Postmodernism

Benny Profane

Isn't it this new Bizarro Fiction Genre, one of these new movement ?

Kenji Siratori's books are that coming to my mind. I have his 'Nonexistence' waiting to be read. Cyberpunk Literature and all that..
Thanks for sharing these links, @kpjayan !

Well, about this movement, "nothing new on the western front".
Penny Dreadful Magazines in 19th century and Pulp Fiction Magazines in 20th century approached these subjects, but to treat these subjects, new authors became into a "cult status".

My point is: nobody wrote so far a tipical fiction of 21th century. All millennial writers are stuck in a glorious past (as it was my case to cite above Erich Maria Remarque). I also think the fiction reached the limit of innovation.
Or we will innovate with chatbots and other things to do a new kind of fiction or we will have a radical rupture with the past Literature dealing with chatbots. It's a point of no return.

Leseratte

Thanks for sharing these links, @kpjayan !

Well, about this movement, "nothing new on the western front".
Penny Dreadful Magazines in 19th century and Pulp Fiction Magazines in 20th century approached these subjects, but to treat these subjects, new authors became into a "cult status".

My point is: nobody wrote so far a tipical fiction of 21th century. All millennial writers are stuck in a glorious past (as it was my case to cite above Erich Maria Remarque). I also think the fiction reached the limit of innovation.
Or we will innovate with chatbots and other things to do a new kind of fiction or we will have a radical rupture with the past Literature dealing with chatbots. It's a point of no return.
I have the same impression, Benny. The glorious past is dying a bit more every day, witness are the obituary threads. Good oeuvres, but no giants have appeared as yet in the 21st Century. Maybe the future great creations will be collective creations. This is "the dawning of the age of aquarius" after all.

Benny Profane

Guys, I wouldn't like to start a new thread about Andy Warhol, so I will use this thread to ask you about a particular novel.

I particularlly have an interest to read a, A Novel and I was very curious after read the subject of this novel (it's an answer to Joyce's Ulysses).

So, has someone read this novel?

Last edited:

umbrarchist

The more interesting question for me (at this point in my life) would be, Is there anything after postmodernism? Or are we pretty much stuck with it forever? Not that humanity is going to be around for much longer, by the looks of things, so maybe it's a silly question to ask, ?
What if postmodernism is a dead end, and really just a neurotic offshoot of European psycho-intellectual evolution?

Like PTSD resulting from the trauma of the First and Second World Wars that never should have happened.

umbrarchist

Thank you, @umbrarchist. A very clear and didactic explanation of postmodernism. To those like me, who turn on cc, I recommend however maintaining the audio, because there are many mistakes in the transcription.
Stuff like this shows that I do not analyze literature as much as some people do.

I started reading SF in 4th grade and read 100s of stories by 9th grade when I got my first English Literature course. The teacher starts talking about "first person" and "third person" and I'm like, "the who what?" And when I finally understood it, "Who cares?" Screw Holden Caulfield I'm not reading passed page 20. LOL

Give me a B, I'm out of here!

Literary Philistines Rule!

Last edited:

TrixRabbi

I think the question of whether any has or can come after postmodernism is a really interesting one, because it feels like it's such an expansive, all-encompassing classification that the entire era is postmodern. The element of self-awareness that postmodernism has almost feels like it's impossible to write something literary (besides escapist or genre fiction) that isn't in some way reflecting postmodern ideas, they're so seeped into literature.

I'm also not too familiar with Empathism, and New Sincerity, or postpostmodernism just felt like a variation on postmodernism rather than something truly new. But I do think a rejection of irony will be one of the key necessities for any true advance beyond postmodernism. Not that irony is a bad thing per se, but it feels like the glue trap so much of modern culture has gotten trapped in.