Stanlake Samkange: On Trial for My Country

I am far from an expert on African literature, but I have read a little and I pick up volumes of the old Heinemann African Writers series whenever I can, that was such a great effort in publishing.

Stanlake Samkange’s On Trial for My Country (1966) is an innovative Zimbabwean historical novel of culture clash and empire in which all the major players (including Cecil Rhodes and King Lobengula) are flawed and complicated (although not morally equivalent). I just loved this one.

48EA2851-3C9B-49D6-9FC2-C60D04BF97B9.jpeg

Yes, I do not think it is that well-known even among African lit aficionados. I think it was a random purchase on my part because it was in the Heinemann series.

tiganeasca

Yes, I do not think it is that well-known even among African lit aficionados. I think it was a random purchase on my part because it was in the Heinemann series.
It's a stellar series which, though mostly fiction, contains non-fiction, drama, poetry, and more. I probably have about 85 of the volumes and am always thrilled to be able to add to my collection. I have discovered some stellar books and authors through the series. It's such a shame and a pity that it petered out.

BTW, is that Chaka/Shaka on the cover?

Ben Jackson

Heinemann Series was a project that was initiated by Chinua Achebe in the mid 60s, the purpose was to publish novels by African writers. The Series published so many African classics (Abdulrazak Gurnah's first novel, Memory of Departure, was rejected by Heinemann as far back as 1977). So sad that it has gone down the drain.