The Nobel Prize in Literature

Stevie B

Current Member
Austrian literature just blows my mind to be honest. I remember Jelinek said that Handke would have been more deserving, and then considering Thomas Bernhard, Friederike Mayröcker, and Josef Winkler, it’s kind of a possibility that I could just read Austrian literature for the rest of my life.
I once owned a book that featured pictures of authors in their work spaces. The pictures often revealed so much about a writer. When I saw an obituary picture last year of Friederike Mayröcker in her study, I thought she should have been included in that book.
1655967198828.jpeg

Last edited:

Leseratte

I once owned a book that featured pictures of authors in their work spaces. The pictures often revealed so much about a writer. When I saw an obituary picture last year of Friederike Mayröcker in her study, I thought she should been included in that book.
View attachment 1234
:ROFLMAO:Looks very much like mine! The only insignificant difference is that I'm not a writer!

Stevie B

Current Member
:ROFLMAO:Looks very much like mine! The only insignificant difference is that I'm not a writer!
I'm just the opposite. I'm extremely anal retentive in how I shelve my books (which is one of the reasons I've yet to share any pictures of my library ;) ) and I need a clean workspace in order to do my best work. Just looking at Mayröcker's study raises my anxiety.

Leseratte

I never was so organized, but there was a time, when I knew exactly in which place in the shelves each of my books stood.
Today I have the chaos and the anxiety. But I would readily forgive my chaos if it engendered good literature.

Mise Eire

Reader
Austrian literature just blows my mind to be honest. I remember Jelinek said that Handke would have been more deserving, and then considering Thomas Bernhard, Friederike Mayröcker, and Josef Winkler, it’s kind of a possibility that I could just read Austrian literature for the rest of my life.
Not forgetting Ingeborg Bachmann, author of the highly regarded Malina.

Marba

Reader
Thirteen Nobel laureates in literature, one physics laureate and one chemistry laureate have written an open letter ahead of the upcoming UN Climate Change Conference in Egypt in which they urge world leaders not to forget about the thousands of political prisoners imprisoned in Egypt, and most urgently the writer and philosopher Alaa Abd el-Fattah.

Leseratte

I'm just the opposite. I'm extremely anal retentive in how I shelve my books (which is one of the reasons I've yet to share any pictures of my library ;) ) and I need a clean workspace in order to do my best work. Just looking at Mayröcker's study raises my anxiety.
In the long run, organization fares better.

Marba

Reader
Today the Swedish Academy has elected two new members to replace Sture Allén and Kjell Espmark who passed away last year.

Chair 3
David Håkansson (b. 1978), linguist and professor in Swedish language (formerly in Nordic languages) at Uppsala University.
Håkansson received his doctorate in 2008 at Lund University with the thesis Syntactic variation and change. A study of subjectless clauses in Old Swedish. Currently he is working on the project How fiction made Swedish modern. Fictional prose, authors and language change 1830–1930.

Anna Hellgren, literature editor at Expressen: "With Håkansson, who has had a rocket career since his dissertation on Old Swedish grammar in 2010, the Academy not only gets a well-reputed linguist but also much-needed youth. Born in 1978, he will by far be The Eighteen's youngest member."

Chair 16
Anna-Karin Palm (b. 1961), writer and culture journalist.
Debuted in 1991 with The Faun and has since published four more novels, nine children's books as well as short-story and essay collections. Her latest book, I Write Across Your Face, from 2021 depicts her mother's onset of Alzheimer's disease. Her biography on Selma Lagerlöf, I Want to Set the World in Motion, from 2019 received critical praise and awards.

Ulrika Milles, literature critic at Sveriges Television: "Anna-Karin Palm is an exciting writer who for many years has had a long writing career that is written in, one might say, a British novel tradition, in the spirit of Virginia Woolf. And then she hit it big with a big biography about Selma Lagerlöf a few years ago, which got a lot of attention."

Anna Hellgren: "Anna-Karin Palm fits in well with the Academy's new, tidy gang, where wayward and self-luminous writers like defectors Lotta Lotass, Sara Stridsberg or Klas Östergren are not represented. Palm is born in the 60s, a woman and a writer who can't be said for anything worse than that she may have written too few novels (four) - although "The Faun" was a banger for a debut (1991) - and lacks Espmark's weight academically as well as poetically. However, she has written children's books, a skill the Academy previously lacked."

When Håkansson and Palm take their seats in the end of December this year the majority of the SA members will have joined after the 2017 crisis.

MichaelHW

How does the academy know which books in other languages than English that are worthy of attention? If they have not been translated into English? Some texts that get attention in very populous countries have not been translated? For instance IGBO in Nigeria has more than four times as many users as Swedish? There are in fact many such languages, is you go by the mere number of speakers?

sibkron

How does the academy know which books in other languages than English that are worthy of attention? If they have not been translated into English? Some texts that get attention in very populous countries have not been translated? For instance IGBO in Nigeria has more than four times as many users as Swedish? There are in fact many such languages, is you go by the mere number of speakers?

Among academicians there are writers and translators who read in the main major European languages. Earlier on the Nobel committee there was Göran Malmqvist who could read Chinese.

Mise Eire

Reader
US members may know of radio station KCRW and its show Bookworm hosted by the highly regarded Michael Silverblatt. The show is on hiatus right now (presumably for health related reasons). The station has begun to package together old interviews of Nobel Prize winners. If you are interested in the dialogue between Mr. Silverblatt and NP winners such as Toni Morrison, Soyinka, Pamuk, Heaney, Ishiguro, MVL, Lessing , Milosz then you may want to visit the link below. (Many very well known authors seek out the opportunity to appear on the show - I'd encourage looking into the past archives - your favorite author may be there.)

Leseratte

I envy you!

Marba

Reader
It's Nobel week and on the radio I heard an interview with Swedish literary scholar Paul Tenngart who has written a new book on the Nobel Prize, "The Nobel Prize and the Formation of Contemporary World Literature", which is soon to be published.