Translating fine literature

anarchistbanjo

Hello,
This is my first post and in scanning several threads I find that many I might be interested in have not been posted to in a great while. So, I'm just going to start a fresh one if that is ok.

I have a great interest in translation work and do it as a hobby, hoping that some day it might supplement my social security income! Chuckle. It seems that people here know quite a bit more than I do, and that's ok. I'm only trying to find some like minded people. Perhaps they are here or you can point me in the right direction.

I'm self taught in translation and I specialize in German literature from the years 1890 to 1930, the decadent years. I started out doing it for the love of reading authors that have not been translated or been translated poorly. It has been a sink or swim thing for me and I've been doing it for six years now as a hobby. It is not something that I could make a living with.

With a stroke of luck ( the first English translation was mangled and heavily censored) I managed to do a new and uncensored English translation of "Alraune" by Hanns Heinz Ewers, followed by several other books by him including "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", "Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I", "Illustrated Stories by Hanns Heinz Ewers", "Hanns Heinz Ewers Brevier", and "The Synagogue of Satan" by Stanislaw Przybyszewski. On going projects include other books by Hanns Heinz Ewers, Karl Hans Strobl, Leonhard Stein, Kurt Martens, Mia Holm and complete issues of the weekly literary magazines "Jugend" and "Simplicissimus". I only mention these to show that I am familiar with the translation of fine literature and poetry as opposed to technical or comic like phrases. I do the "hard stuff" because I love it! I would like to get to know others that go through what I go through.

That said, I might also be able to provide some insight into this type of translation work, so if you have any questions I would be glad to answer the best I can. My special ability seems to be the ability to put emotion into the translation and to make difficult philosophical concepts easier to understand. Books are ideas and I share the ideas behind the words in a way that retains the emotion and the philosophical intent. It lives, and to do that is an art, not a science!

bright blessings,

-joe