Premio Cervantes

Daniel del Real

The Premio Cervantes 2010 was awarded today to Spanish writer Ana María Matute. Continuing with the tradition, this year's prize go to a Spanish author since last year Mexican poet José Emilio Pachecho was honoured with this distinction.
The 85 year old novelist is part of the generation called "the children of war" which comprehends such important Spanish writers as Juan Marsé, Rafael Sánchez Ferlosio and Juan Goytisolo.

Here's the wiki link on her bio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_María_Matute

I've never read anything from her, so again I turn to you guys for your knowledge to provide opinions if you read it already. Maybe Manuel is the right one to answer this.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Jose Manuel Caballero Bonald, Spanish poet wins 2012 Premio Cervantes

The great poet from Jerez Caballero Bonald has beaten Eduardo Mendoza, Antonio Muñoz Molina, Juan and Luis Goytisolo to win this year Cervantes.

http://www.lne.es/sociedad-cultura/...goytisolo-optan-premio-cervantes/1333998.html (Spanish)

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/archive/201211c.htm#ew5 (English).

A little sample poem:

Apocrypha from the Palatine Anthology

Oh sudden mouth that visited me
in the slow trek of the night,
docile at times and occassionaly
brimming with fury,
who
triggered your Olympic
anxiety, spreading
a delicate languorous ooze
between the legs of the demigods?

Oh opaque surroundings
of memory that repeat the already lived,
When this writer
with impunity loved not at the temple
of Aphrodite in Corinth
but in the Andalusian clandestine chamber
where you officiated as supreme hetaira
the great mother of heroes, fugitive
from Hades and only yesterday
sold into slavery
in the godless port of Algeciras.

Apócrifo de la antología palatina

Súbita boca que hasta mí llegó
en el lento transcurso de la noche,
dócil de pronto y de improviso
rezumante de furia,
¿quién
activó su olímpica
ansiedad, esparciendo
un delicado zumo de estupor
entre las ingles de los semidioses?

Oh derredor opaco
del recuerdo que suple lo vivido,
cuando quien esto escribe
amaba impunemente no en el templo
de Afrodita en Corinto
sino en la clandestina alcoba bética
donde oficiaba de suprema hetaira
la gran madre de héroes, fugitiva
del Hades y ayer mismo
vendida como esclava
en el impío puerto de Algeciras.

And the ending of Crescent Moon/Cuarto Creciente

And so until time froze
into a frieze inlaid with stars of white lead, among whose emblems
Acrobatic ran a light like lethargy. But she,
the lady of the crescent moon, was a lascivious flower installed in the raunchy night.
She was the spider that fucks while still dancing in the middle of a clamor of bangles and rattles.
Her enameled underbelly vibrated on the couch like a tambourine spasm
and a world of sacral lusts suddenly syncopated the rhythmic hegemony of nipples.
Canon of beauty, her only mistake had been to shave her pubic hair
when she half understood that she descended collaterally from the Abencerraje lineage.

Y así hasta que el tiempo se detuvo
en un friso taraceado de estrellas de albayalde, entre cuyos emblemas
discurría una luz acrobática parecida al letargo. Pero ella,
la regidora del cuarto creciente, era una flor lasciva instalada en la noche.
Era la araña que copula sin dejar de bailar entre una algarabía de ajorcas y sonajas.
El esmaltado vientre vibraba en el diván como un espasmo de pandero
y un mundo de sacrales lujurias sincopaba de pronto la rítmica hegemonía de los pezones. Canon de la hermosura, su único error había consistido en rasurarse el pubis
cuando medio entendió que descendía por línea colateral de los Abencerrajes.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Re: Jose Manuel Caballero Bonald, Spanish poet wins 2012 Premio Cervantes

This was Spain's year for the Cervantes (as you can see all the "nominees" where from Spain) and although my perennial favorite is Juan Goytisolo I was happy for Caballero Bonald, an eternal candidate who finally got it at 86. I have to admit I haven't read anything by him, but after the prize and the poem you published Cleanthess I really want to remedy that.
Next year the Cervantes will come to Latin America, but in 2014 I really really want Juan Goytisolo to be awarded; after all he's not a young lad anymore (he'll be 82 next January)

Stiffelio

Reader
Re: Mexican writer Elena Poniatowska wins Cervantes Prize

This is a bad joke! Oh well, she's always been a good, politically correct lobbyist.

Daniel del Real

Premio Cervantes 2015

I'm really happy Fernando del Paso was announced a couple of days ago as the winner for this year. He should've gotten it two years ago when I don't know how, Elena Poniatowska got it. Happy not only because he is a great writer and for surely deserves it, but because this year has been full of celebrations fue to his 80th birthday and this comes to crown an excellent 2015 for him.

Couple of links:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/fernando-del-paso-wins-miguel-de-cervantes-prize/

http://www.dw.com/en/top-spanish-literature-award-for-mexican-fernando-del-paso/a-18846109

Daniel del Real

Premio Cervantes 2016

Last week it was announced, that Premio Cervantes 2016 was awarded to Spaniard writer Eduardo Mendoza.
I'm glad about this choice, as it gets some distance from the seriousness this kind of prizes usually bring. Mendoza is a very clever writer and he is very good at creating humor withing his stories, something that is not fully appreciated nowadays, especially with Spanish language writers.

Here's a good review for one of his works and some comments on some other from some members of the forum:

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com...o-Mendoza-No-Word-From-Gurb?highlight=mendoza

Daniel del Real

Re: Premio Cervantes 2016

Well guys, if you want to speculate about Cervantes Prize for 2017 I think it's a good time to do it. It should be awarded within a month and by the unwritten One-and-one policy, this year goes to Latin American.
Here are some possible candidates

The Poets

We'll start with four poets that are +90 years old and I think at leat two of them should be really strong contenders for this prize.

ni.gif
Ernesto Cardenal.
uy.gif
Ida Vitale
cu.gif
Fina García Marrúz
sv.gif
Claribel Alegría

My personal favorite is Cardenal. He is a catholic priest, thus his poetry is charged with the element of mysticism. However, he shouldn't be only considered under that category as he also has a poetic about everyday nature, having poems dedicated to Marylin Monroe and also very courageous poems about the Revolución Sandinista, in which he participated. Vitale is a very different poet, more subtle and contemplative, more of the inner self and her surroundings. Wish I could tell more about the other two females in the list, but I've only read a few of her poems at the web. I really hope one of this poets wins it.

ve.gif
Rafael Cadenas
mx.gif
Eduardo Lizalde

Cadenas won the Premio FIL a few years ago. He can be considered a poet of the defeat. Some of his best poems are dedicated to destruct himself, and this makes it a very peculiar feature. Lizalde is probably one of the most recognized Mexican living poets, and he was awarded with the Carlos Fuentes Prize last year. Frankly, I'm not sure how good he is; José Emilio Pacheco or Alí Chumacero died "recently" and now he takes the torch of a poetic movement that probably doesn't have the best to offer now.

Daniel del Real

Let's continue with Prose.

The Obvious but Dubious

ar.gif
César Aira
cu.gif
Leonardo Padura

Being the only Latin American name considered a potential Nobel in the latest years, his name comes as a very strong choice for the Cervantes. However, I don't think he has that strong reputation within the Spanish langauge community, specially when the Cervantes committee is very conservative with their choices. The peculiarity of his ouvre can work against him, though on the contrary of some other years, I start thinking about him as a worthy winner.
Padura is also a big name, and winning the Premio Princesa de Asturias a couple of years ago could mean he is already in the eye of the Academia de la Lengua or that it was a consolation prize for him. Hard to see a laureate mainly writting detective novels, although it is certain his Mario Conde novels go beyond, expanding and enriching the genre.

The Colombians

co.gif
Fernando Vallejo
co.gif
William Ospina
co.gif
Tomás González

Vallejo won the Premio FIL but his works don't impress me. Also his very controversial persona, although hilarious to me, doesn't help him at all. Ospina is a narrator that has gained a lot of recognition lately. He won the Romulo Gallegos Prize, the most important prize in Latin America for a single novel with El País de la Canela. González is a writer that has been under the radar for such a long time but his works are being brought to the light again with important reeditions by major publishing groups. He has a very direct prose, with no waste at all. It blends perfectly with his most common topics, always dealing with very harsh stopics as suicide, euthanasia, kidnapping and marital violence.

Daniel del Real

You've pretty much named everyone. The only other two I can think of are Alfredo Bryce and Margo Glantz.

I'm still missing the Centroamericanos. Alfredo Bryce Echenique had this huge issue of proven plagiarism dealing with "his" journalistic writings. Even when he won the Premio FIL it was highly questionable among the media and cultural institutions. Because of this he didn't even show up to pick the prize and there was no award ceremony that year.
Margo Glantz is also a valid name to consider, but as I haven't read her I cannot tell much about her or I'd look like Isa.

garzuit

Former Member
Let me offer one more name: Argentinian novelist Marcos Aguinis. He has won the Premio Planeta and other awards, including Premio Nacional de Literatura in Argentina. I strongly recommend his novel La Gesta del Marrano. A story of a Jewish doctor in the times of the Inquisition in the Americas. A great portrait of courage and dignity.
He also had a very interesting life, having studied music, neurosurgery and psychoanalysis!

garzuit

Former Member
No way they can award this to Bryce Echenique. His FIL prize caused quite a turmoil (for deserved reasons).

Daniel del Real

Los Centroamericanos

sv.gif
Horacio Castellanos Moya
gt.gif
Rodrigo Rey Rosa
ni.gif
Sergio Ramírez

From this group my preference goes with Rey Rosa. He is a writer with a very lean prose and a wide range. His different stayings around the world (Tánger, New York, Barcelona) has given him an extense panorama in where he can set his stories with realisting settings. He also has a part of his works dedicated to Guatemala and its climate of violence. Castellanos Moyas is very familiar with this kind of writings. Violence, guerrillas, crime and bloodbaths are common topics in his novels. He can also be very funny sometimes, but also very repetitive and lacks depth in his characters. I add Sergio Ramírez because despite he really really bores me, he is a very recognized writer and has won important awards already.

Daniel del Real

Let me offer one more name: Argentinian novelist Marcos Aguinis. He has won the Premio Planeta and other awards, including Premio Nacional de Literatura in Argentina. I strongly recommend his novel La Gesta del Marrano. A story of a Jewish doctor in the times of the Inquisition in the Americas. A great portrait of courage and dignity.
He also had a very interesting life, having studied music, neurosurgery and psychoanalysis!

Interesting name. I think I had never heard of him before. Will take a look for that specific novela.

garzuit

Former Member
I quite like Fernando Vallejo. Even his "obsessions", his misanthropy, his diatribes against human reproduction, etc. I loved Virgen de los Sicarios and El Desbarrancadero. I also loved La Puta de Babilonia. I just don't think he has a huge body of work for the Cervantes. He keeps saying that he's retired from writing and he keeps returning, it's funny.
William Ospina is too young. The Cervantes is usually given to writers in their 70s, 80s. Ursúa and El País de la Canela were wonderful. I still have to read the last of the trilogy, but I read it was a letdown from the other 2 books.

Daniel del Real

I quite like Fernando Vallejo. Even his "obsessions", his misanthropy, his diatribes against human reproduction, etc. I loved Virgen de los Sicarios and El Desbarrancadero. I also loved La Puta de Babilonia. I just don't think he has a huge body of work for the Cervantes. He keeps saying that he's retired from writing and he keeps returning, it's funny.
William Ospina is too young. The Cervantes is usually given to writers in their 70s, 80s. Ursúa and El País de la Canela were wonderful. I still have to read the last of the trilogy, but I read it was a letdown from the other 2 books.

Yes, I agree his misanthropy is really funny. I stand for a lot of things he says, like human reproduction but I'm also completely opposed to stop eating animals :rolleyes:. Sometimes his declarations go too far; once he said it was worse to kill an animal than to have sex with children. That's completely idiotic. I read La Virgen de los Sicarios and La Puta de Babilonia as well and he didn't convince me at all.

Ospina can be young for the Cervantes. It is true than, on the contrary of the Nobel Prize, Cervantes awards older writers, like Nicanor Parra at 97.
This would give less chances to before mentioned writers like Rey Rosa (58) and Castellanos Moya (59)

Daniel del Real

Just a follow up on my last post about "age when awarded".
Since the Cervantes Prize has been awarded since 1976, I made a quick comparison between both of them, starting that same year.

Cervantes: 76.3
Nobel: 68.2

Almost a decade.

garzuit

Former Member
Since the Cervantes Prize has been awarded since 1976, I made a quick comparison between both of them, starting that same year.

Almost a decade.
And many Cervantes winners lived quite a long life, well into their late 80s and 90s.

Stevie B

Current Member

Almost a decade.

Guess it could be at least another 25 years for Junot Diaz, Alejandro Zambra, Yuri Herrera, and Valeria Luiselli. Hope I'm still around.