Recently Begun Books

tiganeasca

Shelley Ruth Butler, "Contested Representations: Revisiting "Into the Heart of Africa"" - analytical deconstruction of one of the most infamous exhibitions (maybe - the most infamous one) from last fifty years. I'm half in and it's very good.
I'll confess I don't know the author or the book, but after doing a little online investigating, I will be very curious to know what you think. The topic is of great interest to me more generally so I'm always happy to hear of new work(s).

alik-vit

Reader
I'll confess I don't know the author or the book, but after doing a little online investigating, I will be very curious to know what you think. The topic is of great interest to me more generally so I'm always happy to hear of new work(s).
It's short book, so I just completed it and highly recommend as a good example of research, which is deep, but not overburdened with cryptic terminology.
It's research of exhibition as event, not exhibition as spatial text or museological artifact. This approach makes the book more accessible and interesting for broader public, but a little bit less important for me. Anyway, it's very accurate and comprehensive case of anthropology of one event with its internal (museological) and external (social controversy) dimensions.
It's worth noting, on archive.org you can borrow for free the catalogue of this exhibition. And it's useful preliminary material to red (to look). And what is important too, I did read second edition of the book, expanded with foreword of A. Shelton (who is big name in critical museology too) and afterword of author, devoted to afterlife of this controversy around the exhibition.
If this topic (museum as medium and issues of representation through this medium) is interesting for somebody else, I really highly and highly recommend to read something about my personal favorite and, maybe, one of the most famous exhibitions during last 50 years - exhibition/installation of Fred Wilson "Mining the Museum" in Maryland Historical Society in 1992-93.

Daniel del Real

Tanizaki Jun'ichirō, A Fool's Love, AKA Naomi

Probably the weakest novel I've read by Tanizaki. First 150 pages deal with a very detailed description of the western trends and fashion in the 1920's in Japan. A lot of empty dialogues to exemplify how youth was attracted to it (Tanizaki himself was during this period) make the novel tiresome at some points. After this, when we see the real extent of the betrayal it gets less boring, so I hope at least it has a strong finale.

Stevie B

Current Member

Probably the weakest novel I've read by Tanizaki. First 150 pages deal with a very detailed description of the western trends and fashion in the 1920's in Japan. A lot of empty dialogues to exemplify how youth was attracted to it (Tanizaki himself was during this period) make the novel tiresome at some points. After this, when we see the real extent of the betrayal it gets less boring, so I hope at least it has a strong finale.
Although I found the character of Naomi annoying at times, I recall still enjoying the book, overall. I read the novel as a young college student, years before I taught in Japan, so I'm not sure if I'd still have a favorable opinion if I were to reread it. Certainly, it is a minor work in Tanizaki's oeuvre.

Daniel del Real

Although I found the character of Naomi annoying at times
Only at times? She's is exasperating, more and more as the book advances! I gotta admit the novel improves a lot in its second half and Tanizaki creates a very good depiction of this modan garu (modern girl) figure.

kpjayan

Reader

I started reading Tanizaki with Quicksand and Naomi , both were so poor that it made me wonder what is the hype around this writer. But "The Makioka Sisters", changed all that.

Daniel del Real

I started reading Tanizaki with Quicksand and Naomi , both were so poor that it made me wonder what is the hype around this writer. But "The Makioka Sisters", changed all that.
Haven't read Sasameyuki yet as there is no direct translation to Spanish and I'm too lazy to read really long novels in English.
Quicksand is a good, not great novel, with a very interesting focus on the psychology of the characters and their romantic affairs. There are four characters, two men, two women, very different from each other. I really love how Tanizaki always delves into the abysses of the human soul, many times represented or highlighted by fetishes or unusual behaviors at the time (lesbianism, effeminate men in this case).
The Kanji for this novel (Manji) is almost identical to a swastika 卍, something which is untranslatable and that the publisher I'm sure don't want to highlight. Of course there's nothing related to Nazism, meaning courses going in different directions.

tiganeasca

How'd you choose this one?
Never underestimate the power of idle curiosity. In fact, I have long read David Malouf almost exclusively among Australian writers (I am not a fan--yet, I suppose--of Mr. Murnane). I recall seeing somewhere that Stow is well-regarded and this is among his better books. And then, of course, I happened to find it in a used bookstore. The rest, as they say, is history.

What's intriguing to me is that, as opposed to (say) Malouf, his writing is more..."Australian"--by which I mean he seems to use syntax and even vocabulary that is distinctly different from American usage. I am more familiar, I guess, with British English than I am with Australian English and so I often find myself having to pause briefly and parse out just what he might mean. For whatever reason, it's an issue I have only rarely encountered with Malouf. Still, it's been an interesting read so far, though I'm only a couple chapters in.

Phil D

Never underestimate the power of idle curiosity. In fact, I have long read David Malouf almost exclusively among Australian writers (I am not a fan--yet, I suppose--of Mr. Murnane). I recall seeing somewhere that Stow is well-regarded and this is among his better books. And then, of course, I happened to find it in a used bookstore. The rest, as they say, is history.

What's intriguing to me is that, as opposed to (say) Malouf, his writing is more..."Australian"--by which I mean he seems to use syntax and even vocabulary that is distinctly different from American usage. I am more familiar, I guess, with British English than I am with Australian English and so I often find myself having to pause briefly and parse out just what he might mean. For whatever reason, it's an issue I have only rarely encountered with Malouf. Still, it's been an interesting read so far, though I'm only a couple chapters in.
Interesting! I'll be keen to hear more when you finish.

It's one of the many books I still have stacked on my dining table. I'm tempted to take a peak between the covers and see for myself.

Daniel del Real

Abe Kōbō, The Face of Another

Read it a few years ago and now I'm re-reading it for a course on Japanese Post-war masks. Same thoughts however, Abe is a one hit wonder with Women in the dunes, the rest is just awful.

Kawabata Yasunari, First Snow on Fuji

I hadn't dug too much in Kawabata's brief narrative. Did it late last year with Palm-on-the-hand-stories and now with this volume, which is superior by far.

Ben Jackson

Read it a few years ago and now I'm re-reading it for a course on Japanese Post-war masks. Same thoughts however, Abe is a one hit wonder with Women in the dunes, the rest is just awful.

Kawabata Yasunari, First Snow on Fuji

I hadn't dug too much in Kawabata's brief narrative. Did it late last year with Palm-on-the-hand-stories and now with this volume, which is superior by far.

I heard First Snow on Fuji was the first translated volume of stories into English for Kawabata before Palm on the Hand. Is it true, Dan?

kpjayan

Reader

I haven't read this book. But I thought The Box Man was also good, in a non-conventional way. Woman in the Dunes, is definitely far superior.

Stevie B

Current Member

I was also not a fan of The Face of Another. It's not a long book, but it took me a while to finish it because I was always reluctant to pick it up again. I liked The Ark Sakura more, but it still doesn't compare to The Woman in the Dunes, a novel I appreciated more the second time around. By the way, the film is available on archive.org. I'm looking forward to watching it soon.