The Nobel Prize in Literature Diplomas

tiganeasca

I never knew what the Nobel "diplomas" look like before (sorry for the size and quality). I also quote from the Prize's website:

"The Swedish Academy is responsible for the design of the Literature diploma and they have almost always used individual designs related to each laureate. The artists have tried to summarize something of the atmosphere and character of each author’s works. Sine the laureates are not announced until mid-October and the diplomas must be ready before 10 December, the diploma artist has only a few weeks to summarize the collected works or personal attributes of each author."

They also include this statement that is stunning in its...um...originality.
"In 1986, the first African to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature was Wole Soyinka of Nigeria. His diploma imparts a genuine feeling of throbbing rhythms, magic rites and the struggle for liberation."

1633699013320.jpeg

Leseratte

The Art Design on them is beautiful, but to me they look more like birthday or Christmas Cards than diplomas.

hayden

Not to hijack your post Tiganeasca, but here's a few more—

beckett-diploma.jpg

552ff89a4110d4138e6100ffb9b9334b.jpg

solzhenitsyn-diploma.jpg

transtromer_diploma.jpg

singer-diploma.jpg

brodsky-diploma.jpg

bellow-diploma.jpg

alexievitch-diploma.jpg

modiano-diploma.jpg

(added some more)
Looks like they stopped doing illustrations after Dylan.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I forget where exactly we discussed this, but there was a thread where members posted their favorite Nobel diplomas, I think Patrick White was one of the early favorites, :)

Stevie B

Current Member
Imagine Ishiguro getting his only to realize the SA thinks he's as exciting as a piece of toast.
Ishiguro was definitely short-changed. It's like the person responsible for arranging his diploma dropped the ball and they had to scramble to put together a generic one last minute.

Bartleby

I forget where exactly we discussed this, but there was a thread where members posted their favorite Nobel diplomas, I think Patrick White was one of the early favorites, :)
I search the keywords “diploma”, “nobel diploma”, and couldn’t find such thread, so I moved it here, so those wonderful pictures don’t get lost in the WLF Prize thread. I hope it’s ok, and it serves as a place for sharing your favourite illustrations :)

Last edited:

Papageno

This is so sad! Does anyone know why they have decided to switch to issuing those generic diplomas now instead of the gorgeously beautiful ones they did up until that fateful year 2016? The Modiano one is so gorgeous and such a wonderful illustration of his work. The other ones are also incredible and, what is most important, unique. I hope they plan to switch to the old way for Gurnah and the future laureates.

Here is the hauntingly beautiful Mo Yan diploma:

1633880375195.png

Bartleby

Again, no illustrations :( I'm watching the 2021 award ceremony and it showed the winners of the Peace prize and theirs were illustrated...

7278.jpg

Papageno

Unfortunately, there are no illustrations on Ernaux's diploma, and it now begins to seem the venerable old tradition of illustrated diplomas is gone for good.

1671716376728.png

Meanwhile, the Peace Prize diplomas are still richly illustrated:
1671716483293.png

I really cannot imagine that the SA is so short on cash that they had to ditch the illustrations! I don't know if they ever offered a coherent explanation why they changed the diplomas?

Ben Jackson

The Nobel diplomas are very amazing. The most beautiful of them all is the somewhat Dantesque vision of Solzhenistyn. It's like someone walking across the circles of Hell. I also like Transtromer's, like a shuttle between sleep and waking. I think when we are designing our diplomas for laureates for WLF Prize, we need to take a cue from Nobel Diplomas. It's very amazing. Don't know why the committee no longer gives beautiful illustrations like the past anymore.