Recently finished books?

Ben Jackson

The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems by Tomas Tranströmer, translated by Robin Fulton

Tomas Tranströmer is a very singular poet. He seems to be uniquely unbound by space and time, his poems seem to be about any place and about any time in human history, and his imagery is so unique that I struggle to categorize him as someone belonging to a specific genre, era, or nation. His poems seem to invoke emotions that I can't name, although they might have bizarre long words in German. There are even times when I fail to grasp the imagery or what it is trying to invoke, but the dreamlike nature of the poems helps one shun the desire to fully understand and to sit with the complicated feelings. For a lover of literature this unique enigmatic journey is something to be craved because usually the magic wears off with repetition, so it's truly a privilege to come across someone so unique.

(I know I probably sound very vague and incoherent but these are my thoughts and genuine reaction.)

I have read a lot of giants in 20th Century European Poetry, Transtromer is easily in my top ten for me. As Adonis, his friend said, Transtromer is many in one and one in many. Almost all his poems are five stars for me whether his poems on music like Schubertiana or his haiku poems like Great Enigma. He's a definition of classic.

Johnny

The Peninsula, Julian Gracq
I know very little about Gracq but I found this book very impressive. A man waits for his girlfriend / mistress at a station, she telegrams to say she’ll be late and he spends the day driving around rural Brittany revisiting his old childhood holiday spots. That’s it as far as plot goes. As far as language goes it is outstanding, magnificent descriptive prose and I found myself underlining a few sentences almost every page. A great find and highly recommended. The little I’ve researched on Gracq is seems he was an admirer of the Surrealists ( Breton in particular) but to me he writes more like Stendhal. A former WW2 POW he seemed to deliberately keep a very low profile. A short book but a great one. I don’t remember seeing him discussed here but I’m sure there are some who know him much better than me and I’d be very interested in their views.

tiganeasca

I know very little about Gracq but I found this book very impressive. A man waits for his girlfriend / mistress at a station, she telegrams to say she’ll be late and he spends the day driving around rural Brittany revisiting his old childhood holiday spots. That’s it as far as plot goes. As far as language goes it is outstanding, magnificent descriptive prose and I found myself underlining a few sentences almost every page. A great find and highly recommended. The little I’ve researched on Gracq is seems he was an admirer of the Surrealists ( Breton in particular) but to me he writes more like Stendhal. A former WW2 POW he seemed to deliberately keep a very low profile. A short book but a great one. I don’t remember seeing him discussed here but I’m sure there are some who know him much better than me and I’d be very interested in their views.
Thanks for this review. I've read Balcony in the Forest and tried mightily with The Opposing Shore. I enjoyed the former and am impressed with the latter but, as my review of a partial read noted, it's a very, very dense work and takes enormous patience and lots of time. Glad to hear your report on this; it's been sitting idle, waiting for me to get to it. (If you do a search on Gracq, you'll see that he has been discussed in a number of threads, in some cases in a fair amount of detail.)

Johnny

Thank you for your response and I will indeed read those reviews. I found it very interesting your reference to patience and a demanding read. The Peninsula in the edition I have is small, pocket sized and just over 100 pages. I thought I would read it in a few sittings but it took we well over a week, the language is very concentrated and dense, no dialogue or paragraph breaks or chapters. It’s a great reading experience but it demands a lot of the reader. It’s intense, a bit like reading Proust, it slows you down, sets off associations in your mind and is not to be rushed.

Btw the reason I read Gracq is I am working my way through Compass by Mathias Enard, I love his mixture of scholarly erudition and wonderful humour. He tossed in a sentence casually about a PhD student he was courting when he was younger where her work was commented upon as being like Kafka and Gracq. Such are the interconnections in literature!

Verkhovensky

Btw the reason I read Gracq is I am working my way through Compass by Mathias Enard, I love his mixture of scholarly erudition and wonderful humour.
I have this book for ages now but haven't started it yet. I've read his short novel about Michelangelo and enjoyed it.

kpjayan

Reader
?? / ?? Emil Cioran - Short History of Decay : Pretty bleak and cynical but brilliant writings. Surprised with the relevancy of them after all these decades. Witty, erudite , intense and dark.

?? Alfred Jarry - Ubu Roi : Satiric classic, of late 19th century. Most of the time I wonder what is all this about, but also make won think if there is a hidden brilliance in this. Silly , absurd and ridiculous or masterly crafted allegory. Not so sure.

?? K Abhay ( Ed ) - The Book of Bihari Literature : Bihar, the state of India, bordering Bengal in the east and Nepal on the north and the other Hindi mainland states on south and West, like most of the Indian states has a mix of multiple oral and written languages. Abhay, a poet and scholar himself, compiles some of the best writings from the state spanning 3000 years. Writings from Pali ( the language Buddha has done his sermons), prakrit, sanskrit, hindi, bhojpuri, mythili, magahi, angika, bajjika, urdu, persian and English ( the first English Book in India is written by a Bihari writer) are covered in this. From ancient classics ( Vatyayana of Kamasutra etc) to middle ages ( persian, sanskrit) , modern day writings with some beautiful stories and poems. Quite a good collection.

?? Mariana Marin - Paper Children : Collection of her poetry, in translation. Again very bleak and depressive poems , Elegies and other poems of oppression. What is impressive is her courage and the way she was able to circumvent the censorship and controls. That adds to the complexities to the writings, I think. A subtle anger and rebelliousness is evident.

?? Salim Barakat - Come, Take a Gentle Stab : Selections of poems and excerpts from this Kurdish-Syrian writer. Prose poems, of political, social, of sorrows and anger , some of them are difficult to get into, because of the context they are set in. Aggressive is the word comes to my mind. The poem titles Syria, is really exemplary.

?? Marie Ndiaye - Ladivine : 3 generations of women ( or 4 if you include the 8 year old daughter) of a family, fighting their internal demons , managing and succumbing to their internal trauma of relationships, and existence. Suburban middle class life of survival, realities of present day life, fragile and dull relationships (between mothers and daughters, wives and partners ) in constant struggle to remain in relevance. The second part also gets into a nightmarish , unrealistic terrain, but her writing retains the warmth and connect with the characters and their ordeal. She writes well, but the theme and it's mundane repetition drag you down as a reader, however you are appreciative of the talent there in.

alik-vit

Reader
?? / ?? Emil Cioran - Short History of Decay : Pretty bleak and cynical but brilliant writings. Surprised with the relevancy of them after all these decades. Witty, erudite , intense and dark.

?? Alfred Jarry - Ubu Roi : Satiric classic, of late 19th century. Most of the time I wonder what is all this about, but also make won think if there is a hidden brilliance in this. Silly , absurd and ridiculous or masterly crafted allegory. Not so sure.

?? K Abhay ( Ed ) - The Book of Bihari Literature : Bihar, the state of India, bordering Bengal in the east and Nepal on the north and the other Hindi mainland states on south and West, like most of the Indian states has a mix of multiple oral and written languages. Abhay, a poet and scholar himself, compiles some of the best writings from the state spanning 3000 years. Writings from Pali ( the language Buddha has done his sermons), prakrit, sanskrit, hindi, bhojpuri, mythili, magahi, angika, bajjika, urdu, persian and English ( the first English Book in India is written by a Bihari writer) are covered in this. From ancient classics ( Vatyayana of Kamasutra etc) to middle ages ( persian, sanskrit) , modern day writings with some beautiful stories and poems. Quite a good collection.

?? Mariana Marin - Paper Children : Collection of her poetry, in translation. Again very bleak and depressive poems , Elegies and other poems of oppression. What is impressive is her courage and the way she was able to circumvent the censorship and controls. That adds to the complexities to the writings, I think. A subtle anger and rebelliousness is evident.

?? Salim Barakat - Come, Take a Gentle Stab : Selections of poems and excerpts from this Kurdish-Syrian writer. Prose poems, of political, social, of sorrows and anger , some of them are difficult to get into, because of the context they are set in. Aggressive is the word comes to my mind. The poem titles Syria, is really exemplary.

?? Marie Ndiaye - Ladivine : 3 generations of women ( or 4 if you include the 8 year old daughter) of a family, fighting their internal demons , managing and succumbing to their internal trauma of relationships, and existence. Suburban middle class life of survival, realities of present day life, fragile and dull relationships (between mothers and daughters, wives and partners ) in constant struggle to remain in relevance. The second part also gets into a nightmarish , unrealistic terrain, but her writing retains the warmth and connect with the characters and their ordeal. She writes well, but the theme and it's mundane repetition drag you down as a reader, however you are appreciative of the talent there in.
It's reassuring to read positive review on Cioran's works. He is very interesting and (for me) somehow 'comforting' author. Thanks for Barakat and Ndiaye too. Both are on my shelf, hope to read them this year.

dc007777

City of Night- John Rechy

Feels like a mix of Jean Genet (who I'm sure Rechy read) and William Vollmann (who I wouldn't be surprised to learn was influenced by Rechy). An unnamed narrator recounts his time hustling around the US. The majority of the characters are hustlers, closeted gay men, drag queens (who'd probably identify as transwomen nowadays) and addicts. The narrator struggles to make sense of his life, his work, the country, the people and God. Poetic in a way that isn't annoying and it avoids being sentimental or overly graphic. Rechy also useses each city the narrative takes place in to great effect, esp the final section which is set in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. There are some stunning images from this book I can imagine recalling years from now. One thing that really stood out was how an everyday event (the narrator's dog dying when he was a kid and the dog's burial) can completely impact a person's worldview. A wonderful, moving book.

I was happy to learn Rechy is still alive at 92. I imagine he's lived an interesting life.

nagisa

Spiky member
I remember picking over books in the big fleamarket north of Paris a decade and a half ago (!!), and being told by the bookseller, with that characteristic French/Parisian superciliousness, that Gracq's Le Rivage des Syrtes (translated in English as The Opposing Shore for some reason) was "one of the most sublime works of 20th c. French literature", and Gracq himself "the last 19th c. writer". His books are published by a small publishing house that until recently sold their books with uncut pages. Naturally, I could not resist.

His reputation is deserved, but I don't know how well he translates (not too well, I seem to recall from previous discussions here). But I agree with Tiga: he is hard to approach. Dense and rich, spell-binding.

I'm glad that the Peninsula is translated, if slightly sad at it being sold alone. In the French edition La Presqu'île is composed of three short pieces: La route, the eponymous novella, and Le Roi Cophetua. La route is a mid-50's reworked piece of an unfinished novel started and abandoned after Le rivage des Syrtes, and the other two pieces are late 60s; the volume was published in 1970. While there was apparently no actual intention behind its composition, as mid-to later works, they sort of crystallise three big "strands" of Gracq that surface at different periods. Le Roi Cophetua caps in a way the quasi-fantastical, almost gothic strand he inherits from Breton's surrealism and deploys in early works. La route is a kind of dead end to the "fiction" strand of the early-middle works (plots & characters). And La presqu'île anticipates the flowering of the later "geographical" strand (shades of Sebald, motion through places giving rise to kaleidoscopes of allusions and a sinking through the quicksand of history).

I've not approached Gracq's later work much yet, last reading his Lettrines which are sorts of personal literary meditations; the first volume was published before La Presqu'île and the second one after. Flipping through the late work Autour des sept collines, Around the Seven Hills, which is about Rome, I guffaw; far from a lover of Italy myself, I translate:

"Why did I not like this country that so many sing the praises of, where the density of works of art is without common measure to any other country in the world? whereas fifteen years later the Västerbotten, where I spent three days, remains so near to my heart, and any lost county of the Highlands or Connemara, if I were to visit them, I would only be able to leave them, I am certain, with regret in my heart. I breathe badly in Italy (except in Venice, where everything comes from sea, and flows or returns there), locked in walled cities, municipal burrows where everything proliferates in its spot, piles up and overlaps, vegetates and drags itself over its own digested debris. The thrust of growth here is entirely vertical, but their skyscrapers are underground, where each century shoves them further down into the shifting soil, and only builds on the deep ruin to keep a narrow zone of contact with the light, like a coral reef. Everything is made to shield you from the wind from the open sea and a feeling of limitlessness: a civilisation was born here for which open space is worthless: nothing more than some leftover stuff allowing architectural volumes to play off each other."

Ben' detto, Jules, well said.

I enjoyed reading Gracq very much in the past — a kind of passéist avant-garde, a 19th c. writer mistakenly born in the 20th, aloof and allusively hyperliterary. But definitely not everyone's cup of tea — nor am I even sure he still is mine, since I failed at starting Un balcon en forêt a couple of years ago... though now I am getting curious about Autour des sept collines due to translating the preceding paragraph. I think patience is rewarded with him — up to a point as always: life is too short to waste on feted authors one simply does not vibe with.

Last edited:

Johnny

Merci beaucoup Nagisa for taking the time to write such a wonderful commentary on Gracq. Ah if only I could read him in French!

tiganeasca

?? Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, Stories ⭐⭐⭐+
Though his name may be unfamiliar, this Bengali writer (died 1950) wrote the book that inspired one of the great classics of world cinema: Pather Panchali. (He also wrote Aranyak, which several others here have read and enjoyed.) He is one of my favorite authors and I have read many of his novels and many of his stories; this is yet another story collection. This selection of eight (out of several hundred) stories is generally well-translated and is a good introduction to the writer. The brilliance of his stories lies at once in his focus on people discovering their destinies amid their own complicated circumstances as well as for the feeling of intimacy he evokes even his manner of telling the stories is familiar, comfortable, and perhaps even a little rambling. Bandyopadhyay has a gift for expressing the landscape as well as an empathy for his characters even as he wrote about both rural and urban subjects. His narrative is notable for its ability to express the views of different characters honestly and sympathetically, and there is a pervading gentle-ness about his language. There is, too, among them, a persistence, a recalcitrance — a stubborn humanity — that makes them all recognizable. They are not all likeable, they are not all good people, but they are all deeply human in a way that seems all too rare in literature.

?? John Munonye, The Only Son ⭐⭐⭐
Munonye wrote seven novels of which this is the first, published in 1966. He is one of the great Nigerian novelists and is particularly celebrated for his ability to convey the energy of Nigerian life in the 1950s and 1960s. In the course of reading about Munonye online, I found this article discussing his entire body of work and observing that “While for Achebe the Igbo encounter with Europe led to the death of several protagonists, and to the death of the Igbo way of life, for Munonye the coming of Europeans with their new administrations, religion, and schools offer his protagonists new challenges, opens new vistas, and provides better alternatives that lead to progress….” This book tells the story of a single mother raising a son; a mother who has poured her entire life and energies into that son, denying herself most things (including remarriage) only to have him turn away from traditional Igbo life and embrace Christianity. (It is worthwhile to note that Munonye was born into a family that had already converted to Christianity.) The book is the first volume in a trilogy and although the second and third volumes deal with the son’s marriage and eventual return to his home village as a success, the novel should stand on its own and I was disappointed in that regard. It ends with the mother happily (apparently) remarried and pregnant with another child; the son has left the village, rejecting his mother, his village, and tradition, wholeheartedly adopting Western religion and a “modern” way of life. The ending to The Only Son is so unresolved for both characters that it is difficult to glean any message or meaning from everything that has happened. Munonye’s approval of Christianity and at least some of Western culture is implicit, as is Munonye’s optimism, but he communicates this approval only minimally and indirectly and gives no hint of what is to come.

?? Jalâl âl-e Ahmad, The School Principal [unrated]
Jalâl âl-e Ahmad was a famous Iranian intellectual and writer (1923-1969). (You can find an entry on him at Wikipedia, but there are far better biographies here or here.) Virtually none of his works have been translated into English—shame on us—but since I read another of his novels a decade or more ago, he and it have stayed in my mind. So I decided to tackle this short book, really a novella at 100 pages; it is widely acknowledged to be his best work. Very sadly, the translation—though it often reads easily (and, also, too often, clumsily)—is a travesty. It is embarrassing that this ever saw the light of day and even worse that no other translation into English exists. I found it odd that I could find nothing about the translator online. I was so completely baffled at why The School Principal is considered a world-class book that I spent a long time online reading about the author and, in some cases, this version. It’s hard to find out much about the work since the author is all-but-unknown in the West and the book itself is extremely difficult to find. And although it took a lot of digging, I did eventually find a very helpful review of the book and this translation in a highly specialized academic journal by a professor in the field of Iranian literature. I excerpt from his review:

“Al-e Ahmad's works are esteemed as much for their sharply critical portraits of contemporary Iranian society as for the nervous, idiomatic quality of his prose. The School Principal is a generally successful wedding of both these attributes.”​
“Despite the many passages which [the translator] has translated both accurately and well, the work as a whole is so marred by errors and inaccuracies of every sort that it only dimly reflects the quality of the original.”​
“It is not the extreme wrongness of any individual error that makes the translation so objectionable…. Rather, it is the cumulative effect of renderings that are wrong or only infelicitous added to English that is too often clumsy or even ungrammatical, compounded by a rich variety of typographical and editorial mistakes which makes it so unsatisfactory."​

The story is a first-person narrative by a teacher-turned-school principal in 1950s Iran. The principal quickly finds that, contrary to his expectations, his new responsibilities are disagreeable and frustrating. His teachers are self-involved, spending far more time on their own problems than teaching. The national ministry of education is a nightmare of bureaucracy, and the parents of the school’s students show up only when they have a complaint. Although the narrator may be capable and considerate, he is clearly also self-absorbed and very unhappy. The book is a critique of the social, economic, and intellectual circumstances Iran found itself in during the 1950s. But the translation makes it difficult to discern much more than that. (To be scrupulously even-handed, I will say that you will find a different take on the work at “The Complete Review.” Though I generally find him a reliable reviewer, I honestly believe that he missed the boat on this one, unless he read a different and far better translation. Should I have succeeded in piquing your interest in Jalâl âl-e Ahmad, look instead for his other work—far better translated—called By the Pen. It’s also scarce, but I found a number of copies by searching online.)

?? Lil Bahadur Chettri, Mountains Painted With Turmeric ⭐⭐⭐
This 122-page novel is set in eastern Nepal. Though it has a rather basic plot centered on a young farmer’s efforts to provide for his wife and infant son and to help his younger sister get married, this book is ultimately not about the story line. For those familiar with Giovanni Verga, it resembles that author’s gut-wrenching House by the Medlar Tree, another tale of poverty and bad luck. But even its Chettri rejected the simple view, writing that the book “might not entertain its readers, because that is not its aim. In it I have simply tried to give a picture of the villages in the hills of Nepal. Life in the hills -- the joys and sorrows of the villages and the events that happen there -- is the essence of [the book]. From a literary point of view, the standard of this novel is not high, because I have based it on reality.” Indeed, the author is at pains to be even-handed. The protagonist makes some unwise decisions, he has a run of bad luck, and—certainly—there are those willing to take advantage of him. But the book is not about the exploitation of the peasants by the wealthier land owners—a topic understandably common in many national literatures. Eventually, and perhaps unsurprisingly, the family loses everything and the book ends as the family leaves their former home and village, headed they know not where to do what they can. Indeed, the ending is left open. The strength of the book is in its portrayal of what the author says he aimed to do: offer the reader a detailed picture of rural life in Nepal. You learn how the village functions, how people of different classes (and sexes) deal with one another, how life proceeds. The writing is straightforward and unadorned. But I think that, perhaps unlike other works struggling to make a “statement,” this one succeeds in part because of its approach, its simplicity, and its fairness to all. Recommended.

Last edited:

Hamishe22

?? Jalâl âl-e Ahmad, The School Principal [unrated]​
Jalâl âl-e Ahmad was a famous Iranian intellectual and writer (1923-1969). (You can find an entry on him at Wikipedia, but there are far better biographies here or here.) Virtually none of his works have been translated into English—shame on us—but since I read another of his novels a decade or more ago, he and it have stayed in my mind. So I decided to tackle this short book, really a novella at 100 pages; it is widely acknowledged to be his best work. Very sadly, the translation—though it often reads easily (and, also, too often, clumsily)—is a travesty. It is embarrassing that this ever saw the light of day and even worse that no other translation into English exists. I found it odd that I could find nothing about the translator online. I was so completely baffled at why The School Principal is considered a world-class book that I spent a long time online reading about the author and, in some cases, this version. It’s hard to find out much about the work since the author is all-but-unknown in the West and the book itself is extremely difficult to find. And although it took a lot of digging, I did eventually find a very helpful review of the book and this translation in a highly specialized academic journal by a professor in the field of Iranian literature. I excerpt from his review:

“Al-e Ahmad's works are esteemed as much for their sharply critical portraits of contemporary Iranian society as for the nervous, idiomatic quality of his prose. The School Principal is a generally successful wedding of both these attributes.”​
“Despite the many passages which [the translator] has translated both accurately and well, the work as a whole is so marred by errors and inaccuracies of every sort that it only dimly reflects the quality of the original.”​
“It is not the extreme wrongness of any individual error that makes the translation so objectionable…. Rather, it is the cumulative effect of renderings that are wrong or only infelicitous added to English that is too often clumsy or even ungrammatical, compounded by a rich variety of typographical and editorial mistakes which makes it so unsatisfactory."​

The story is a first-person narrative by a teacher-turned-school principal in 1950s Iran. The principal quickly finds that, contrary to his expectations, his new responsibilities are disagreeable and frustrating. His teachers are self-involved, spending far more time on their own problems than teaching. The national ministry of education is a nightmare of bureaucracy, and the parents of the school’s students show up only when they have a complaint. Although the narrator may be capable and considerate, he is clearly also self-absorbed and very unhappy. The book is a critique of the social, economic, and intellectual circumstances Iran found itself in during the 1950s. But the translation makes it difficult to discern much more than that. (To be scrupulously even-handed, I will say that you will find a different take on the work at “The Complete Review.” Though I generally find him a reliable reviewer, I honestly believe that he missed the boat on this one. Should I have succeeded in piquing your interest in Jalâl âl-e Ahmad, look instead for his other work—far better translated—called By the Pen. It’s also scarce, but I found a number of copies by searching online.)
A few thoughts.

Firstly, I am surprised and shocked to learn that The School Principal is supposed to be considered a world class book. Even in Iran, where people are prone to overrate our writers, it's fairly uncontroversial that he was a really bad writer of fiction. His importance in our history lies in his influence as one of the three most important intellectuals who basically shaped the ideology of the current regime (alongside Ali Shariati and Ahmad Fardid) and furthermore, the only secular one among them. (Also By the Pen is considered to be one of his worst books, a very surface level and unfair satire).

I honestly wouldn't recommend a translator to prioritize the works of Al Ahmad. There are so many great writers whose works are untranslated, and I don't think anyone other than historians of the Islamic Republic should read his works, and they should learn Persian anyway.

Secondly, I think this reviewer is probably the person who's responsible for the meme of Mahmoud Dowlatabadi being considered a great writer, so I personally don't consider him reliable, at least when it comes to Iranian literature.

Thirdly, while I don't consider her a great writer and only an OK one, Al Ahmad's wife, Simin Daneshvar, is a much better writer and her most important work is already translated into English so maybe seek her out instead.

tiganeasca

A few thoughts.

Firstly, I am surprised and shocked to learn that The School Principal is supposed to be considered a world class book. Even in Iran, where people are prone to overrate our writers, it's fairly uncontroversial that he was a really bad writer of fiction. His importance in our history lies in his influence as one of the three most important intellectuals who basically shaped the ideology of the current regime (alongside Ali Shariati and Ahmad Fardid) and furthermore, the only secular one among them. (Also By the Pen is considered to be one of his worst books, a very surface level and unfair satire).

I honestly wouldn't recommend a translator to prioritize the works of Al Ahmad. There are so many great writers whose works are untranslated, and I don't think anyone other than historians of the Islamic Republic should read his works, and they should learn Persian anyway.

Secondly, I think this reviewer is probably the person who's responsible for the meme of Mahmoud Dowlatabadi being considered a great writer, so I personally don't consider him reliable, at least when it comes to Iranian literature.

Thirdly, while I don't consider her a great writer and only an OK one, Al Ahmad's wife, Simin Daneshvar, is a much better writer and her most important work is already translated into English so maybe seek her out instead.
Thanks very much for your thoughts. Obviously, I'm out of my depth here, so instead relied on the materials I found online. There was, in fact, a general consensus that The School Principal is his best book and I found praise for both it and By the Pen (which I enjoyed). Having no background in the field, I will defer to your judgment--unless there is someone else out there who has some knowledge/expertise and would be willing to contribute.

I will admit I am puzzled by your comment about the reviewer being the one who is responsible for the notion that Dowlatabadi is a great writer. I haven't read that author, but I have no idea what the basis is for your criticism. The review I quoted was by a professor of Iranian language and literature at Princeton (Jerome Clinton) and he was among those I read who spoke very highly of this particular work. The introduction to the volume, which also rated the book well, was by a professor at the University of Texas (Michael Hillman). Both seemed to have substantial experience in Iran and knowledge of Iranian literature, so I relied on their opinions (among others).

Last edited:

Hamishe22

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Obviously, I'm out of my depth here, so instead relied on the materials I found online. There was, in fact, a general consensus that The School Principal is his best book and I found praise for both it and By the Pen (which I enjoyed). Having no background in the field, I will defer to your judgment--unless there is someone else out there who has some knowledge/expertise and would be willing to contribute.

P.S. For what it's worth, the review I quoted was by a professor of Iranian language and literature at Princeton and he was among those I read who spoke very highly of this particular work.
Oh it IS his best work (of fiction), I was just objecting the label "world class" for it really. It's just considered a hasty imitation of his favorite writer (Louis Ferdinand Celine) with a bad prose.

I have to say, in fairness, that it's possible people like me are biased against Al Ahmad! He's mostly known for the idea of "westoxification", a book of his that Ayatollah Khomeini really loved, and many people (like me) consider responsible for our woes today.

It's still the label used to censor dissident writers and intellectuals, including my late father. So yeah, maybe I'm biased. :)

tiganeasca

Oh it IS his best work (of fiction), I was just objecting the label "world class" for it really. It's just considered a hasty imitation of his favorite writer (Louis Ferdinand Celine) with a bad prose.

I have to say, in fairness, that it's possible people like me are biased against Al Ahmad! He's mostly known for the idea of "westoxification", a book of his that Ayatollah Khomeini really loved, and many people (like me) consider responsible for our woes today.
Thanks for the clarification. That was entirely my interpretation (based on what I read) and I am the one responsible for going overboard. ?

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
?? Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, Stories ⭐⭐⭐+
Though his name may be unfamiliar, this Bengali writer (died 1950) wrote the book that inspired one of the great classics of world cinema: Pather Panchali. (He also wrote Aranyak, which several others here have read and enjoyed.)

?? Lil Bahadur Chettri, Mountains Painted With Turmeric ⭐⭐⭐
This 122-page novel is set in eastern Nepal.. Recommended.
Aranyak, to me is his best book. One of the best Bengali writers of the last century.

I haven't read Chettri's book yet. Should get to this soon, especially after your recommendation.

Hamishe22

Two books by Saint-John Perse: Anabasis and Seamarks, French poet and diplomat who won the 1960 Nobel Prize in Literature.

I tried my best to enjoy the poetry of Saint-John Perse, and I completely acknowledge that the problem might lie with me or with the fact that I am reading him in translation. T. S. Eliot, who liked him enough to translate him, is one of my favorite poets, but I don't know if he would be if I had to read his poetry in translation. When it comes to Saint John-Perse, I incredibly struggled to understand what was going on, and I had to constantly look up words in dictionary or to look up references. I don't mind reading incredibly difficult works, I even enjoy them. For example when I read The Waste Land I usually allow myself to go with the emotions evoked by the atmospheric imagery of the poem and then return and derive the joy of rediscovery as I reread the poem with a guide. But when it came to Saint-John Perse's two works, I couldn't feel any emotion other than confusion at all. I just couldn't connect at all. I know that we're supposed to read Anabasis six times according to T. S. Eliot in order to start appreciating it, but in the middle of my second reading I felt too miserable and just gave up.

I understand that this is entirely subjective, so I didn't rate these books on Goodreads nor I will say things like "I think he didn't deserve the prize". It's completely possible that the failure is entirely mine that I couldn't penetrate and appreciate the artistry. But I gave it a very honest and hard try.

Ben Jackson

Two books by Saint-John Perse: Anabasis and Seamarks, French poet and diplomat who won the 1960 Nobel Prize in Literature.

I tried my best to enjoy the poetry of Saint-John Perse, and I completely acknowledge that the problem might lie with me or with the fact that I am reading him in translation. T. S. Eliot, who liked him enough to translate him, is one of my favorite poets, but I don't know if he would be if I had to read his poetry in translation. When it comes to Saint John-Perse, I incredibly struggled to understand what was going on, and I had to constantly look up words in dictionary or to look up references. I don't mind reading incredibly difficult works, I even enjoy them. For example when I read The Waste Land I usually allow myself to go with the emotions evoked by the atmospheric imagery of the poem and then return and derive the joy of rediscovery as I reread the poem with a guide. But when it came to Saint-John Perse's two works, I couldn't feel any emotion other than confusion at all. I just couldn't connect at all. I know that we're supposed to read Anabasis six times according to T. S. Eliot in order to start appreciating it, but in the middle of my second reading I felt too miserable and just gave up.

I understand that this is entirely subjective, so I didn't rate these books on Goodreads nor I will say things like "I think he didn't deserve the prize". It's completely possible that the failure is entirely mine that I couldn't penetrate and appreciate the artistry. But I gave it a very honest and hard try.

I don't really think it's the fault of translations. I think it has to do with Perse's style. I actually read Collected Poems of Perse last year, and while his style of prose poems is very unique, at times it becomes boring due to its density and lexicon.

Personally if I should rank Perse works based on how I enjoyed them, it will be Seamarks, which described rivers as cradle of civilisation (sometimes describes the waters with feminine features), Winds, Poems from Childhood, Exile and Snow in that order. Anabasis is very boring and remains my least favourite of Perse. He was awarded the Nobel prize due to his pioneering achievements in prose poetry (which was deserving because the Nobel criteria was recognition for pioneers then) after been advocated for the Prize by Dag Hammarskjold, former UN Secretary General and latter Nobel Peace Laureate.

alik-vit

Reader
Duong Thu Huong, "At the ways of childhood" (in Rus.)

It was published here in the late Soviet years as YA fiction, and in some way it's YA fiction - not very long story of protagonist's coming of age. There are some really topical issues (for instance, harassment in the school), some very vivid descriptions of rural life in Vietnam. She is good in her plot and characters (maybe, a little bit schematic, but live), but final "deus ex machina" is very typical for socialist realism of that age. On the whole, I liked it and will read more of her books. Here she is good, but not great.

Mark Z. Danielewski, "House of leaves" (in Rus.)

I'm totally agree with @Liam from past (brilliant and innovative) and totally agree with @Liam from present (it's gimmicky and pretentious). But I think, in literature this equation is correct: brilliant and innovative = (gimmicky and pretentious)× reader's mood. And vice versa. It's really very innovative in its spatial layout, and very good in its distributed narrative and very convincing in its multiply interpretation. It's amazing, how he plays his tune on the border between pure entertainment and pure conceptualism. It was big book, but captured read.

Anne Carson, "H of H Playbook"

Sorry, it's wasting of your money and time (more money). It's just abridged, vulgarized in language and interpretation version of "Herakles" by Euripides. With set of conceptual drawings a la Cy Twombly. Sometimes her rhymings are funny, but no more. I was absolutely without any clues: why she did what she did?

Philippe Jaccottet, "The bowl of pilgrim" (in Rus.)
His short booklet (essay with illustrations) about Giorgio Morandi. I don't like this kind of art critique or (perhaps) art reflections. He writes nothing interesting about paintings, but he writes nothing interesting (for me) about other topics too. Still, I'm very impressed by his seriousness in the respect of writing as gesture and process. It's not self-indulgent, but very responsible approach to language and act of creativity.

Phil D

?? Conceição Evaristo - Ponciá Vicêncio (+)

Novella about a young black woman who moves from the countryside to a city, becoming separated from her family and the life she knows in the process. I thought the woman's descent into depression and detachment as a consequence of her new life was well rendered, and her extended periods of distraction and remembering loved ones were a good narrative device. The simplicity of the rendering of her brother, and the miraculous repentance of her violent husband, were disappointing. Happy to have read it but didn't think it was anything special.

?? Alice Munro - Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage (++)

?? Alice Munro - The Moons of Jupiter (++)

?? Alice Munro - The Love of a Good Woman (++)

Things I love about Alice Munro:
  • her management of time in each story
  • the complexity and credibility of her characters' motivations for behaving the way they do (and the way she withholds moral judgement and simply let's them live)
  • her clear-eyed but never cynical perspective on love
  • her eye for detail and characterisation
I think her very best stories are the ones where not much happens, and indeed sometimes I get a bit annoyed at the actual events of some of her plots because they feel melodramatic. My favourite stories as I write this are 'The Children Stay', 'Family Furnishings', and 'Prue', but that may well change in the next few hours.

One extra note: her story titles are almost always terrible. I know titles are hard and these stories especially resist titling, but surely she and her editors could have done better than this.