Recently finished books?

hayden

If I may cherry pick two titles from that impressive list, I've long been a fan of Heinesen's, although I haven't yet read Tower at the Edge of the World. I have never read anything by Pahor, though I am interested in and have read more than my share of works by Slovenian authors. I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you have to say about that work. (Also interested to see that I am not the only one who is less-than-impressed by Ben Okri.) Thanks.

Definitely—
Pahor's Necropolis had been on my radar for a while but I'd never been able to find a copy of it (not in Italian) until after his recent death (at which, he was believed to actually be the oldest living Holocaust survivor). I'd always assumed it was a work in the same realm as Wiesel, Applefeld, maybe even Kertesz, but the book only came into international light/recognition somewhat recently (last 15 years or so, despite being initially published in '67)— it's a harrowing memoir on the Holocaust, narrated in the autobiographical form of flashbacks in concentration camps (and yes, he survived multiple camps). It delves into an area of WWII I wasn't super familiar with (Italy/Libya, prosecution of the Slovenian community, those regions— I've never read Previ's If This Is A Man, but it's on my to-get-to list), and I figured the viewpoint would be unique compared to what I've already read.

It's told from perspective of a survivor (who, is Pahor) visiting the camps some twenty-odd years later, surrounded by tourists, recollecting the horrors of being there. He's haunted by his time there... (he was a medic in the camps, witnessed death firsthand daily), sees 'ghosts' everywhere, recounts burning bodies, piling up, the smells, the sounds... a lot of the imagery in the novel reminded me of the 2015 film Son of Saul, which I imagine found some influence in Pahor's recounted stories. Obviously it's a very painful work, and must have been devastating to write, but it's so important that these sort of raw testimonies explaining what reality was like on the inside exist. It's a very textural work despite the dreamlike-flashback approach— he recalls sounds, smells, psyches, the hopelessness, the images ingrained in his head forever, just how unfathomable it all was while it was happening— and, in recollection, an acknowledgement to scoping the insanity. And, as much as it's important historically, it also happens to be very well-written.

The imagery of ashes comes up quite a lot. I think it's what he remembers the most.

On a lighter note, Tower at the Edge of the World might just be my favourite Heinesen work. It's his final novel (published in the 70s), and is written from the perspective of an old man (presumably a paper-thin-veil of Heinesen) reminiscing of his youth in the Faroes. Despite that description, I found the novel unexpectedly modern. Could've been released today. The composition is in poetic vignettes, and the prose itself is beautiful (and exceptionally Scandinavian)— it even has surprisingly humorous moments, included some excellent animal names. Very few of the 'chapters' are longer than a handful of paragraphs— most are essentially paintings of nostalgia-lensed days, long gone, reminiscing whatever's left of them (in a very different way than Necropolis I might add). It's very musical, rhythmic, freeflowing— I'd be interested in learning how long it took to write, it comes across as a composer jotting down a song. It's slices of childhood, everyday life, and the landscape paintings surrounding those memories. I can say whatever praise, but nothing will do the novel any more justice than stating it's beautiful. The prose floats like butterflies.

On the flipside of all that—
Okri's recent poetry collection was maybe only a sliver away from landing in that 'bad' category. I don't think he's a poet at heart. It was like eating dry scones.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Definitely—
Pahor's Necropolis had been on my radar for a while but I'd never been able to find a copy of it (not in Italian) until after his recent death (at which, he was believed to actually be the oldest living Holocaust survivor). I'd always assumed it was a work in the same realm as Wiesel, Applefeld, maybe even Kertesz, but the book only came into international light/recognition somewhat recently (last 15 years or so, despite being initially published in '67)— it's a harrowing memoir on the Holocaust, narrated in the autobiographical form of flashbacks in concentration camps (and yes, he survived multiple camps). It delves into an area of WWII I wasn't super familiar with (Italy/Libya, prosecution of the Slovenian community, those regions— I've never read Previ's If This Is A Man, but it's on my to-get-to list), and I figured the viewpoint would be unique compared to what I've already read.

It's told from perspective of a survivor (who, is Pahor) visiting the camps some twenty-odd years later, surrounded by tourists, recollecting the horrors of being there. He's haunted by his time there... (he was a medic in the camps, witnessed death firsthand daily), sees 'ghosts' everywhere, recounts burning bodies, piling up, the smells, the sounds... a lot of the imagery in the novel reminded me of the 2015 film Son of Saul, which I imagine found some influence in Pahor's recounted stories. Obviously it's a very painful work, and must have been devastating to write, but it's so important that these sort of raw testimonies explaining what reality was like on the inside exist. It's a very textural work despite the dreamlike-flashback approach— he recalls sounds, smells, psyches, the hopelessness, the images ingrained in his head forever, just how unfathomable it all was while it was happening— and, in recollection, an acknowledgement to scoping the insanity. And, as much as it's important historically, it also happens to be very well-written.

The imagery of ashes comes up quite a lot. I think it's what he remembers the most.

On a lighter note, Tower at the Edge of the World might just be my favourite Heinesen work. It's his final novel (published in the 70s), and is written from the perspective of an old man (presumably a paper-thin-veil of Heinesen) reminiscing of his youth in the Faroes. Despite that description, I found the novel unexpectedly modern. Could've been released today. The composition is in poetic vignettes, and the prose itself is beautiful (and exceptionally Scandinavian)— it even has surprisingly humorous moments, included some excellent animal names. Very few of the 'chapters' are longer than a handful of paragraphs— most are essentially paintings of nostalgia-lensed days, long gone, reminiscing whatever's left of them (in a very different way than Necropolis I might add). It's very musical, rhythmic, freeflowing— I'd be interested in learning how long it took to write, it comes across as a composer jotting down a song. It's slices of childhood, everyday life, and the landscape paintings surrounding those memories. I can say whatever praise, but nothing will do the novel any more justice than stating it's beautiful. The prose floats like butterflies.

On the flipside of all that—
Okri's recent poetry collection was maybe only a sliver away from landing in that 'bad' category. I don't think he's a poet at heart. It was like eating dry scones.
Thanks for these detailed thoughts. The Pahor sounds harrowing and the Heinesen like classic Heinesen. And both definitely sound worth the time.

Z--

Top Recommendations—

?? Osamu Dazai - The Flowers of Buffoonery
Very happy to see this praise. Dazai is an absolute favorite of mine based on Setting Sun and No Longer Human, and I was wondering how he'd read in an even shorter format. Have you read No Longer Human? Curious if Flowers cleanly ties into it.

hayden

and the Heinesen like classic Heinesen.

I know this is meant as a positive thing (nothing wrong with classic Heinesen), but I was kinda hoping to make the novel come across like it wasn't classic Heinesen. It's quite fresh and sleek compared to works like The Lost Musicians or The Magic Lantern, and certainly more accessible. I happened to have a lengthy-ish train ride earlier last month that I read about 80% of the novel on that trip— it certainly made the journey go by a little faster. Hope you give it a go. Like I said, I think it's my favourite work by him (and I'm quite fond of those other two aforementioned^). As long as you can find a copy, I think it might also be my go-to recommendation as an entry point for his work.

Very happy to see this praise. Dazai is an absolute favorite of mine based on Setting Sun and No Longer Human, and I was wondering how he'd read in an even shorter format. Have you read No Longer Human? Curious if Flowers cleanly ties into it.

And yeah, this one was a bit of a treat— I didn't even know it existed until earlier this year! There's a recent English translation that came out and when I saw the cover I had a weird dreamlike feeling because it felt like something I'd just imagined— (obviously it was something I immediately had to get around to, I basically started reading it the moment I saw a copy). I've read The Setting Sun and No Longer Human (as well as his novella School Girl)— it's a little thinner than No Longer Human, and written 13 years prior, but it's actually part of the same story. The novels have the same protagonist and are companion pieces.

It's alluringly modern— black comedy elements, foggy narrative, sarcastic, youthful— much like my notes about Heinesen's novel, it could have been released today. I'm not sure how to write about it without spoiling it though... you kinda find out what's going on at the same time as the narrator. Beginning is fantastic, ending is a gutpunch, and the middle is riddled with beauty and humour. It goes from laughing to suffering really fast. Has a bump or two, sure, but it's a great read. Had Dazai been a filmmaker, it feels very much like what directors in their 20s and early 30s would want to put on a screen.

Of course, Dazai's tragic reality affects the reading experience as well. A lot.

Reactions: Z--

tiganeasca

I know this is meant as a positive thing (nothing wrong with classic Heinesen), but I was kinda hoping to make the novel come across like it wasn't classic Heinesen. It's quite fresh and sleek compared to works like The Lost Musicians or The Magic Lantern, and certainly more accessible. I happened to have a lengthy-ish train ride earlier last month that I read about 80% of the novel on that trip— it certainly made the journey go by a little faster. Hope you give it a go. Like I said, I think it's my favourite work by him (and I'm quite fond of those other two aforementioned^). As long as you can find a copy, I think it might also be my go-to recommendation as an entry point for his work.

I'm not entirely sure we are saying different things. Although this sounds different in the sense that you refer to "poetic vignettes," the subject matter and the nature and quality of his prose sound, at least as I read what you wrote, like classic Heinesen. Though I think that Laterna Magica is less accessible than some of his works, I am not sure I agree that Lost Musicians is. In any event, the humor seems to me something that runs throughout his work and I will definitely dig up a copy. I am looking forward to reading it.

hayden

I'm not entirely sure we are saying different things. Although this sounds different in the sense that you refer to "poetic vignettes," the subject matter and the nature and quality of his prose sound, at least as I read what you wrote, like classic Heinesen. Though I think that Laterna Magica is less accessible than some of his works, I am not sure I agree that Lost Musicians is. In any event, the humor seems to me something that runs throughout his work and I will definitely dig up a copy. I am looking forward to reading it.

All good :p— I know what you meant. Yeah, it's not like he's throwing a sci-fi epic at us. Just meant stylistically it's a change-up for him. Still plenty of cows, fruit, music and barns.

Leemo

Haven't posted in this thread in a while (maybe not at all this year?). Digging through my notes to see what's worth posting. I actually had some major re-reads recently. Went through the complete works of Philip Larkin, Paul Celan, Louise Glück, Seamus Heaney & a fair amount of William Carlos Williams, Wallace Stevens and Octavio Paz. Most of the time it was due to squeezing in a poem here'n'there whenever I had a chance, but I also sought a bit of comfort going through my favourites again. (Being said, I hadn't read Glück's compiled works since she won, and I have to say her earlier works are not as strong as I remembered...).

Another note I want to make before posting my recent reads is the sudden loss of British-Nigerian poet Gboyega Odubanjo, who was found deceased at 27 this week. While he may not be a super familiar name, I read his collection ' Aunty Uncle Poems' roughly this time last year, which was unquestionably full of promise. Saddened to hear about the loss... there's so few notable up-and-coming poets as is (who aren't... awful). In his memory, I'm hoping some members on here try to give either the aforementioned or his other collected 'While I Yet Live' a read. RIP.

While I appreciate everyone's in-depth insights into their recent finds, I'm going to say a quick apology. I am lazy. This post will be tiered, and that's about it. If anyone has any further questions, I'll be happy to answer though ?

My recent reads (non-poetry is bolded)—

Top Recommendations—
?? Yusef Komunyakaa - Pleasure Dome & Everyday Mojo Songs of Earth: New and Selected Poems, 2001-2021 (essentially his collected works in total— this took a while to get through, but wow was it worth it)
?? Osamu Dazai - The Flowers of Buffoonery
???????
Ivor Cutler - Glasgow Dreamer & Private Habits
?? Antonio di Benedetto - Zama
??
William Heinesen - The Tower at the Edge of the World
?? Wang Yin - A Summer Day In The Company of Ghosts
???? Kim Sowol - Azaleas
?? Emily Carr - Klee Wyck

Good/Very Good—
?? Ferit Edgü - The Wounded Age and Eastern Tales (well, this borders poetry I suppose)
??Duo Duo - Words As Grain
??
Shangyang Fang - Burying The Mountain
??
Nachoem M. Wijnberg - Nachoem M. Wijnberg (Poems)
??
Hồ Xuân Hương - Spring Essence
??
Caio Fernando Abreu - Moldy Strawberries
????
Boris Pahor - Necropolis
?? Hanne Ørstavik - Love
?????????
Benjamin Zephaniah - Too Black Too Strong
??
Evelyn Araluen - Dropbear (this is somewhere in-between tiers)

Good-ish/Middle of the road—
????????? Pascale Petit - Fauverie & Tiger Girl
????
Scholastique Mukasonga - Kibogo
????????? Mary Jean Chan - Fleche
????
Yesika Salgado - Corazon
??????? Gwyneth Lewis - Sparrow Tree
?? Rochelle Ward - Tangle
??
Chaesam Pak - Enough To Say It's Far
???? Charles Simic - No Land In Sight
?? Margaret Atwood - The Door
??
Juan Felipe Herrera - Every Day We Get More Illegal

Skip/Meh—
?? Cesar Aira - The Famous Magician
??
Evelio Rosero - Stranger To The Moon
??
Mutt-Lon - The Blunder
?????????
Imtiaz Dharker - I Speak for the Devil
??
Ben Okri - A Fire In My Head
?????????Miriam Gamble - Pirate Music

Bad—
???? Lang Leav - September Love

The worst thing I have ever read (and an actual waste of paper)—
?? Aubrey Graham (Drake) - Titles Ruin Everything: A Stream of Consciousness

———————
Which, is about 9 months worth I think.

Any of those top two tiers are my personal recs.
Hoping some members here make note of them—
Everything afterwards is take-it-or-leave it
(apart from those final two...)
Don't read those.
Curious to hear more about Emily Carr's book. She's certainly amongst the most famous painters of the country, but I haven't heard much of anything about her writing (probably because Canada rarely evers talks about anyone's writing).

Benny Profane

(probably because Canada rarely evers talks about anyone's writing).
Really? ?
I always thought you Canadians were open minds for Arts and Literature, but I notice that ignorance and nescience, in general, are a global phenomenon.
PS: I have some relatives in Canada. My uncle, my aunt and my two cousins. My uncle and my aunt are Brazilians, but their children are Canadians.

Leemo

Really? ?
I always thought you Canadians were open minds for Arts and Literature, but I notice that ignorance and nescience, in general, are a global phenomenon.
PS: I have some relatives in Canada. My uncle, my aunt and my two cousins. My uncle and my aunt are Brazilians, but their children are Canadians.
Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but books practically never come up in conversation. TV, Movies, and TikTok/Youtube are what people talk about.

Granted our publically-funded national broadcaster does have one short annual TV series about books, but it's often partially involved with 'popular' and Young Adult books.

If I were to guess the percentage of Canadians who know who Alice Munro is, I'd guess somewhere between 1-2%? As a point of comparison I'd assume the number of Portuguese people who know who Saramago is would be much much higher?

Benny Profane

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but books practically never come up in conversation. TV, Movies, and TikTok/Youtube are what people talk about.

Granted our publically-funded national broadcaster does have one short annual TV series about books, but it's often partially involved with 'popular' and Young Adult books.

If I were to guess the percentage of Canadians who know who Alice Munro is, I'd guess somewhere between 1-2%? As a point of comparison I'd assume the number of Portuguese people who know who Saramago is would be much much higher?
The dumbing down phenomenon is global!
It occurs the same modus operandi around the world: TikTok and its 8 seconds videos, fast-food TV Shows, junkie movies, influencers...

Leseratte

I don't know about Portugal. But today on runs only very seldomly into Brazilians who are at all interested in books.

hayden

Really? ?
I always thought you Canadians were open minds for Arts and Literature

lol

Outside of Montreal and Toronto it's mostly just Gretzky, Molson and a bucket of cheese curds.
(Ok— it's not that bad— but I don't think Canada's any more open minded to the arts than the USA)
Depends who you are, how you were raised, where you live, etc, etc— but it certainly isn't a lauded field.

Hence—
The worst thing I have ever read (and an actual waste of paper)—
?? Aubrey Graham (Drake) - Titles Ruin Everything: A Stream of Consciousness

Yeah— I mean... it was atrocious. It isn't even poetry. It's practically a collection of b-side tweets. And not good ones. I'm shocked Phaidon (!!) published it. I appreciated the minimalistic design (it's kinda neat in theory), but the substance is so poor that you have to disparage the amount of tree being used on what I can't imagine amasses to more than 1,500 words. It was very ugly.

If I were to guess the percentage of Canadians who know who Alice Munro is, I'd guess somewhere between 1-2%?
Yeah, something along that. Maybe a little bit more (she's in a lot of bookstores/airports, etc). I'd say it's less than 1% for Anne Carson or Dany Laferrière types. Atwood is very well known though— I'd vouch most Canadians have at least heard of her.

—which brings me to...
Curious to hear more about Emily Carr's book. She's certainly amongst the most famous painters of the country, but I haven't heard much of anything about her writing (probably because Canada rarely evers talks about anyone's writing).

I was in Niagara-on-the-Lake in May and stumbled upon a small bookshop I'd never been in before— browsed a bit, etc— only to stumble upon a handful of books with similar spines all saying 'Emily Carr'. My initial reaction was someone had written a recent multi-volume biography of her (which, would be kinda neat, so I picked one up)— only to find out Emily Carr herself wrote the biographies! Multiple! She wrong several autobiographies, short stories, travelogues and published journals. I hadn't a clue in the slightest (and I was a little disappointed in that, but at the same time... excited? suppose). Picked up Klee Wyck first— it's a collection/memoir of journaled short-stories of her time living among native communities around Vancouver. It's an excellent read, and a very easy recommendation. Hoping to read her 'The Book of Small' soon.

Like you said though, I'd never heard anything about Carr's written works. Zero. It was a bizarre feeling when I saw them. It was very much like when I learned Picasso had a poetry collection. Or finding out about Dylan's Tarantula. It's just stuff that's not talked about.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

?? Olga Tokarczuk, Flights ⭐⭐+
And, finally, 400+ pages later, I have finished reading Flights. It took longer than I expected or, honestly, would have liked. It is a collection of more than 100 items—some only a few lines long, others taking 30 or more pages—that have two general themes: travel and human anatomy. Tokarczuk is fascinated by every possible aspect of travel, from the mundane details of packing to “travel psychology” and philosophy to one’s fellow passengers, to the actual experience of flying and hotel rooms. She is likewise interested in human anatomy, particularly in what she (or more precisely, her translator) calls plastination, the process whereby a human body (or its parts) is transformed into plastic. Perhaps you have seen these famous exhibits: human bodies where the blood (and/or the organs) have been “replaced” by colored plastic. Tokarczuk is enthralled by the subject and returns to it frequently. Some entries seem to be no more than idle thoughts on a topic; others could well have been abandoned novels. Indeed, several longer entries—especially the one on a famous (real) 17th century Flemish anatomist—are fascinating. Then there is the lengthy story about a Polish family vacationing in Croatia; part one ends on page 51 and part two begins on page 330. Or the story about the afterlife of Chopin’s heart. Or the letters from the daughter of a black servant of Emperor Francis of the Holy Roman Empire begging for the return of her father for burial. The empreror, you see, has taken the body of this servant after his death in 1796, stripped it of its skin, stuffed it, and placed it on display. (This is a true story—although the letters are presumably, Tokarczuk’s invention.) Or the sections entitled “Sanitary Pads.” Or “Belly Dance.” “Airports.” “Cleopatra.” You get the idea. Whatever caught her fancy. Toward the very end is a story of a retired professor where Tokarczuk makes (somewhat clumsy) use of a metaphor to tie the theme of travel to the theme of her interest in anatomy and the body. All in all, I found the book extraordinarily uneven; sometimes fascinating, sometimes unbearably tedious. Though I have to imagine that I am wrong, at times (many more than one), the book seemed more like the convenient gathering of unrelated scraps that could otherwise be of minimal value, stitched together into one somewhat cohesive volume. Make no mistake: Tokarczuk can be a compelling writer. The problem for me in the book was the distinction between her ability to do so and the frequency with which she did so. Some entries are very nearly silly and some downright riveting. The book bounces from greatness to self-indulgence and back, over and over.

?? Alan Paton, Too Late the Phalarope ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I had read that, as popular as Cry, the Beloved Country is, this work (published in 1953) is generally considered his best. Having only read these two novels and a collection of Paton’s short stories, I don’t know if I have enough familiarity with his work to pass judgment but I will say that this is a very impressive work. Paton succeeds brilliantly in getting into people’s minds and it is hard to imagine that his ability to do so or his understanding of how people think could be improved upon. It is not a surprise that Paton was brought up in the Christadelphian Church, a sect that believes in the absolute primacy of the Bible, among other things. His very deep knowledge of the Bible comes through on every page. More than intellectual familiarity with what the lines in the Bible say, Paton demonstrates a profound understanding of the complexity of human beings, of good and evil, and of the nature of shame, honesty, and acceptance. Indeed, much of the book is a meditation on belief and how it does (versus how it “should”) govern our behavior. The novel is the story of an upright young (white) police officer who transgresses the color line in apartheid South Africa in the 1950s. The act is not only a serious legal problem but far more so a family problem as he is from an old Boer (Dutch) family with strict cultural and religious standards. What happens is almost impossible to see happening any other way and Paton’s telling of the story, both in how and what people do as well as how and what they think, is masterful. He is especially impressive at depicting the conscience at work. Though I understand the compelling nature of Cry, the Beloved Country, I cannot understand why this novel isn’t far better known.

??/?? E. Breton de Nijs, Faded Portraits ⭐⭐⭐+
A deeply felt fictionalized memoir of colonial family life in Indonesia when it was a Dutch colony. De Nijs (a nom de plume for Rob Nieuwenhuys, 1908-1999) was the son of a Dutch immigrant father and a half-Dutch/half-Indonesian mother. He grew up in Batavia (now Jakarta), passionately sympathetic to his “native” roots and to indigenous Javanese culture. Telling the story of his childhood and young adulthood through various family members, though focusing on his aunt, he simultaneously tells of Dutch, Indo (mixed), and Javanese characters, exposing the ingrained and appalling racism and caste/class beliefs pervading Dutch colonial society. The prose is wonderfully evocative, the story a sad and poignant tale, but De Nijs is so good that it is possible to understand—if not sympathize with—all sides in the complex equation. And though he’s telling a story of the first part of the 20th century, it depicts a lost world. The writing is excellent and the book well worth the investment of time if the subject matter is of interest…and perhaps even if it is not.

?? Damon Galgut, The Impostor ⭐⭐+
I’ve read four or five of his novels and although I haven’t been impressed by all of them, he is undeniably talented. Galgut is a master of dread and of creating an unsettling atmosphere; this novel is no exception but I found the book more like a slow-paced thriller than anything else. The story, ultimately, is a story about losing one’s moral center and attempting to regain it—the theme applies not only to the protagonist but to his relationships and even, on a far broader scale, to the recent history of South Africa itself. His writing, as always, is top-notch but the plot struck me as overly complex and unnecessary. Galgut has shown in previous works that he can do extraordinary things with the simplest of events; that he has so overloaded the framework here is both disappointing and, ultimately, unconvincing.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
?? Alan Paton, Too Late the Phalarope ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I had read that, as popular as Cry, the Beloved Country is, this work (published in 1953) is generally considered his best. Having only read these two novels and a collection of Paton’s short stories, I don’t know if I have enough familiarity with his work to pass judgment but I will say that this is a very impressive work. Paton succeeds brilliantly in getting into people’s minds and it is hard to imagine that his ability to do so or his understanding of how people think could be improved upon. It is not a surprise that Paton was brought up in the Christadelphian Church, a sect that believes in the absolute primacy of the Bible, among other things. His very deep knowledge of the Bible comes through on every page. More than intellectual familiarity with what the lines in the Bible say, Paton demonstrates a profound understanding of the complexity of human beings of good and evil, and of the nature of shame, honesty, and acceptance. Indeed, much of the book is a meditation on belief and how it does (versus how it “should”) govern our behavior. The novel is the story of an upright young (white) police officer who transgresses the color line in apartheid South Africa in the 1950s. The act is not only a serious legal problem but far more so a family problem as he is from an old Boer (Dutch) family with strict cultural and religious standards. What happens is almost impossible to see happening any other way and Paton’s telling of the story, both in how and what people do as well as how and what they think, is masterful. He is especially impressive at depicting the conscience at work. Though I understand the compelling nature of Cry, the Beloved Country, I cannot understand why this novel isn’t far better known.
I'm so glad you admire Too Late the Phalarope as much as I do. As I noted in a previous post, it was the gateway book that brought me, as a young man, to begin exploring books and authors from around the world. I also had a meh reaction to Cry, the Beloved Country, by the way.

I'm not sure if the title Too Late the Phalarope put people off or perhaps the subject matter was a bit taboo back in the day, but I've mentioned the novel countless times over the years and never found another soul who had ever read it. It would be an ideal book for New York Review Books to bring back into print to help it garner the additional attention it deserves. By the way, I recall thinking (in the middle1980s :(), that the novel would translate well to the big screen. Any thoughts on that?

Straw

??/?? David Young - Du Fu: A Life in Poetry
This book is a collection of translations of the poetry of Du Fu, a poet of the Tang dynasty and one of the greatest Chinese poets. It arranges 170 translations of Du Fu's poetry into 11 sections, each of which was an important period in his life. Every section begins with a brief paragraph explaining Du Fu's circumstances and influences during that period, accompanied by footnotes throughout the text that provide further context for each poem. This structure is particularly effective, as Du Fu frequently wrote about his circumstances and personal experiences, often in an almost autobiographical sense. As the book progresses, the reader gains increasing insight into Du Fu's life and thoughts; in this way, the book serves as both anthology and autobiography, fitting the title of "A Life in Poetry".

Beyond serving as an autobiography, the book is a kind of history as well; Du Fu has sometimes been referred to as the "Poet-Historian" as his poems often address and memorialize the events he lived through: the An Lushan Rebellion, famines, floods, and other unrest that devastated China in his time. Beyond his own experiences, he frequently explores the lives and suffering of the disenfranchised, from conscripted soldiers to starving peasants on the road. These poems, more than any history book, allow the reader to truly live through the thoughts and experiences of people in Du Fu's time.

In terms of his poetry itself, the following poem (lines slightly condensed to make it easier to read) showcases many of the themes and techniques commonly found in Du Fu's work, while also being a good example of the kind of autobiographical poem I previously mentioned:

A light wind stirs the fine beach grass
the tall mast stands over this lone night boat
the stars hang close above the level plain
the moon bobs along in the great river

Will poems like ever bring me fame?
age and sickness bar me from holding a high office
drifting, drifting here, what am I really like?
a lone sand gull, somewhere between earth and sky.

Overall, this book was an excellent introduction to a poet whose work I was unfamiliar with and also served as a compelling portrait of Du Fu and the times he lived in.

tiganeasca

I'm so glad you admire Too Late the Phalarope as much as I do. As I noted in a previous post, it was the gateway book that brought me, as a young man, to begin exploring books and authors from around the world. I also had a meh reaction to Cry, the Beloved Country, by the way.

I'm not sure if the title Too Late the Phalarope put people off or perhaps the subject matter was a bit taboo back in the day, but I've mentioned the novel countless times over the years and never found another soul who had ever read it. It would be an ideal book for New York Review Books to bring back into print to help it garner the additional attention it deserves. By the way, I recall thinking (in the middle1980s :(), that the novel would translate well to the big screen. Any thoughts on that?
Truth be told, I don't think it would make a good movie. So much of what impressed me was the interiority of the book, the look into people's minds and consciences and thought processes. That is pretty hard to make work in a movie. All the more reason for people to pick up the book and sit down and read.

alik-vit

Reader
Raul Zurita, "Anteparadise".

One more book, which I read and reread during last two months. It's the most monumental and ambitious of three his volumes, which I've read. Basically, it's the same aesthetic approach: monumental combination of few images, connected with geography of the country (beaches, cordilleras, meadows, deserts, plains) as way for reflection about history and human condition in this history. But there is some transcendental dimension in his writing too, in sum, he writes not only about specific history of specific country, but about human being per se and about their longing for something superior. He avoids realistic descriptions of atrocities of dictatorship, but in his circuitous way he makes very impressive cartography of its crimes. Ideal Nobel choice.

Leseratte

?? Olga Tokarczuk, Flights ⭐⭐+
And, finally, 400+ pages later, I have finished reading Flights. It took longer than I expected or, honestly, would have liked. It is a collection of more than 100 items—some only a few lines long, others taking 30 or more pages—that have two general themes: travel and human anatomy. Tokarczuk is fascinated by every possible aspect of travel, from the mundane details of packing to “travel psychology” and philosophy to one’s fellow passengers, to the actual experience of flying and hotel rooms. She is likewise interested in human anatomy, particularly in what she (or more precisely, her translator) call plastination, the process whereby a human body (or its parts) is transformed into plastic. Perhaps you have seen these famous exhibits: human bodies where the blood (and/or the organs) have been “replaced” by colored plastic. Tokarczuk is enthralled by the subject and returns to it frequently. Some entries seem to be no more than idle thoughts on a topic; others could well have been abandoned novels. Indeed, several longer entries—especially the one on a famous (real) 17th century Flemish anatomist—are fascinating. Then there is the lengthy story about a Polish family vacationing in Croatia; part one ends on page 51 and part two begins on page 330. Or the story about the afterlife of Chopin’s heart. Or the letters from the daughter of a black servant of Emperor Francis of the Holy Roman Empire begging for the return of her father for burial. The empreror, you see, has taken the body of this servant after his death in 1796, stripped it of its skin, stuffed it, and placed it on display. (This is a true story—although the letters are presumably, Tokarczuk’s invention.) Or the sections entitled “Sanitary Pads.” Or “Belly Dance.” “Airports.” “Cleopatra.” You get the idea. Whatever caught her fancy. Toward the very end is a story of a retired professor where Tokarczuk makes (somewhat clumsy) use of a metaphor to tie the theme of travel to the them of her interest in anatomy and the body. All in all, I found the book extraordinarily uneven; sometimes fascinating, sometimes unbearably tedious. Though I have to imagine that I am wrong, at times (many more than one), the book seemed more like the convenient gathering of unrelated scraps that could otherwise be of minimal value, stitched together into one somewhat cohesive volume. Make no mistake: Tokarczuk can be a compelling writer. The problem for me in the book was the distinction between her ability to do so and the frequency with which she did so. Some entries are very nearly silly and some downright riveting. The book bounces from greatness to self-indulgence and back, over and over.
Thanks for the detailed review on Flights, Tiga. Until now I've read just 25% of it. I read it as one reads chronicles with other texts in between. The one text that seems to demand a sequel is the one that continues on page 330. I think I´ll go there and finish it before I forget Part one. Nothing against the chronicles, I think they are OK and some of them are very original, but I prefer Olga Tokarczuk when she tells an actual story.