Recently finished books?

tiganeasca

??/?? Abdulrazak Gurnah, Admiring Silence ⭐⭐+
It’s not possible for any author’s works to appeal equally or even to be of precisely the same quality. And so I must confess my disappointment that this ranks as my least favorite of Gurnah’s novels (it’s my fifth book by him). The more so since I am astonished to discover that it is one of his most well-regarded books on both goodreads and Amazon (though, in fairness, all of his books fall within a particularly narrow range on both sites as well). The unnamed narrator, born and raised in Zanzibar, moves to England for university, marries, and stays on in England despite a marriage that shows every sign of failing and a career and life that seem equally unrewarding. About halfway through the book, he returns “home” to the family he has completely ignored for decades. I found the narrator not only unsympathetic but distinctly disagreeable, if not worse. He has not done well in life and he appears to be entirely responsible for his failure(s). Gurnah is very good at depicting the immigrant experience and at addressing post-colonial issues. Unfortunately, the narrator’s often understandable hatred of everything—including himself—is unrelenting and several hundred pages of little but loathing and disgust inevitably takes a toll. The narrator’s return to Zanzibar unsurprisingly changes nothing (though Gurnah devotes a substantial portion of the book to it) and, at the end of the book, when he finally goes back to his wife and daughter in England, what happens next can hardly be a surprise. I don’t question the accuracy of Gurnah’s portrayals or interpretations but accuracy—indeed, truth—doesn’t always make good reading. A great disappointment.

??/?? Anjana Appachana, Incantations ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Appachana was born and raised in India and came to the U.S. for postgraduate study; she has lived and taught in the U.S. ever since This collection of stories all take place in India in the 1980s and (with two exceptions) focus on women, each in very different circumstances, who are damaged or destroyed by the patriarchal system then so prevalent and powerful. Appachana has a great talent for creating exceptionally believable characters and placing them in impossible circumstances, each story highlighting a different way in which women were powerless and, worse, victimized by a system that could not be altered. Among the most powerful stories were "Bahu," the recounting of the life of a woman whose identity has been reduced to “daughter-in-law” as her in-laws and even her husband make painfully clear that she has no other purpose in life than to serve. The compelling title story tells about a woman raped by her brother-in-law on the eve of her wedding and then regularly after that. What makes the story so enormously powerful is that it is told through the eyes of her 12-year-old sister…and its effect on her. Finally, in “Her Mother,” a daughter goes abroad to study. Most of the story takes for form of her mother’s internal dialogue as she struggles to write her daughter, simultaneously setting out her hopes and dreams even as she gives largely unwanted advice. What makes the story so poignant is that the advice is not only well-intentioned but precisely right while the reader knows that it will fall on deaf ears. It is a heart-breaking tale because both the daughter’s and the mother’s views are set out sympathetically and with enormous understanding.

?? Randolph Stow, The Merry-Go-Round in the Sea ⭐⭐⭐⭐
An Australian writer who is new to me but both prolific and very highly regarded. The German word that would describe this book is probably bildungsroman: a coming-of-age story ostensibly about Rob (six when the book opens, fourteen when it ends) who idolizes his older cousin Rick. Rick is absent for much of the book because he is a Japanese POW in World War Two. The tale describes Rob’s day-to-day life in his small hometown and at family sheep stations in western Australia. Although I was never captivated by Stow’s writing (more than any other Australian writer I’ve read, he makes use of Australian idioms), he is nevertheless masterful at depicting the life of a maturing young boy and, even more, providing a sense of place. He has a gift for imagery and, indeed, the book is in some ways a love letter to place. In fact, it’s this very aspect of the book that I find puzzling because Stow left Australia in his early thirties and stayed away for the last 36 years of his life (he died in England in 2010 at the age of 74). Toward the end of the book, the focus largely shifts from Rob to his cousin Rick and Stow moves from nostalgia to poignancy. Much as I was impressed the first two-thirds of the book, I thought he hit his stride in this last portion. I never loved the work but still consider it a very impressive novel and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

?? Tanizaki Junichiro, Some Prefer Nettles ⭐⭐⭐
I continue to marvel at the range of Tanizaki’s work; some of it I have loved, some of it I thought just a little too strange. This falls pretty much in the middle for me. The title, in a roundabout way, is the translator’s paraphrase of the American saying “to each his own”; in other words, everyone is entitled to his own taste (or preference). The book, which is often said to be among Tanizaki’s best works, takes place in Japan in the late 1920s and focuses on the conflict between traditional and modern (or Westernized) culture in Japan. Tanizaki uses a variety of oppositions to illustrate this conflict, sometimes directly, sometimes obliquely. Ambiguity is omnipresent. Thus, he sets the customs and reputations of some cities against those of other cities, traditional (Japanese) arts against Western(ized) ones; customary modes of behavior and dress against modern ways; and so forth. The setting is a disintegrating marriage which the wife—with her husband’s knowledge and approval (an indication of his embrace of Western behavior, he believes)—has taken a lover and the husband has become increasingly attached to his father-in-law’s young mistress and even with his father-in-law’s devotion to traditional Japanese culture. Both husband and wife are too weak-willed, despite their unhappiness, to take any definite steps toward divorce, or even to tell their son anything. The subject and Tanizaki’s way of telling the story strikes me as exceptionally Japanese, much more so than other works of his that I have read. I can’t particularly say that I enjoyed it but I can readily understand why it is well-regarded.

Stevie B

Current Member
It’s not possible for any author’s works to appeal equally or even to be of precisely the same quality. And so I must confess my disappointment that this ranks as my least favorite of Gurnah’s novels (it’s my fifth book by him). The more so since I am astonished to discover that it is one of his most well-regarded books on both goodreads and Amazon (though, in fairness, all of his books fall within a particularly narrow range on both sites as well). The unnamed narrator, born and raised in Zanzibar, moves to England for university, marries, and stays on in England despite a marriage that shows every sign of failing and a career and life that seem equally unrewarding. About halfway through the book, he returns “home” to the family he has completely ignored for decades. I found the narrator not only unsympathetic but distinctly disagreeable, if not worse. He has not done well in life and he appears to be entirely responsible for his failure(s). Gurnah is very good at depicting the immigrant experience and at addressing post-colonial issues. Unfortunately, the narrator’s often understandable hatred of everything—including himself—is unrelenting and several hundred pages of little but loathing and disgust inevitably takes a toll. The narrator’s return to Zanzibar unsurprisingly changes nothing (though Gurnah devotes a substantial portion of the book to it) and, at the end of the book, when he finally goes back to his wife and daughter in England, what happens next can hardly be a surprise. I don’t question the accuracy of Gurnah’s portrayals or interpretations but accuracy—indeed, truth—doesn’t always make good reading. A great disappointment.

Appachana was born and raised in India and came to the U.S. for postgraduate study; she has lived and taught in the U.S. ever since This collection of stories all take place in India in the 1980s and (with two exceptions) focus on women, each in very different circumstances, who are damaged or destroyed by the patriarchal system then so prevalent and powerful. Appachana has a great talent for creating exceptionally believable characters and placing them in impossible circumstances, each story highlighting a different way in which women were powerless and, worse, victimized by a system that could not be altered. Among the most powerful stories were "Bahu," the recounting of the life of a woman whose identity has been reduced to “daughter-in-law” as her in-laws and even her husband make painfully clear that she has no other purpose in life than to serve. The compelling title story tells about a woman raped by her brother-in-law on the eve of her wedding and then regularly after that. What makes the story so enormously powerful is that it is told through the eyes of her 12-year-old sister…and its effect on her. Finally, in “Her Mother,” a daughter goes abroad to study. Most of the story takes for form of her mother’s internal dialogue as she struggles to write her daughter, simultaneously setting out her hopes and dreams even as she gives largely unwanted advice. What makes the story so poignant is that the advice is not only well-intentioned but precisely right while the reader knows that it will fall on deaf ears. It is a heart-breaking tale because both the daughter’s and the mother’s views are set out sympathetically and with enormous understanding.

An Australian writer who is new to me but both prolific and very highly regarded. The German word that would describe this book is probably bildungsroman: a coming-of-age story ostensibly about Rob (six when the book opens, fourteen when it ends) who idolizes his older cousin Rick. Rick is absent for much of the book because he is a Japanese POW in World War Two. The tale describes Rob’s day-to-day life in his small hometown and at family sheep stations in western Australia. Although I was never captivated by Stow’s writing (more than any other Australian writer I’ve read, he makes use of Australian idioms), he is nevertheless masterful at depicting the life of a maturing young boy and, even more, providing a sense of place. He has a gift for imagery and, indeed, the book is in some ways a love letter to place. In fact, it’s this very aspect of the book that I find puzzling because Stow left Australia in his early thirties and stayed away for the last 36 years of his life (he died in England in 2010 at the age of 74). Toward the end of the book, the focus largely shifts from Rob to his cousin Rick and Stow moves from nostalgia to poignancy. Much as I was impressed the first two-thirds of the book, I thought he hit his stride in this last portion. I never loved the work but still consider it a very impressive novel and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

?? Tanizaki Junichiro, Some Prefer Nettles ⭐⭐⭐
I continue to marvel at the range of Tanizaki’s work; some of it I have loved, some of it I thought just a little too strange. This falls pretty much in the middle for me. The title, in a roundabout way, is the translator’s paraphrase of the American saying “to each his own”; in other words, everyone is entitled to his own taste (or preference). The book, which is often said to be among Tanizaki’s best works, takes place in Japan in the late 1920s and focuses on the conflict between traditional and modern (or Westernized) culture in Japan. Tanizaki uses a variety of oppositions to illustrate this conflict, sometimes directly, sometimes obliquely. Ambiguity is omnipresent. Thus, he sets the customs and reputations of some cities against those of other cities, traditional (Japanese) arts against Western(ized) ones; customary modes of behavior and dress against modern ways; and so forth. The setting is a disintegrating marriage which the wife—with her husband’s knowledge and approval (an indication of his embrace of Western behavior, he believes)—has taken a lover and the husband has become increasingly attached to his father-in-law’s young mistress and even with his father-in-law’s devotion to traditional Japanese culture. Both husband and wife are too weak-willed, despite their unhappiness, to take any definite steps toward divorce, or even to tell their son anything. The subject and Tanizaki’s way of telling the story strikes me as exceptionally Japanese, much more so than other works of his that I have read. I can’t particularly say that I enjoyed it but I can readily understand why it is well-regarded.
Your description of the Stow novel sounds intriguing, but I'll first need to start with my unread copy of Tourmaline. I looked over the first chapter when I bought the book last year, and I recall a very poetic writing style, one that would reward a slower, more patient reading approach. Regarding Tanizaki, I've read a number of his books, but not Some Prefer Nettles. Your explanation of the book's setting as well as the meaning of the title also got me interested in giving that novel a go. Maybe it's just me, but some of his books (The Key, for example) gave me the impression that Tanizaki was likely an odd man (and by odd, I mean pervy).

redhead

Blahblahblah

i actually quite liked that one (you might say I’m an admirer of Admiring Silence). Personally, I really liked the vitriol the passive protagonist had for everything—I saw some shades of Thomas Bernhard there. I wasn’t a fan of the way he structured the book at some points—ex at the end he skipped over far too much too quickly for my liking)—but it wasn’t enough to spoil the book.

kpjayan

Reader
Appachana was born and raised in India and came to the U.S. for postgraduate study; she has lived and taught in the U.S. ever since This collection of stories all take place in India in the 1980s and (with two exceptions) focus on women, each in very different circumstances, who are damaged or destroyed by the patriarchal system then so prevalent and powerful. Appachana has a great talent for creating exceptionally believable characters and placing them in impossible

An Australian writer who is new to me but both prolific and very highly regarded. The German word that would describe this book is probably bildungsroman: a impressive novel and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
I haven't read anything by her. While the stories sound 'cliched' in the Indian context, I would like to read her to see how she has taken this up.

Thanks for the Stow recommendation as well.

Stevie B

Current Member
I read this one some time ago, quite sad, huh? Why bullying in Japan is so hardcore?
There's a well-known Japanese saying that translates as "the nail that sticks up gets pounded down." I think bullying relates, to some degree, to the value of social conformity that is omnipresent in Japan. School bullying is especially problematic because teachers often play a role in initiating it or, at the very least, ignoring it when they witness it.

tiganeasca

Although I finished this some time ago, I only just now realized that I neglected to review it.

?? Xiaolu Guo, Village of Stone ⭐⭐⭐⭐+
This short novel (about 180 pages) is blessed by wonderful writing, the more impressive considering the challenging subject matter. The story moves back and forth between Coral’s life with her boyfriend in Beijing now and her upbringing in the Village of Stone, a largely isolated, poverty-stricken fishing village on the South China Sea. Orphaned and raised by grandparents who did not speak to each other, Little Dog is not only scorned by the village but is raped, abused, and imprisoned by the village mute, then deals with an unwanted pregnancy followed by an abortion, and finds both herself and her grandmother ostracized within the village. Her resilience and fortitude in the face of her life are little short of extraordinary. I was very impressed with Xiaolu’s writing and dismayed to learn just how much of the story may be autobiographical. Notwithstanding a horrendous childhood, she not only survived but prospered. She moved from China to Britain at the age of 29 and published her first novel written in English a mere five years later. (She has written at least six other novels, a couple memoirs, essays, a short story collection and directed nearly a dozen films, picking up prizes in both mediums frequently along the way.) This particular book was shortlisted for both the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize (forerunner to the Booker) as well as the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and it’s easy to see why. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Hamishe22

The Poetry of Jaroslav Seifert by Jaroslav Seifert, translated by Edward Osers

I thought that Winston Churchill was the most puzzling Nobel laureate in Literature, but no, it's Jaroslav Seifert. I just don't see how can anyone read these poems and come to any conclusion other than that they're very bad. Between their extremely simplistic to non-existent imagery and figurative language, and very simple and cliche ideas, I feel like he was a pioneer of Instagram poetry. For example: "Remember wise philosophers/Life is but a moment/Yet whenever we waited for our girlfriends/it was an eternity". Come on, what isn this?

dc007777

I thought that Winston Churchill was the most puzzling Nobel laureate in Literature, but no, it's Jaroslav Seifert. I just don't see how can anyone read these poems and come to any conclusion other than that they're very bad. Between their extremely simplistic to non-existent imagery and figurative language, and very simple and cliche ideas, I feel like he was a pioneer of Instagram poetry. For example: "Remember wise philosophers/Life is but a moment/Yet whenever we waited for our girlfriends/it was an eternity". Come on, what isn this?
Well I guess he was influential then lol

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe

That's the problem with reading in translation poets whose main gift is to make their mother tongue sing: their poetry is what's lost in translation.
For example, a couple of Russian friends told me that Pushkin's poem below is one of the most beautiful poems in the world, the first line being particularly sublime:

a mostly literal translation:

I loved you: yet the love, maybe,
Has not extinguished in my heart;
But hence may not it trouble thee;
I do not want to make you sad.
I loved you hopelessly and mutely,
Now with shyness, now with jealousy vexed;
I loved you so sincerely, so fondly,
Likewise may someone love you next.

The original:
Я вас любил: любовь еще, быть может,
В душе моей угасла не совсем;
Но пусть она вас больше не тревожит;
Я не хочу печалить вас ничем.
Я вас любил безмолвно, безнадежно,
То робостью, то ревностью томим;
Я вас любил так искренно, так нежно,
Как дай вам бог любимой быть другим.

The Common Reader

That's the problem with reading in translation poets whose main gift is to make their mother tongue sing: their poetry is what's lost in translation.
For example, a couple of Russian friends told me that Pushkin's poem below is one of the most beautiful poems in the world, the first line being particularly sublime:

The original:
I loved you: and the feeling, why deceive you,
May not be quite extinct within me yet;

(Walter Arndt, trans.)
You make a very good point! I found a nice overview of different attempts to English this poem here: https://classical-russian-literature.blogspot.com/2022/01/translations-of-pushkins-i-loved-you.html None of them quite succeeds, but it is fun to see the options available...

Hamishe22

The original:
I'm very conscious of this. I didn't read much non-English and non-Persian poetry before embarking on a journey of reading every Nobel laureate precisely because of this reason.

However, the messages of Seifert's poetry is so off putting to me in how simplistic and Instagrami they are that I simply can't imagine that language would ever make up for it.

kpjayan

Reader
I haven't updated here for a while..

?? Peter Handke - The Great Fall : I said elsewhere, very cerebral. An actor, in a new country to receive an award from the President of the Republic, decided to take a walk from his stay to the city centre and 'meets' various 'people / role / characters' as he move through the trees towards the city where he 'encounters' the great fall, which could be he death, fall of civilization, or 'declaration of war by the president'. Very crafty and intelligent, but...

?? Alan Paton - Cry, the Beloved Country : Reading again after my college days, and it hasn't lost the impression I had at the previous reading. I remember, there was suggestions of other books of him. I should check them out.

?? H S Sivaprasad(ed/tr) - I Keep Vigil of Rudra : Selected translations of multiple 12th Century 'Vachana' poets. This selection, amicably translated, goes beyond the familiar names of 'Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi and Allama Prabhu'. There is also an insightful and profound essay on the Shaivaite 'vachana' poetry and its progression over the early part of 11th and 12th century.

?? Martin Wickramasinghe - Yuganthaya ( Uprooted 3) : Final book of the Trilogy, mostly in the modern times of Sri Lanka. The fourth generation of the family. Similar topics of family values, tradition versus modernity.

?? Prabda Yoon - Moving Parts : Short Story collection of this Thai writer. Glimpses to the modern Bangkok urban living. Multi talented writer ( filmmaker, screenplay writer, translator, novelist ) , keen sense of observation, but barring a couple of the stories of the eleven, the rest did not really make any lasting impression. May be some one ( like SpaceCadet ) can give us a better introduction to Thai Literature.

?? Thomas Bernhard - Prose : Collection of short stories, with a linking theme of crime. Early book, typical of his style, erudite prose, long sentences, narrative suspense. Every story has a 'start with a general description ( setting up the stage) , moving towards the central part of the action, and the twist/surprise at the last paragraph. Really loved the way he integrate the 'crime' element with out letting it take the center stage.

?? Jose Saramago - The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis : Unlike other books of him, this is a slow burner. Nothing happens, apart from his flings with a chamber maid and a co-inhabitant at the hotel and regular political and philosophical debates with the ghost of Fernando Pessoa , through out the book. But at the background, the tension around the changing political landscapes of Europe, Hitlers assend, the Mussolini's triumph at Ethiopia, the military coup under Franco in Spain and the upheaval of a rebellion against Salazar in Portugal etc plays significant role. Despite being 'vocal' about it, Richardo Reis as well as the reader goes throguh the same anxiety and uncertainity as the reading progresses.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
?? Prabda Yoon - Moving Parts : Short Story collection of this Thai writer. Glimpses to the modern Bangkok urban living. Multi talented writer ( filmmaker, screenplay writer, translator, novelist ) , keen sense of observation, but barring a couple of the stories of the eleven, the rest did not really make any lasting impression. May be some one ( like SpaceCadet ) can give us a better introduction to Thai Literature.
I have not read anything by Prabda Yoon. Other than writing fiction, he has been involved in various activities such as translation, writing scripts, graphic design, etc. Personnaly, I would not see him as a writer per se, and would keep that in mind when reading his work. He has worked with, and his style is said to have been influenced by fellow writer Win Lyovarin. According to his Thai Wiki Page, he has not published anything since around 2011, which correspond to a time when many writers and/or intellectuals have made themselves scarce due to 'political turmoil' that affected Thailand. You can further sample some of his work here and here.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
Here is my take on some recent readings :

Having started this year with French Canadian literature, I decided to keep going a bit that way, this time picking what I expected to be a sure bet. A master of words, of playwords, of figures of speech, and so forth, Réjean Ducharme is one of my favorite Québécois writers. Whereas some of his work has been translated into English and some into Spanish, Gros Mots, the novel I read, has not. It tells the story of Johnny, a thirty-something who’s life is somehow swimming into nothingness until one day, walking along a ditch, he finds a notebook. Back home, he turns to the first page, which is dated as ‘today’s date’, and soon discovers it is the diary of a man whose life shows some strange similarities with his own life. Globally, it is a cleverly done piece of writing where I, the reader, get to look into the main character’s life while he gets transformed into a reader who is reading about someone else’s life and thus reflects on his own life. A masterly device that Réjean Ducharme uses here to reflect on the relationship between the writer and his œuvre, and between the reader and the novel, and between the reader and the writer. With Ducharme’s constant wordplaying, I found it a bit challenging, but I enjoyed it greatly.

Michel Tremblay is a well known and well celebrated Québécois writer. Many of his works have been translated into English. So far, I have read a few of his plays but no fiction of his so this time I chose to read a short novel entitled Le peintre d’aquarelles. It comes in the form of a personal diary, and it is told by a 76 year old man who has long been suffering from epilepsy and cognitive disorders, and who, among others, does watercolor as a pastime. Creating an adorable character adorned with a voice that rings true, Michel Tremblay gives us a light and easy yet meaningful hindsight into the life and thoughts of such a person.

By Shakespeare, I read Antony and Cleopatra, (the 30th Shakespeare play I have read so far). It is a tragedy which achieve a fine balance between history, psychology and politics. With little historical background, I first feared it would be out of my reach, but once I had learned a bit about the main characters and the context, I was easely immersed in it. Furthermore, it raised much interest in me as I found myself spending a great deal of time reflecting on the story’s many aspects.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Thank you so much. I always feel that Seifert winning the Nobel Prize was like, and still sounds, a joke. Espmark said in one of his Nobel prize books that he won based on political reasons (makes me think he won over Kemal). Among the post-war Nobel winning poets, he seems the poorest in terms of quality. The best poems of Seifert was the poems he wrote in the 50s, during his modernist phase. The poems before or after is just below meh. So banal and lacking intensity and imagination.

Hamishe22

Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez

A humble and gentle masterpiece. A series of poetic vignettes that describe the author's relationship his donkey and the village he lives in. The book is filled with love for nature and the idyllic, pastoral life in the village, but without whitewashing and ignoring the cruel aspects and the everlasting presence of death. It is both mature and innocent, strongly evocative and completely unique. I am not ashamed to say that I was shedding tears at the airport as I read the final pages, for a donkey that was written with far more personality and realness than many characters in lesser works.