Postmodernism

Ben Jackson

Postmodernism is an artistic and literary movement which rejects principles of established modernism. It was influenced by the theories of Jacques Derrida, Federic Jameson, Foucault and others. Magic realism and meta-fiction is considered part of Postmodernism.

Key Members:
?? Vladimir Nabokov
?? Italo Calvino, Umberto Eco
?? Paul Auster, Vonnegut, Pynchon, Robert Coover, William Burroughs, Don De Lillo, John Barth, John Hawkes, William Gaddis
?? Gerald Murnane
?? Salma Rushdie
?? Haruki Murakami
?? Mo Yan
??????? John Fowles, JG Ballard
?? Jachym Topol

Liam

Administrator
The more interesting question for me (at this point in my life) would be, Is there anything after postmodernism? Or are we pretty much stuck with it forever? Not that humanity is going to be around for much longer, by the looks of things, so maybe it's a silly question to ask, ?

Ben Jackson

The more interesting question for me (at this point in my life) would be, Is there anything after postmodernism? Or are we pretty much stuck with it forever? Not that humanity is going to be around for much longer, by the looks of things, so maybe it's a silly question to ask, ?
Same question I asked myself, until I found out about Empatism, a new artistic and literary movement that just began in Italy in 2020. I don't know anybody who is influenced by this movement yet; haven't read any author from this movement as well. Seems the world is still stuck with Postmodernism.

Benny Profane

Maybe Hyper-realism, Neo-brutalism or Cyber-modernism.

Benny Profane

Same question I asked myself, until I found out about Empatism, a new artistic and literary movement that just began in Italy in 2020. I don't know anybody who is influenced by this movement yet; haven't read any author from this movement as well. Seems the world is still stuck with Postmodernism.
Empatism from empathy?

Leseratte

Isn't that the New Sincerity ?

Liam

Administrator
Cyber-modernism.
I was going to say something similar as the world becomes increasingly digitized, human writing is going to resemble more and more the language of computer programs, etc. I honestly hope it doesn't come to that as that would be pretty boring (to me), but I'm sure plenty of people would still find that interesting so... ?‍♂️

Ben Jackson

Empatism from empathy?

Yea.

The main objective in this movement is to present empathy as the artistic backdrop, just like absurdism was to absurdist fiction. It just began in 2020, so maybe it'll take some time before it reaches mainstream. It's different from New Sincerity.

"The movement was born in South Italy and places empathy at the center of a new vision of the self," according to Wikipedia. Wikipedia page listed the key members/leaders of the movement.

Benny Profane

I was going to say something similar as the world becomes increasingly digitized, human writing is going to resemble more and more the language of computer programs, etc. I honestly hope it doesn't come to that as that would be pretty boring (to me), but I'm sure plenty of people would still find that interesting so... ?‍♂️
Have you heard about ChatGPT, @Liam , our new phenomenon? I think it is our future...

Well, I believe that Postmodernism last so long is because since 00's we have no millennial big name who innovated nothing. What we have now is what was left from 20th century.
100 years ago, we had James Joyce, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Marcel Proust, Virginia Woolf, Scott Fitzgerald, Sinclar Lewis, the Modernist Week in Brazil, etc.
And today? Nothing! ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Yea.

The main objective in this movement is to present empathy as the artistic backdrop, just like absurdism was to absurdist fiction. It just began in 2020, so maybe it'll take some time before it reaches mainstream. It's different from New Sincerity.

"The movement was born in South Italy and places empathy at the center of a new vision of the self," according to Wikipedia. Wikipedia page listed the key members/leaders of the movement.

wordeater

Postmodernism is vague to define. I see it as a reaction against modernism, which was heading too much in one direction. Juxtaposing older and newer style elements is possible, jumping between highbrow and lowbrow, and inclusion of a non-western perspective.

Some names: Abdulrazak Gurnah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, David Mitchell, Yann Martel, Michel Faber, Isabel Allende, Lyudmila Ulitskaya, Haruki Murakami...

Ben Jackson

Have you heard about ChatGPT, @Liam , our new phenomenon? I think it is our future...

Well, I believe that Postmodernism last so long is because since 00's we have no millennial big name who innovated nothing. What we have now is what was left from 20th century.
100 years ago, we had James Joyce, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Marcel Proust, Virginia Woolf, Scott Fitzgerald, Sinclar Lewis, the Modernist Week in Brazil, etc.
And today? Nothing! ?‍♂️

I think the issue for lack of artistic innovation is artistic laziness on the part of the writers and the inattention in literature on the part of the writers.

Also 100 years ago, there was Andre Brenton and Tristan Tzara, leaders of both Surrealism and Dadaism.

About David Forster Wallace, I think he collaborated in some albums by Sonic Youth and R E M.

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
Isn't it this new Bizarro Fiction Genre, one of these new movement ?

Kenji Siratori's books are that coming to my mind. I have his 'Nonexistence' waiting to be read. Cyberpunk Literature and all that..

Leseratte

ralfy

Reader

ChatGPT doesn’t mark the end of high school English class, but it can mark the end of formulaic, mediocre writing performance as a goal for students and teachers. That end is long overdue, and if ChatGPT hastens that end, then that is good news.

Check out the first comment to that article.

Now that might be about to change. The arrival of OpenAI’s ChatGPT, a program that generates sophisticated text in response to any prompt you can imagine, may signal the end of writing assignments altogether—and maybe even the end of writing as a gatekeeper, a metric for intelligence, a teachable skill.

Advice:

• Design AI-proof assignments
  • Devise better AI detection practices
  • Have students hand write their essays in class
  • Help students use the tool wisely and effectively

• ChatGPT is only a few months old and already causing waves in the business world.
  • Experts say ChatGPT and related AI could threaten some jobs, particularly white-collar ones.
  • Insider compiled a list of 10 jobs this technology could replace, according to experts.

Benny Profane

Interesting articles.
I suggest to the staff members do a off-topic thread about ChatGPT to not distort this thread.
What do you think, guys?

Last edited: