Prix Goncourt

lionel

Reader
Re: Goncourt 2010

Régis Debray entre à l'Académie Goncourt

L’écrivain Régis Debray, 70 ans, a été élu le 11 janvier à l’Académie Goncourt.

«Lors de sa réunion de rentrée du 11 janvier 2011, l’Académie Goncourt a élu Régis Debray au couvert de Michel Tournier qui avait, en juin 2010, demandé à être admis à l’honorariat», a annoncé l’institution dans un communiqué. Michel Tournier y avait été nommé en 1972, deux ans après l’attribution du Goncourt au Roi des aulnes (éd. Gallimard). Régis Debray, philosophe et écrivain engagé a obtenu le prix Femina en 1977 pour La neige brûle (éd. Grasset), et a récemment publié Éloge des frontières (éd. Gallimard). Il s’est notamment illustré aux côtés de Che Guevara dans les années 60 et fut chargé de mission auprès de François Mitterrand entre 1981 et 1985.

He's come a long way since Revolution in the Revolution.

BLOG

pesahson

Reader
Prix Goncourt 2011

Here's the second selection for Prix Goncourt this year:

Delphine de Vigan Rien ne s'oppose à la nuit (JC Lattès)

Lyonel Trouillot La belle amour humaine (Actes Sud)

Morgan Sportès Tout, tout de suite (Fayard)

Véronique Ovaldé Des vies d'oiseaux (L'Olivier)

Carole Martinez Du Domaine des Murmures (Gallimard)

Alexis Jenni L'Art français de la guerre (Gallimard)

David Foenkinos Les souvenirs (Gallimard)

Sorj Chalandon Retour à Killybegs (Grasset)

The third selection is going to be announced on October 25th. The winner will be announced on November 2nd.

The only name that rings a bell is Véronique Ovaldé but I haven't read any of the books from the list.

pesahson

Reader
Re: Prix Goncourt 2011

The third selection:

Sorj Chalandon Retour à Killybegs Grasset

Alexis Jenni L’Art français de la guerre Gallimard

Carole Martinez Du Domaine des Murmures Gallimard

Lyonel Trouillot La belle amour humaine Actes Sud

Re: Prix Goncourt 2011

Alexis Jenni L’Art français de la guerre Gallimard

The victor.

"Limonov" won the Renaudot consolation prize. It was the one I was most interested in given that I had read a lot about the book's subject through The Exile, including some of Limonov's own writings in pidgin English.

Where's that Anglo fellow who always went "France roxx0rz, England suxx0rz" in the threads about French literature and championed Nothomb BTW?

Prix Goncourt 2014: Lydie Salvayre - "Pas pleurer"

Just went to Lydie Salvayre's Pas pleurer.

Promotional clip for the book by the author:

http://www.seuil.com/video-110.htm

I read a Portuguese translation of Salvayre's La compagnie des spectres a few years ago and liked it - that was some strong stuff.

Daniel del Real

Re: Goncourt 2016 shortlist revealed

Interesting but I don't know any of the names at the shortlist :(

More familiar with the jury:

le jury du Goncourt se compose de Bernard Pivot, Paule Constant, Pierre Assouline, Françoise Chandernagor, Didier Decoin, Philippe Claudel, Patrick Rambaud, Tahar Ben Jelloun et, pour la première fois cette année, Virginie Despentes et Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt.

hoodoo

Reader

I've read Microfictions by Regis Jauffret, a great book if you're into dark humour. I own another book by him, Asile de fous, but haven't read it yet. I might check out Cannibales.

Petit Pays seems like a good read as well. I'm looking forward to checking out the nominees

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe

I second the Microfictions recommendation. Univers, univers is even better, imho. I can also recommend Celine Minard, whose Le grand jeu is a candidate to the Prix Médicis and Eric Vuillard, whose 14 Juillet is candidate for the Prix Interallié.

Last edited:

2017 final shortlist:
Yannick Haenel - Tiens ferme ta couronne
Véronique Olmi - Bakhita
Eric Vuillard - L'Ordre du jour
Alice Zeniter - L'Art de perdre

Sisyphus

Reader

I read last year's winner, Chanson Douce by Leila Slimani and was anything but impressed. I found the writing to be amateurish and the plot uninteresting, so I was a little shocked to be honest. But maybe the translation wasn't good enough.

Has anybody read any of the books on this year's shortlist?

Daniel del Real

I read last year's winner, Chanson Douce by Leila Slimani and was anything but impressed. I found the writing to be amateurish and the plot uninteresting, so I was a little shocked to be honest. But maybe the translation wasn't good enough.

Has anybody read any of the books on this year's shortlist?

Not at all. I am aware of three out of the four names. No idea about Haenel though.
Vuillard is a writer our friend Cleantess keeps praising and recommending. A couple of weeks ago I found his novel Tristesse de la Terre at a local library but didn't buy it because it was somewhat expensive. I guess I'll have to go back and get it nevertheless.
A novel by Alice Zeniter was recently published by Acantilado, but I'm not sure it's that one.

Stevie B

Current Member

Vuillard is a writer our friend Cleantess keeps praising and recommending. A couple of weeks ago I found his novel Tristesse de la Terre at a local library but didn't buy it because it was somewhat expensive. I guess I'll have to go back and get it nevertheless.

Coincidentally, the English translation of this book is being released today in the U.S. It's entitled Sorrow of the Earth. At first I thought it was non-fiction, but then I read that it was a "historical re-imagining" of Buffalo Bill Cody and his Wild West shows which exploited and mistreated many American Indian participants. Sounds interesting, but depressing at the same time. I think I'd be more interested in this book if it were a work of non-fiction, though I'm guessing that Vuillard did lots of research on the subject matter prior to writing the book.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe

I'm currently reading Yannick Haenel - Tiens ferme ta couronne and it's two tons of literary fun so far.

It's not that bad IMO. It was a bit OTT - I felt as if the author was constantly shouting in my face "LOOK AT HOW SORDID AND REPULSIVE THIS ALL IS", but you can't deny her talent to write gross-out physical descriptions. Slimani could become a good genre (horror or polar) writer, if she chose to go that way. Which she no longer needs to, I suppose.

I knew nothing about the shortlisted books; gathered what I could from synopsis etc. at online bookstores and from this thread.

"Tiens ferme ta couronne" might get translated and published here soon even if it doesn't win the prize. Whichever one of these four that actually ends up winning the prize will almost certainly be published in PT (the 2011 winner was the only one that wasn't in the past 10+ years), though it usually takes a while - about a year. "Chanson Douce" was much quicker - out in April 2017.

2018 Goncourt Prize winner:

Leurs Enfants Après Eux by Nicolas Mathieu

https://next.liberation.fr/livres/2018/11/07/le-prix-goncourt-decerne-a-nicolas-mathieu_1690601

Nearly every year I read the synopsis of the four novels of the final list, and every once in a while there's one whose subject matter seems exceptionally interesting to me (even though that rarely leads me to actually read them if they don't win in the end): Jean-Baptiste Del Amo's Une Education libertine in 2008, Hédi Kaddour's Les Prépondérants in 2015, Tiens Ferme ta Couronne that was mentioned upthread in 2017... But this year all the finalists seemed interesting for one reason or another.

Also related to the Goncourt Prize: has Philippe Claudel, who would be a strong contender for the prize, forfeited any chance of winning it when he became a member of the Academy in 2012? Several others joined only after winning the prize. The bylaws of the Goncourt Society have nothing about this.