Premio Camões

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
It's a bit late, but better late than never. The author of the Vampire of Curitiba, Dalton Trevisan received in absentia the Camoes Prize for 2012 on last December:

http://www.publico.pt/cultura/notic...mais-pensei-merecer-tamanha-distincao-1577264

I find it very interesting that the Jury compared Trevisan to the summits of the short story history:
Edgar Allan Poe, Machado de Assis, Jorge Luis Borges.

Dalton's latest book is O Anão e a Ninfeta/The Dwarf and the Nymphet, winner of the 2012 Portugal Telecom Prize for Short Story.

Oh, and by the way Valter Hugo Mãe won the 2012 Portugal Telecom Prize for Novel with his A máquina de fazer espanhóis.

http://www.publico.pt/cultura/notic...cedor-do-premio-portugal-telecom-2012-1575085

Last edited:

Heteronym

Reader
Re: Dalton Trevisan receives Camoes Prize

I read The Vampire of Curitiba today. I thought it was a weak book. I find the comparisons absurd on all cases, save Machado de Assis, whom I also find a weak writer. Trevisan is no Borges.

Heteronym

Reader
Re: Novelist Mia Couto wins 2013 Camoes Prize

Few writers deserve it as much as he does. I've been anxious for this announcement - not just the announcement that Mia Couto finally received the Camões Prize, but the 2013 announcement, which came a bit later than usual this year. I was beginning to think he was never going to get it.

I'm especially happy the award went to someone not Portuguese or Brazilian. Portuguese-language African literature has been sorely ignored by the prize, even though it's of the best being written in the Portuguese language.

Daniel del Real

Re: Novelist Mia Couto wins 2013 Camoes Prize

I want to join myself to the celebration of Couto winning this very coveted prize. He is a very talented writer that gives a new dimension to Africa, one eye deep in their traditions and the other inquisitive on European colonialism. Also glad, because what Heteronym says about giving the prize to an African writing in Portuguese, is very important to make the language more universal. Two novels by him I've read so far; it's not that easy at all finding the Spanish translations in Latin America.

Vazquez

Reader
Re: Dalton Trevisan receives Camoes Prize

Many years ago a poet friend of mine here from Curitiba made a short poem about Paulo Leminsky that is perfect for Dalton Trevisan (both are from Curitiba):

Paulo Leminsky

In the land of the blind
The one-eyed man is Camões.

Comparing Trevisan with Edgar Allan Poe, Machado de Assis and Jorge Luis Borges is an offense to comparison itself.

Vazquez

Reader
Raduan Nassar won the Prêmio Camões. I have never read anything by him - has anyone here read? It should be noticed he has written just 3 books - two novels (Ancient Tillage and A Cup of Rage) and a collection of short stories (Girl on the Way). Then he had retired from writing (so he could raise chickens). People say those books are amazing, I´ll try to check them out asap.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Re: Premio Camões 2016 goes to Raduan Nassar

Raduan Nassar won the Prêmio Camões. I have never read anything by him - has anyone here read? It should be noticed he has written just 3 books - two novels (Ancient Tillage and A Cup of Rage) and a collection of short stories (Girl on the Way). Then he had retired from writing (so he could raise chickens). People say those books are amazing, I´ll try to check them out asap.

They should be amazing in order to win the highest recognition Portuguese language awards. Something like Juan Rulfo who only wrote two books.
Last year, Sexto Piso published A Cup of Rage in Spanish translation. I just searched it and it only has 79 pages! Are the other two books that short as well?

Daniel del Real

Now I'm really curious about it. I'll buy A Cup of Rage this weekend.

Hope it'll be a better experience than with latest contemporary Brazilian authors I've read: Cristovão Tezza & Joao Ubaldo Ribeiro's books were awful and honestly I expected way much from Chico Buarque.

Also curious on this guy Joca Reiners and his book A tristeza extraordinária do Leopardo-das-Neves

DouglasM

Reader

Daniel, which book from Ubaldo did you read?

Raduan Nassar is a great writer, though I have my reservations regarding the prize being given to such a small body of work.

Daniel del Real

Daniel, which book from Ubaldo did you read?

Raduan Nassar is a great writer, though I have my reservations regarding the prize being given to such a small body of work.

It was O feitiço da Ilha do Pavão. It wasn't that bad, but he kept going over and over to the same to the point it became tedious.

lucasdiniz

Reader

He's one of the few great living writers in Brazil. At least that's what I've heard. I didn't know his books were so short. I can't end this year without reading them!
João Ubaldo is so amazing! I read "A Casa dos Budas Ditosos" and "Um Brasileiro Em Berlim" from him. Really liked it. He's the most Brazilian author I've ever read, haha.

DouglasM

Reader
Camões Prize

Camões Prize, the most prestigious prize in the Portuguese language, was awarded yesterday to Manuel Alegre, from Portugal.

With a long career in literature - and politics -, Alegre's choice is a far cry from last year's Raduan Nassar, who had published only two novellas and a collection of short stories.

It would be interesting to see Heteronym's (or any other user from Portugal) opinion on this, given that Alegre's name is not known internationally, even among Portuguese-speaking countries.

A complete list of former laureates can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camões_Prize

Stevie B

Current Member
I think the book pictured below is the only de Almeida title translated into English:

51EC5hmrUdL._AC_US218_.jpg

tiganeasca

I actually have a copy of the solitary English title tucked away. Guess this would be a good time to open it up and take a peek....

Ludus

Reader
Wow! This year's prize went to Chico Buarque! Congratulations :)

Those are great news! He is extraordinary. Also, a few months ago I discovered that he is a novelist too, although I don't know how good a novelist he is. I know him for his lyrics,but I have a copy of "O Irmão Alemão" in Spanish translation on my shelves, so I might give it a try very soon.

Bartleby

Those are great news! He is extraordinary. Also, a few months ago I discovered that he is a novelist too, although I don't know how good a novelist he is. I know him for his lyrics,but I have a copy of "O Irmão Alemão" in Spanish translation on my shelves, so I might give it a try very soon.
Guess you'd be better off starting with either Budapest or spilt milk ;)