Premio Camões

JCamilo

Reader
Well, there are some levels of complexity, but at the time, there was a huge debate because it was some sort of shift of power from Portugal to Brasil, and there was a lot of problems to publishing with the new rules, things moved to another date, money wasted and some odd idea that we need to have a "One portuguese to rule them all" kind of thing, which does not even make sense inside brazil alone, imagine with all african countries.

Bartleby

The Camões Prize has just been awarded to Mozambican writer Paulina Chiziane. Her book "Balada de amor ao vento", published in 1990, was the first novel ever published in Mozambique by a woman.
I was just coming here to post this hehe

I was searching and the book that Rascunho magazine said was her most important, Niketche, has been published by Archipelago Books as The First Wife.

Benny Profane

I thought the winner would be Nélida Piñon, Adélia Prado or Lídia Jorge, but it was a very good choice.
It always would be good to see an african laureate in Camões Prize, principally if the laureate was black.

Last edited:

Leseratte

A great essayist! Deserved and awaited choice!
To be sure. But he is a very old critic, one of the critics I used to read in my university time. His winning a Camões in 2022 may be a sign that there has been little innovation in the Brazilian critical scene. They are awarding the survivors of the 20 C.

Leseratte

These collection of essays is from 2002 and contains what probably is his most interesting theoretical contribution to the analysis of Latin American Literature, the concept of "the space in-between" of Latin American Literature ( "o entre-lugar da literatura latino americana. It seems that the essays can be downloaded individually or else one must be connected be to an university library where one maybe can download them for free.