Premio Cervantes

Ludus

Reader
I didn't know he had declined another award. What other than A Heart So White is good by him?

Written Lives, an essay collection on the lives of some writers like Faulkner, Joyce, Wilde, Barnes... Good stuff, very funny, he pretty much laughs his ass off with their eccentricities.

Also Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me is nice.

Ludus

Reader
Sorry man, still trying to get it out of my organism. But hey, FIL is around the corner and I cannot be happier. I have my program ready, days off from work and I live 5 minutes away by car :geek:
Shit man, that sounds chingón. I´m thinking about going for the weekend so I can stalk Alessandro Baricco ?

Daniel del Real

I'd be thrilled if Raúl Zurita wins. He is a tremendous poet but I also love his persona. A week ago he was photographed at the streets in Santiago de Chile jonining the protests again Piñeira's regime, asking for better life conditions just like everyone else.

palinuro

it should be a Spanish writer, right? we will know in just 3 minutes. My personal favorite is Rafael Cadenas, but I dont see that happening this year.

Daniel del Real

Don't know who that guy is.

Been reading some of his poems, and I'm frankly underwhelmed:

I became aware of his name when he was awarded the Premio Reina Sofía de Poesía Iberoamericana a few months ago. Haven't read him so I cannot judge.

Ludus

Reader
I´m at work. Not a lot to do, so I started reading about Margarit. Turns out he is the continuation of the tradition of calatan poetry being translated in spanish by the same authors who write it. Pretty interesting stuff. I´m interested in reading his collected poetry (almsost 40 years of writing!) and a collection of essays that I found in the web. Maybe the poems I read in the link I shared here are not his best. Will try and tell y´all what I find.

Ludus

Reader
Also, my bad. He strenuously affirms that he is not a catalán poet translating himself to spanish. He is both a poet in Spanish and Catalán, his poems (for what I understood) live simultaneously between both languages. Fascinating!

Daniel del Real

To be awarded the Cervantes, all if not most of your ouvre must be written in Spanish. They cannot award a poet in Catalan translated to Spanish. In that case Pere Gimferrer would be the obvious choice.

Americanreader

Just ordered Tugs in the Fog, one of his volumes in English from the inter library loan service, I'll see how he is and report back. Haven't read any Catalan works, so I'm excited!

Ludus

Reader
Found a poem I really liked in Margarit´s Aguafuerte and I roughly translated it for you :)

No tires las cartas de amor
Ellas no te abandonarán.
El tiempo pasará, se borrará el deseo
-esta flecha de sombra-
y los sensuales rostros, bellos e inteligentes,
se ocultarán en ti, al fondo de un espejo.
Caerán los años. Te cansarán los libros.
Descenderás aún más
e, incluso, perderás la poesía.
El ruido de ciudad en los cristales
acabará por ser tu única música,
y las cartas de amor que habrás guardados
serán tu última literatura.
Don´t throw away love letters
They will not leave you.
Time will pass, desire will be erased
--that arrow made of shadows--
and those sensuous faces, fair and clever,
will hide in you, deep inside a mirror.
Years will fall. Books will tire you.
You will descend even more
and you will even lose poetry.
The sound of the city in the glass
will end up being your only music,
and the love letters you kept with you
will be the last literature you have left.

Americanreader

I just read some of his poems in English, and maybe it was a translation issue, but he didn’t do a whole lot for me personally. The imagery was kind of lacking for me, but I guess you can’t love everyone. If you like him, more power to you though.