Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist

Bjorn

Reader
What usually happens with writers who are really terribly brutally bad (as is suggested by some people here) is that they are completely neglected.
If that were true, how come I just had to watch Bryan Adams sing at the Olympic opening ceremony?
He must have been doing at least s?mething right... judging from his popularity.
I'm not saying he's completely untalented. Consistently playing to the lowest common denominator is, undoubtedly, a talent - something like the talent of McDonald's talent of coming up with new burgers that all taste like absolutely nothing, or Keanu Reeves' talent of... whatever it is he does for his producers to keep getting new roles. But what's the point of writing anything at all about anything at all (if you want to call it literary criticism or on-line ranting) if we cannot have a bit of fun by pointing out what separates good from bad, magic from one-penny-conjurer's tricks, gold from utter shit?

peter_d

Reader
But what's the point of writing anything at all about anything at all (if you want to call it literary criticism or on-line ranting) if we cannot have a bit of fun by pointing out what separates good from bad, magic from one-penny-conjurer's tricks, gold from utter shit?

I agree. Fun it is. Most of the comments are so exaggerated that they are a good laugh. :D And besides that, a common enemy is the greatest guarantee for a flourishing community. So people, bring it on...

Eric

Former Member
There are people who opine that Coelho is harmful to literature... A Brazilian once told me that his Portuguese is not up to scratch.

Stiffelio

Reader
Coelho is the biggest piece of trash to appear in the world of literature. His very name does not even deserve being discussed on this forum and I propose that any past and future reference to this pseudo-writer be obliterated.

Eric

Former Member
Censorship maybe, but there is such a thing as Coelho-abstinence, a voluntary activity, like celibacy.

herenerves

In my opinion, I can't found something bad in Coelho. The alchimist was the first work that I read and I was charmed about the plot and the dialogues between the main character and the other characters, but.. I was 12, and maybe if I read it again now that I'm grown up, I don't know if my opinion will be the same.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I don't know why you guys and gals are so hard on poor Paulo Coelho. I mean, at the start of his career in the '70s he wrote the lyrics to Raul Seixas' songs (as Raphael already mentioned), and, as a rock lyricist, he was second to none:
Ouro de Tolo/Fool's gold.

I ought to be satisfied
Because I have a job
I’m called a respectable citizen
And I earn 4,000 bucks per month
I ought to thank the Lord
For having had success in life as an artist
I ought to be happy
Because I managed to buy a '73 Sedan
I ought to be cheerful and content
Because I live in Ipanema
After having experienced hunger for two years
Here in the Marvelous City
I ought to be smiling and proud
For finally having succeeded in life
But I think it's all a big joke
if not just plain dangerous…

I ought to be satisfied
For having achieved everything I wanted
But I, fool, confess
That I’m disappointed
Because it was all so easy to achieve
And now I ask myself, “What's Next?”
(...)
I ought to be happy because the Lord gave me Sunday
To go with my family to the Zoo,
to give popcorn to the monkeys
Ah, but what a boring guy I am,
I don’t find any of this amusing at all:
Monkey, beach, car,
Newspaper, the ride...
I find it all a bore…

It’s you looking back at me in the mirror
And feeling like a giant idiot
Knowing you’re only human
Ridiculous, limited (...)
And yet you still believe
That you’re doing your part
to keep our beautiful social order intact.
I don't want to sit on an apartment's couch
grinning, my mouth wide open
showing all of my teeth
Waiting for death to arrive…

JCamilo

Reader
It must be noted, that writing rock and roll lyrics is hardly a great feat literary wise. Rock and roll asks for simple minded approach. Even so, Raul Seixas is more a character than a great musician. When the 60-70's militar dictadorship striked out they basically destroyed the brazilian culture. Seixas survival granted him the position of alternative icon, rebel, etc. But the quality of his music is much inferior to his attitude.

This without considering Brazilian musical history. Brazil is a musical country. Not a country for literature. We sing and dance, not read and write. Seixas and Coelho are nowhere close to the writing quality of Cartola, Vinicius, Chico Buarque, Gilberto Gil, etc. Take even Chico Buarque, a Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen level of song writer. His books howerver are nowhere close to his imense talent.

No, Coelho is a bad writer. This would be fine. People can live with that. But he is a bad person, an oportunist of worst kind. His desperates attacks on Joyce (who he probally never read) and attempts to link himself to Borges (Who he claim to have read and based the alchemist in the tale "os dois homens que sonharam", a tale old enough to be registed by Rumi) are vain fame digging.

There is the funniest thing. When he started his blog at Globo, he published a text. Instantly someone posted the e-mail spam with source with that same text. Coelho not just spammed people in his very first post, as he signed as his authorship. His attacks on Iran are blatant immoralities. He published a few books in Iran, hoping to reduce, due the more strict law of Iran, the piratary of his work. Since this didn't work (D'uh, since when Iran is a world wide power able to stop things in other countries?) he gave up. After his agent discovered piraty came to stay and that coelho books are sold in used book stories by cents, they just changed the attitude for the liberal one, releasing works in the web, claimming it was an ethical viewpoint and not a market minded decision. But then, Iran apparently forbidds one of his books. What does Coelho? A fit, demanding the brazilian president to solve the sittuation as if the block of a writer in a country where the governament basically pays and distribute all books for free is, was the most important thing in the world (Mind everyone, brazil-turkey-iran were working in a nuclear deal diplomatic solution for the iran problem, so we know, Coelho was certainly more important than this). Of course, at that momment, the same law he used was awful.

By the way, the Alchemist story... he destroys with the simple minded literal interpreation that our richness is within us (when Borges give us the wonderful interpretation about the possibility of two dreammers had the same dream)... it is funny that he does not exactly know when Borges first published his version. Coelho, who claims ot be a borges writers, does not seem to know well from which book Borges took the story or that he just adapted a tale from other sources...

dsanchez

I haven't read this book but it seems the general consensus here is that it's bad written.

based on that, what good book would you recommend to someone who wanted to read Coelho's The Alchimist?

JCamilo

Reader
Why did you want to read it in first place? Because it was a try on brazilian literature, or you are interessed on spiritual journeys, etc?

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I haven't read this book but it seems the general consensus here is that it's bad written.

based on that, what good book would you recommend to someone who wanted to read Coelho's The Alchimist?

Nothing wrong with The Alchemist, it's plain good ole YA fiction. It's based on a plot from Borges and written by Raul Seixas' lyricist.
Similar Spiritual Quest YA fiction includes Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, Tolkien's The Hobbit and Hesse's Demian.
If it's for orientalist adventures that you yearn, then there's the motherload: The Arabian Nights and its post-modernist mature version: Barth's Quimera or even Lord Dunsany's short stories. A quick quote from one of Lord Dunsany's stories: 'They are very refined and demanding when it comes to their meat. The least good thing they eat is man'.

melodydel

I'm from Brazil and I'm new here. I really found very interesting this post. Because it's a common sense, here, in Brazil, that Paulo Coelho is a terrible writer. And he really doesn't know how to write a book in his own language. And most of people agree that foreign readers really like Paulo Coelho's books only 'cause the translation service that is pretty good related to the things that he writes in portuguese. And about Raul Seixas, Paulo Coelho has changed a lot. He used to be an atheist, involving with drugs in his early days, but now it's completely the opposite. ps. sorry about my bad english.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I'm from Brazil and I'm new here. I really found very interesting this post. Because it's a common sense, here, in Brazil, that Paulo Coelho is a terrible writer. And he really doesn't know how to write a book in his own language. And most of people agree that foreign readers really like Paulo Coelho's books only 'cause the translation service that is pretty good related to the things that he writes in portuguese. And about Raul Seixas, Paulo Coelho has changed a lot. He used to be an atheist, involving with drugs in his early days, but now it's completely the opposite. ps. sorry about my bad english.

Melodydel, thank you so much for your comments. I must admit that Paulo Coelho's Portugues é bem ruim and that he's clumsy on his use of prepositions and conjunctions, but I must give him credit for copying better writers, and at least in many sections of O Alquimista, for writing sentences that are kinda beautiful:

Caminhou sem destino por algum tempo, mantendo as tamareiras do oásis ao alcance de seus olhos. Escutava o vento, e sentia as pedras sob seus pés. Às vezes encontrava alguma concha, e sabia que aquele deserto, num tempo remoto, havia sido um grande mar. Depois sentou-se numa pedra e deixou-se hipnotizar pelo horizonte que existia na sua frente. Não conseguia entender o Amor sem o sentimento de posse; mas Fátima era uma mulher do deserto, e se alguém podia lhe ensinar isto, era o deserto.

Ficou assim, sem pensar em nada, até que pressentiu um movimento sobre sua cabeça. Olhando para o céu, viu que eram dois gaviões, voando muito alto.
O rapaz começou a olhar os gaviões, e os desenhos que eles faziam no céu.
Parecia uma coisa desordenada, entretanto, tinham algum sentido para o rapaz. Apenas não conseguia compreender seu significado. Decidiu então que devia acompanhar com os olhos o movimento dos pássaros, e talvez pudesse ler alguma coisa. Talvez o deserto pudesse lhe explicar o amor sem posse.
Começou a sentir sono. Seu coração pediu para que não dormisse: ao invés disto, devia se entregar. “Estava penetrando na Linguagem do Mundo, e tudo nesta terra faz sentido, até mesmo o vôo de gaviões”, disse. E aproveitou para agradecer pelo fato de estar cheio de amor por uma mulher. “Quando se ama, as coisas fazem ainda mais sentido”, pensou.
De repente, um gavião deu um rápido mergulho no céu e atacou o outro.
Quando fez este movimento, o rapaz teve uma súbita e rápida visão: um exército, de espadas desembainhadas, entrando no oásis. A visão logo sumiu, mas aquilo lhe deixou sobressaltado. Havia ouvido falar das miragens, e já havia visto algumas: eram desejos que se materializavam sobre a areia do deserto. Entretanto, ele não desejava um exército invadindo o oásis.
Pensou em esquecer aquilo e voltar à sua meditação. Tentou novamente concentrar-se no deserto côr-de-rosa e nas pedras. Mas alguma coisa em seu coração não o deixava quieto.
“Siga sempre os sinais”, dissera o velho rei. E o rapaz pensou em Fátima.
Lembrou-se do que havia visto, e pressentiu que estava próximo de acontecer.
Com muita dificuldade, saiu do transe em que havia entrado. Levantou-se, e começou a caminhar em direção às tamareiras. Mais uma vez percebia as muitas linguagens das coisas: desta vez, o deserto era seguro, e o oásis se transformara em perigo.

O cameleiro estava sentado aos pés de uma tamareira, também olhando o pôr-do-sol. Viu quando o rapaz surgiu por detrás de uma das dunas.
– Um exército se aproxima – disse. – Tive uma visão.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Just by coincidence during my browsing today I came upon two instances of Paulo Coelho. The first one came while reading the Korean Web Manhwa 'With the Gods' by Ju Ho-Min, on chapter 9, the other world attorney to the main character tries to encourage the protagonist about his upcoming trial by telling him 'Don't worry. In the world of the living there is a book that has this phrase; every quest starts with beginner's luck'. To which the main character responds, 'I've read that book too. The important thing is the next phrase: and ends with the victor being severely tested'. Those quotes come, of course, from Coelho's The Alchemist.
The second time was while reading an old issue of Venezuelan Playboy, there was an interview with Coelho (I only read that magazine for the interviews, I swear!) Anyways, Coelho made a couple of interesting points. First, that he is the best known writer in the world. J. K. Rowling may sell more books, but nobody knows who she is, and every body knows Paulo Coelho. Second, that he is well loved by the Brazilian people, it's just the mass of the cultural elite who are too severe with his work, and that is because they are fascists. But he has outlasted the cultural elite. Cultural publications in Brazil have either disappeared or are greatly diminished in numbers, while his books continue to enjoy a mass readership. In any case, he'd rather be reviewed on the Coming Attractions section of the newspapers rather than on the Cultural section: people read the Coming Attractions you see...