Spanish Literature

tiganeasca

I have been meaning to post this for ages. The New York Times Book Review has long run a feature where they interview authors (used to be authors of "serious" literature but I guess they ran out and now they include all kinds of folks, some of whom even write books on occasion) and ask them questions taken from a larger stock set of questions. The "interview" is apparently conducted via e-mail. Sometimes, depending on who they are interviewing, the answers can even be interesting.

A while back (in July, to be precise), they interviewed Javier Marias. I thought his responses generally interesting, but one particular question/answer I found intriguing and thought worth posting here. It clearly doesn't relate solely to "Spanish" literature but to "national" literatures generally. But since the question was posed in the context of "Spanish literature," I thought I'd post it here:

"What books would you recommend to somebody who wants to learn more about Spanish literature?
I do not much believe in national literatures. Important as it is, the language in which you write is secondary. There is no such thing as “Spanish literature.” In Spain there are great single authors, from Cervantes to Juan Benet, from Quevedo to García Lorca, from Jorge Manrique to Antonio Machado, from Lazarillo de Tormes to Valle-Inclán. But each is very different from the others. I myself feel much closer to many foreign authors than to many of my compatriots."

I find myself sympathetic to his point but in disagreement. National histories are so individual and unique, that it seems to me you can legitimately talk about a "Spanish" culture (and literature) or an "English" or "Russian" culture (and literature). In any event, for those interested in the entire (short) interview, you can find it here.

Daniel del Real

[FONT=&quot]I find myself sympathetic to his point but in disagreement. National histories are so individual and unique, that it seems to me you can legitimately talk about a "Spanish" culture (and literature) or an "English" or "Russian" culture (and literature). In any event, for those interested in the entire (short) interview, you can find it [/FONT]here[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Not in this case. Let's not forget that in Spain there are another languages spoken besides Spanish: Catalán, Gallego & Euskera. All of them were banned under Franco's regime and that is still an unhealed wound. With a situation like that it's hard to talk about a Spaniard culture.

tiganeasca

Actually, I would say that there is a Spanish culture; its existence does mean that there cannot ALSO be a distinct Catalan, Basque, Gallego, etc. culture. In some cases, the cultures exist alongside, in some cases, they may be subcultures, but they are all distinct.

JCamilo

Reader
Borges had a view that the national authors (such as Goethe, Cervantes, Shakespeare) are exactly the less representative of what was supposed to be the national culture and more universal (and funny, or not, this would work well with Borges if we pick him as the national author of Argentina) and that lead him to lament the historical option for Cervantes and this lead to a lot of attacks on him when he was younger (as if he was spitting on the dish he just ate). There is of course a spanish culture and it is hard to talk about it, but all depends how far back or closer you want to examine it. You may end with the conclusion there is not a single national literature or culture or that there is many which are rich with examples. Each to its own.

Daniel del Real

Actually, I would say that there is a Spanish culture; its existence does mean that there cannot ALSO be a distinct Catalan, Basque, Gallego, etc. culture. In some cases, the cultures exist alongside, in some cases, they may be subcultures, but they are all distinct.

In that case it's a latin culture, as all but Euskera are romance languages. Maybe what you're refering to is a "Castillian" culture, coming from the ancient Reino de Castilla y León.

Bartleby

What do you guys think of Juan Ramón Jiménez? I’m also interested in Aleixandre, but there’s already a thread for him with some good comments. Anyway, has anyone read the former?

Ludus

Reader
What do you guys think of Juan Ramón Jiménez? I’m also interested in Aleixandre, but there’s already a thread for him with some good comments. Anyway, has anyone read the former?

Juan Ramón Jiménez is one of my favorite poets ever. I started many many years ago with "Platero y yo", which is a collection of prose poems about a cute little donkey. Might sound like poetry for kids (because, to some extent, that's what it is), but the book is strikingly beautiful and sad. He wrote a lot of books of poetry, but I would reccomend you to find a general anthology of his works or pick up "Sonetos espirituales", which is great. I would say any book of his you pick up is going to be delightful. Here's one for ya:

… Y yo me iré. Y se quedarán los pájaros
cantando;
y se quedará mi huerto, con su verde árbol,
y con su pozo blanco.

Todas las tardes, el cielo será azul y plácido;
y tocarán, como esta tarde están tocando,
las campanas del campanario.

Se morirán aquellos que me amaron;
y el pueblo se hará nuevo cada año;
y en el rincón aquel de mi huerto florido y encalado,
mi espíritu errará nostáljico…

Y yo me iré; y estaré solo, sin hogar, sin árbol
verde, sin pozo blanco,
sin cielo azul y plácido…
Y se quedarán los pájaros cantando.

I started many many years ago with "Platero y yo", which is a collection of prose poems about a cute little donkey. Might sound like poetry for kids (because, to some extent, that's what it is), but the book is strikingly beautiful and sad.

Such a pretty book, really. The writing is so natural and smooth as silk, it's poignant yet never maudlin, and its appeal is universal. And that sense of place - it makes you wish you were there. It makes you wish you loved your hometown as much as Jiménez did.

ArcipresteXII

I would recommend to you a very important book from the Spanish literature. It is called Juan de Mairena, by Antonio Machado. It is all about dialogues between a teacher and his students. You will find out since philosophy debates to heartbreaking questions about why Spain is a divided country. When I finished I thought this was one of the best books to share a criticising point of view but to improve in a better person.
I guess you could like it.

Ben Jackson

Spanish writers I have read (mostly poets):

Garcia Lorca
Aleixandre
Cernuda
Antonio Machado
Juan Ramon Jimenez
Cela (Paschal Duarte, great work)
Marias (Tommorrow in The Battley fave of the three novels read, will still read more)
Vilas-Matas (Bartleby & Co, great work)
St John of the Cross

Have to read:

More of Cela (two or three novels)
Delibes
Antonio Munoz Molina
Jorge Semprun
Gerard Diego
Miguel Hernadez
Guilen
Carmen Laforet (Nada)
Cervantes