Prix Goncourt

Leseratte

alik-vit

Reader
In hindsight, I think you're right. I'll replace "shocking" with "disappointing," for the sake of accuracy.
Yep, it was my point. Fortunately, we see changes. The literary prize is a subsystem of general metasystem of culture and it is isomorphic to this metasystem.

Verkhovensky

I usually like Prix Goncourt's opinion.

When looking at the list I see I have read seven winners, abandoned one and I have three on my shelves waiting to be read.

Besides the famous winners, The Map and the Territory, The Lover and Modiano's Rue des boutiques obscures that you have probably already heard are good, I want to also vouch for Gilles Leroy's Alabama Song, a tremendous short novel about Zelda Fitzgerald. Leila Slimani's Chancon douce was also good, and 2001 winner Brazil Red I remember liking when I read 15+ years ago, but I don't recall any details.
The only winner that dissapointed me was Romain Gary's second win The Life Before Us (the one published under the pseudonym). I maybe don't "get" Gary/Ajar, as I tried another book of his (Pseudo) and couldn't move past first twenty pages. Similar to another "cult" French writer, Boris Vian, whom I also never "got" although I tried multiple books.

I abandoned Fields of Glory - was just super boring. On the other hand, if I recall correctly our friend Benny really liked it.

Also interesting fact- Modiano is the only Nobel laureate to win Goncourt!
Rolland, France, du Gard, Mauriac, Gide, Camus, Sartre, Simon and now Ernaux - none of them have ever won!

Liam

Administrator
It's shocking that only about 10% of winners have been women.
Why is it shocking? France only gave suffrage to women in 1944, to date none of the French presidents has been a woman (though I think they've had a couple of female PMs), perhaps the Goncourt Prize merely reflects a deep seated prejudice against women in French society? ?‍♂️

alik-vit

Reader

When looking at the list I see I have read seven winners, abandoned one and I have three on my shelves waiting to be read.

Besides the famous winners, The Map and the Territory, The Lover and Modiano's Rue des boutiques obscures that you have probably already heard are good, I want to also vouch for Gilles Leroy's Alabama Song, a tremendous short novel about Zelda Fitzgerald. Leila Slimani's Chancon douce was also good, and 2001 winner Brazil Red I remember liking when I read 15+ years ago, but I don't recall any details.
The only winner that dissapointed me was Romain Gary's second win The Life Before Us (the one published under the pseudonym). I maybe don't "get" Gary/Ajar, as I tried another book of his (Pseudo) and couldn't move past first twenty pages. Similar to another "cult" French writer, Boris Vian, whom I also never "got" although I tried multiple books.

I abandoned Fields of Glory - was just super boring. On the other hand, if I recall correctly our friend Benny really liked it.

Rolland, France, du Gard, Mauriac, Gide, Camus, Sartre, Simon and now Ernaux - none of them have ever won!
I think, I have read 16 novels from the list and my favorite is still "The Lover" by Duras. But right now I'm intrigued by "Ingrid Caven". Will look at Russian translation.

Leseratte

I think, I have read 16 novels from the list and my favorite is still "The Lover" by Duras. But right now I'm intrigued by "Ingrid Caven". Will look at Russian translation.
Read and enjoyed "The Lover" by Duras. Modiano and Énard (Le banquet...) are still on my reading list.

alik-vit

Reader
Read and enjoyed "The Lover" by Duras. Modiano and Énard (Le banquet...) are still on my reading list.
Modiano is one of my (very few) life-long favorites. I was 18 years old, when I've read his "Rue des boutiques obscures" and I love it even now. On the other hand, Enard's Goncourt novel "Boussole" was a long, overburdened with "additional cultural information" piece. Not bad, but not great.

Leseratte

Modiano is one of my (very few) life-long favorites. I was 18 years old, when I've read his "Rue des boutiques obscures" and I love it even now. On the other hand, Enard's Goncourt novel "Boussole" was a long, overburdened with "additional cultural information" piece. Not bad, but not great.
Thanks for the information @alik-vit . From Énard I´m very curious about Le Banquet annuel de la Confrérie des fossoyeurs, But I´ve to wait for a better time (or a translation) as my French is very bad.

I've read 23 Goncourt winners, but only 6 of those are from before 1995.

I feel like I tend to overstate the Goncourt's tendency to award tightly written but somewhat lightweight novellas (like the works of Roze, Echenoz or Vuillard). Of those Goncourt winners I've read I wouldn't rate a single one as downright bad apart from Le Soleil des Scorta, which piles up clichés to the extent of being unintentionally funny (I've read another book by Gaudé and TBH he seems none too bright). As IIRC I've said before in this thread, the Goncourt going pop isn't necessarily a bad thing (Lemaitre and Le Tellier are very fun reads), but Gaudé - yuck.

nagisa

Spiky member
The Goncourt is also very much a horse-trading thing where publishing houses, not authors, are rewarded. It's only in 2008 that jurors were forbidden to have a concomitant salaried position in a publishing house... While it remains prestigious to the wider public (and, especially, lucrative for the publishing house!), French readers know not to expect much. An article here; a couple of quotes:

Bory (1945 laureate, for his first book!):
"Le Goncourt, c'est automatique, vous attire le grand public. Il vous aliène, c'est aussi automatique, les “connaisseurs”, aux yeux de qui le Goncourt est une maladie assez honteuse, un peu dégoûtante, qui se tient entre le lupus et la blennorragie. (…) Résultat : le grand public lit votre livre pour l'unique raison qu'il a eu le Goncourt, mais ne lit pas vos livres suivants, pour la bonne raison qu'ils ne l'auront pas. (…) Les connaisseurs ne liront pas votre livre parce qu'il a eu le Goncourt, et ne liront pas les suivants parce que le premier a eu le Goncourt."
"The Goncourt, automatically, gets you the wider public. It alienates, also automatically, the "connaisseurs", in whose eyes the Goncourt is a rather shameful illness, a bit disgusting, between lupus and gonnorhea. Result: the wider public reads your book for the sole reason that it got the Goncourt, but won't read your following ones, for the good reason that they won't. Connaisseurs won't read your book because it got the Goncourt, and won't read your following ones because the first got the Goncourt."

Audouard, french humorist (who did not get it): "Il n'empêche que le Goncourt est une connerie persévérante et diabolique. Qu'il fausse totalement la vie littéraire de ce pays. Qu'il abîme ceux qui l'obtiennent, aigrit ceux qui le ratent, encombre la presse des humeurs de M. Armand Salacrou et n'a d'autre intérêt que de faire croire à M. Armand Lanoux qu'il a de l'importance. Dans ce cas on peut véritablement parler de connerie institutionnelle. Il n'améliore ni ne détériore ceux qui en font partie. Ils ne sont pas cons à titre privé. Mais ils sont devenus les agents actifs d'une dangereuse connerie collective. Et le pire, c'est qu'ils le savent."
"Nevertheless, it must be said that the Goncourt is a fucking stupidity, enduring and diabolical. That it distorts this country's literary life completely. That it damages those who get it, embitters those who don't, litters the media with the tantrums of jurors and has no other point than to make laureates-turned-jurors believe that they're important. In this case we can truly speak of institutional stupidity. It neithers betters nor worsens those who are part of it. They are not privately stupid. But they have become the active agents of a dangerous collective stupidity. And the worst thing is that they know it."

Gracq wrote his pamphlet Literature on the Stomach in 1950, castigating the whole literary prize rigmarole; the Goncourt wanted to give him the prize in 1951 for the Rivage des Syrtes (still one of the most magnificent French-language novels I've read), which he promptly (and coherently) refused.

The masculinity of the jurors, short-listed and laureates has also been repeatedly and acidly pointed out by various feminist groups.

TL;DR: the Goncourt is more of an incestuous industry than a genuine literary prize. I still flip through them if I have the chance, on n'est jamais à l'abri d'un heureux accident....