Tsitsi Dangarembga: Nervous Conditions

Bjorn

Reader
Tsitsi Dangarembga: Nervous Conditions

Gratitude. That's one of the clearest, and most double-edged, themes running through Tsitsi Dangarembga's 1988 debut, often voted one of the greatest African novels of the 20th century. And even if I don't completely agree that it is, I can see why others would think so.

Nervous Conditions is set in late-1960s and early-1970s Rhodesia, narrated by a woman named Tambudzai (though supposedly based on Dangarembga's own experiences) telling about her teenage years, starting with the day her brother dies. This, to Tambudzai, is almost a cause for celebration; not just because her brother is a complete brat who has tormented her (and gotten away with it, being the only boy in the family) for most of their lives, but because this means that she, as the oldest remaining child, will get to go to school despite being a... shudder... girl. After all, she's supposed to get married in a couple of years, what good is an education going to do her? But her rich uncle, educated in England ("a good boy, cultivatable, in the way land is, to yield harvests that sustain the cultivator") insists: after all, he's an enlightened African and knows that women are supposed to achieve a certain level of education so as to better serve their husbands. Just as long as she recognizes the enormous favour he's doing her, and that she never forgets that she needs to be humble and grateful for this - just like her alcoholic father is grateful towards his brother for all the times he's bailed him out of debt, like her worn-out mother is grateful towards her husband for marrying her even if he sleeps around on the side, like her uncle is grateful towards the white men for allowing him to learn how to be as civilized as they are... the word rights is, for the most part, conspicuous by its absence, and everything is always for someone else's benefit.

It might be a little simplistic to compare this to Yvonne Vera's Under The Tongue, since that's the only other Zimbabwean novel I've read. And sure, the two novels are polar opposites in some ways; where Vera loses herself in cryptic symbolic poeticisms, Dangarembga is, if anything, too literal. There are a few too many passages here where she, at least from my Western horizon, might have trusted the reader to see what she was getting at rather than spell it out and come dangerously close to sounding like a sociology textbook (Sexism in a Post-Colonial Africa: A Critical Study). And yet the story told is largely the same: the overlooked voices of girls and young women caught between a colonial power that tells them they should be grateful if they're ever treated as humans despite their race, and a traditional patriarchy (reinforced by the colonists) that tells them they should be grateful if they're ever treated as humans despite their sex. Where are they supposed to go? In both books - this one especially - the struggle for national independence is a background event, a foregone conclusion that's almost irrelevant; their own struggle has to take centre stage, especially since it's still ongoing.

The focus point of the novel - two of several very richly-drawn and complex characters - is the relationship between Tambu and her cousin Nyasha; one girl raised in a traditional home trying to fit into a Westernised system, the other raised in England and now expected to conform to traditional values - even though they live under the same roof. Neither manages to reconcile the two without giving up themselves to some degree. They're told in two languages to be grateful and subservient for what they get; but Tambu's English is as bad as Nyasha's Shona, and there's no language available to them to speak their own minds and write their own narrative.

Nervous Conditions is something of a rarity in that it's an explicitly political novel that still manages to weave its opinionating into a strong (if slightly talky) and psychologically complex narrative. Dangarembga has written a sequel, The Book of Not, which I'm sure I'll search out at some point; with Nervous Conditions, both she and Tambu take the right to be heard. ****0

mimi

Reader
I'm in the Hayden library at MIT doing some research, but I will be back to comment on this awesome writer! Bjorn "you are a cool dude!"

chika

Reader
Nervous Conditions is a brilliant novel. Unfortunataely, Tsitsi took a long break from writing and came back with the less striking, somewhat Verasque (read cryptic , self-referential language, poorly edited The Book of Not. Which is a shame, really.

mimi

Reader
Tsitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditions is a novel that is both semi autobiographical as well as a feminist take on the traditional technical explorative narrative form found in old European novels - think everything from Hardy's novels to Wuthering Heights.

One of the unique qualitities of Dangarembga's novel is that she weaves a masterful fictional account around the character Nyasha, who like Tsitsi in real life, finds herself displaced both culturally, emotionally, and some may argue psychologically, in a distant and "cold" foreign land, yearning for the rhythms, the warmth of Africa.
We find this juxtaposition and clash of cultures successfully employed in several post colonial novels, but what sets this aside is the manner in which Dangarembga inserts feministic idealism into a space (read African, in this case Zimbabwean culture) heretofore not thought to harbor or tolerate let alone struggle with these tensions. Tsitsi is not the first to strive to evoke these tensions on the written page and highlight the female voice. On the African literary scence, one remembers Nwapa (late - Efuru), Head, Emecheta, Aidoo and several others... Tsitsi take, however, is achieved brilliantly. A classic!

chika

Reader
Thanks so much for reminding me of Efuru. Efuru (1962) is groundbreaking in the sense that for the first time, we have a female protagonist who gives herself away (Efuru elopes and then gives her husband the money to pay her bride price), she leaves the marriage when it no longer satisfies her (in a culture where marriage is meant to be endured, no matter the circumstances) and takes on culturally male duties, therefore in a way becoming a man in a culture where "the man is the head" . Most interestingly, Efuru is both brilliant and beautiful. Before she came along, women in African fiction ( also oral fiction) could not be both. If they were beautiful, they were proud and so that beauty had to be marred to punish them for their excessive pride. If they were brilliant ( which they very often were not) , they were ugly. The eponymous Efuru became the model for the female protagonists of later works by African female writers. It definitely influenced Emecheta a great deal.

rishaj!

Reader
I had never heard about Dangarembga before. i read her nervous conditions because it was on my course in AS levels...and i have to say i absolutely loved it. It really potrayed some of the things a lot of people, women especially feel when they come from third world countries like mine. These are the places where women are never listened to and their opinions are considered unimportant, but as Tambu says, illegitimate. it also teaches us to speak out our minds and strive for what we believe in and there will be no way that we wont succeed!! (Maiguru's character)
These two themes, women rights, and fighting to get them are the two things i loved the most about this novel!
:)

umbrarchist

I just discovered this novel. I got an electronic version and used a program called AIReader to read it to me. It is nice to read and drive at the same time.

Personally I have a problem with this book. It is a matter of what she does not talk about and reviewers don't either. Computer readable books make it easy to search for and count words.

"education" is used 35 times
"educated" is used 33 times

Who decides what education is?

The words 'science', 'scientific' and 'scientist' are not in the book.

My mother sent me to a Catholic elementary school. They never taught science. My sister told me that a nun said, "science and religion don't mix." Europeans are in a dominant position in the world because of technology. So who defines and controls education? Comparing Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story in 11th grade never helped me in later life.

Starting to read science fiction in 4th grade did. I went to college for Electrical Engineering and worked for IBM.

So where are the tablet computers running PLATO software in Zimbabwe? LOL

It's a different world now.

Liam

Administrator
I haven't read the book myself, but I don't understand the reason(s) for your disappointment. A novel is a work of art and should be perceived accordingly. The book either succeeds as a work of art or it doesn't. Saying you didn't like it because it didn't read like a computer manual isn't really much of a criticism, ?‍♂️

umbrarchist

I haven't read the book myself, but I don't understand the reason(s) for your disappointment. A novel is a work of art and should be perceived accordingly. The book either succeeds as a work of art or it doesn't. Saying you didn't like it because it didn't read like a computer manual isn't really much of a criticism, ?‍♂️

I didn't say I didn't like it I said I have a problem with it. In a way it was informative which is part of why I read. I am not trying to judge literature. I am reading it to understand something about Africa and neocolonialism.

I am what is now referred to as an African American. I had to put up with white nuns in grade school who never taught science and expected me to give a damn about their religion.

Ever heard of C. P. Snow and The Two Cultures?

I expect more than art from a book that is worth my time unless it is mere entertainment. I am on Snow's side of the argument.

I have read an interview of Tsitsi. She describes the book as semiautobiographical. So my disappointment is with the reality she fictionalized not the book, but she could have raised the question. Who defines education?

But this book is the 1st of 3 and written when she was only 26. Maybe it comes up in a later book.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
^Thank you for elaborating, :)

I will say, though, that I come at this as a student of literature, so my responses/judgements are always and completely aesthetic!

But this doesn't and shouldn't mean that it's the ONLY way to read literature.

Like I said, I haven't read this particular novel, I was just curious why you responded so negatively to the author's use of "education" in something other than a scientific context. But I think I can see more clearly now where you're coming from, :)

umbrarchist

^Thank you for elaborating, :)

Like I said, I haven't read this particular novel, I was just curious why you responded so negatively to the author's use of "education" in something other than a scientific context. But I think I can see more clearly now where you're coming from, :)
All information is not equally important and conducive to understanding.

I am old enough to remember being told to "duck and cover" and hide under desks in school. I thought it was funny. I have no memory of the nuns explaining why.

We were given 20 words per week to learn to spell and use in a sentence. One week we were given ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM. We were never given FISSION and FUSION to spell and use in a sentence. Since I started reading science fiction in 4th grade I learned about nuclear weapons and what they would do to the world which helped persuade me of how stupid nuns were. Isaac Asimov had an IQ of 160.

I have encountered many cases of people leaving out information and often not knowing it themselves. How can you tell? Do you call them liars if you suspect it is deliberate?

How is it that double-entry accounting is 700 years old but economists and educators do not suggest that it be mandatory in the schools?

That could have been done since Sputnik.

Leseratte

Hi, Umbrarchist,

This book might interest you. I haven´t read it and I usually don´t recommend books I haven´t read myself, but it seems to be interesting:

tiganeasca

I read Nervous Conditions several years back and remember being disappointed with it. It wasn't a bad book, it wasn't badly written. My recollection is that there was nothing special about it; she didn't have something new or particularly interesting to say. I remember the disappointment more than anything because it is generally treated quite favorably in a number of places.

Not long after I finished it, she published the second in the Nervous Conditions "trilogy:" This Mournable Body. I remember two things about it: I didn't read it because I couldn't work up the enthusiasm or interest and that it was shortlisted for the Booker.

Stevie B

Current Member
Not long after I finished it, she published the second in the Nervous Conditions "trilogy:" This Mournable Body. I remember two things about it: I didn't read it because I couldn't work up the enthusiasm or interest and that it was shortlisted for the Booker.
The dreaded Booker kiss of death?

umbrarchist

Hi, Umbrarchist,

This book might interest you. I haven´t read it and I usually don´t recommend books I haven´t read myself, but it seems to be interesting:
I think one of the problems with education is the education business. A lot of people are more interested in making a living off the education business than actually doing any educating.

How much would it cost to have an Anglophonic K-12 Global Recommended Reading List? There are 68,000 free works in Project Gutenberg, if 1% of that is worthwhile it could be very useful. But how would people make money on free books?

We must maintain GDP worship!