'Tis pity she's a whore

Lovebooks

Wondering if someone can help me with the meaning of this sentence - in act 2 scene 1 following the sex between Annabella and her brother Giovanni, Giovanni says to his sister "...but be proud to know/ That yielding thou hast conquered, and inflamed/ A heart whose tribute is thy brother's life."
Annabella's response to this is what I don't quite understand
"And mine is his. O, how these stol'n contents/ Would print a modest crimson on my cheeks,/ Had any but my heart's delight prevailed!"
If someone could help me I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Stevie B

Current Member
I think she's saying she would be feeling embarrassed if she had lost her virginity to a man other than her brother. She feels joy, not regret or shame, because she gave her heart (and body) to her brother, a man toward whom she feels true love. Just a guess.

Lovebooks

One more question, if you were reading this aloud, what word would you stress on the line "had any but my heart's delight prevail'd!" ? Thanks

Stevie B

Current Member
One more question, if you were reading this aloud, what word would you stress on the line "had any but my heart's delight prevail'd!" ? Thanks

I defer to Liam on this, but if I were reading this, I'd stress "any". What sayeth thou, Sir Liam?

Liam

Administrator
Hmm, tough one, I'd stress the second syllable of "delight," but "any" would work as well, I suppose. "Had," "but," "my" and the first syllable of "prevail'd" are out of the question.