The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Liam

Administrator
?? Wet Sand (2021), 3.5

A slow-moving, at times hallucinatory drama about an old man whose granddaughter travels to a remote seaside village to uncover her grandfather's hidden secrets. The movie is interesting in that it shows you a culture that we don't get to see too often (contemporary Georgia), and the LGBTQ+ content (nothing explicit, except for some brief female nudity) is important, given the country's vehement public homophobia. I am glad I watched it, though it is nothing earth-shattering. A note on the performances: they are excellent! Georgia is a beautiful country and I have a feeling I would love it there, if I felt safe enough to visit, ?

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

I want to ask you guys a question. If someone ask you the decade with best movies, what will be your choice? Secondly, what are your best movies for the decade chosen?

Leseratte

For me there is not only a decade but a whole era that goes from Kurosawa until Almodovar and which encompasses more or less the second half of the 20th century.
Some names that came to my mind:
Kurosawa: Dodeskaden, The Idiot, Dreams.
Alfred Hitchcock: Rear Window.
Buñuel:The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Forgotten, Belle the Jour and my favorite,The Phantom of Liberty
Ingmar Bergman: Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal.
Fellini: La Dolce Vita, Rome
Antonioni: Blow Up
Werner Herzog: Kaspar Hauser, Nosferato
Wim Wenders: Wings of Desire, Paris-Texas
Emir Kusturica: Black Cat, White Cat
Pedro Almodovar: Women on the Verge of a Nervous Break Down.
Joaquim Pedro de Andrade: Macunaíma
Glauber Rocha- Antonio das Mortes, Entranced Earth.

Killers of the Flower Moon. The runtime flew by, which is amazing. Very sad with a lot of humor throughout (the bumbling, evil criminals are also deeply stupid). Maybe DiCaprio's best performance.

tiganeasca

For me there is not only a decade but a whole era that goes from Kurosawa until Almodovar and which encompasses more or less the second half of the 20th century.
Buñuel:The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Forgotten, Belle the Jour and my favorite,The Phantom of Liberty
Interesting choices. But while I agree with Herzog, I would pick Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo. In any event, most of his stuff is eminently watchable.

Ben Jackson

I recently watched Belle de Jour, Seventh Seal and anotyer Ingmar Bergman's movie Winter Light. I really like how the focus was shifting from mental/surreal state of the actress (I can't remember her name) and her present/physical state, all the while highlighting her sexual fantasy. And between Seventh Seal and Winter Light, I don't even know which one's better, although I might slightly tip Winter Light because of the symbolic touches: the cold landscape been the major imagery.

Leseratte

Interesting choices. But while I agree with Herzog, I would pick Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo. In any event, most of his stuff . You 6this eminently watchable.
I think it's about Fitzcarraldo that there was a problem in the way how the Indians that were recruited for the film were treated.

tiganeasca

I think it's about Fitzcarraldo that there was a problem in the way how the Indians that were recruited for the film were treated.
That is certainly a great reason to criticize Herzog (who is quite an odd duck, it seems, from everything I have read or seen about him) and his team. But the movie itself is quite an achievement. To be completely honest, though, I think Aguirre is a better movie and, indeed, I would probably include it on a list of my ten all-time favorites. Klaus Kinski was a crazy man in real life and Herzog picking him for that role was nothing less than inspired!

Leseratte

It´s about the episode of transporting the ship, where three people got injured:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzcarraldo. The cast itself is very interesting. Besides Kinsky and Claudia Cardinale, two great Brazilian actors: Grande Othelo and José Lewgoy. And a curiosity: songwriter and singer Milton Nascimento as actor.
I can´t remember now if I saw Aguirre. My Favorite movies by Herzog were The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser and Nosferatu.

Benny Profane

Benny, two questions: Why didn't you like Dune II and what did your throw at Florence Pugh?

LOL! Yes, I confess: I throw a claw in her because she is Florence Pugh and I'm hater of Dune! ?

Actually, I never heard about her, I've never heard about Dune II (I haven't watched Dune I yet) and CCXP is based in São Paulo (I'm living in Salvador), so I wasn't there.

Stevie B

Current Member
LOL! Yes, I confess: I throw a claw in her because she is Florence Pugh and I'm hater of Dune! ?

Actually, I never heard about her, I've never heard about Dune II (I haven't watched Dune I yet) and CCXP is based in São Paulo (I'm living in Salvador), so I wasn't there.
Is CCXP a film festival?