What do you do?

alik-vit

Reader
Hi, folks!
Right now I write short piece about Soviet trip of Bernard Shaw. And there is one point, where I need your help. Here you can see the entry from the diary of British diplomat:

"At 3.30 Cave and I took him to see the Kazan cathedral ('not very interesting') and then over to St. Isaac's Cathedral".

Can you explain me the meaning of this "over"? Is it indication to repeated action (=again) or to huge space between one cathedral and other? Or something else? It's very important for the subject to know: did Shaw visited St. Isaac one time or two.

Thanks in advance!

Ben Jackson

I'm not a linguist, but I think by saying over to something, it creates a huge space between one thing from the other. Like when somebody said I visited Madison Square and after five hours went over to a Jazz bar in Harlem, it suggested that the individual went first to Madison Square and then went to the next place which is Jazz bar in Harlem. I don't see the word "over" as repetitive.

Hi, folks!
Right now I write short piece about Soviet trip of Bernard Shaw. And there is one point, where I need your help. Here you can see the entry from the diary of British diplomat:

"At 3.30 Cave and I took him to see the Kazan cathedral ('not very interesting') and then over to St. Isaac's Cathedral".

Can you explain me the meaning of this "over"? Is it indication to repeated action (=again) or to huge space between one cathedral and other? Or something else? It's very important for the subject to know: did Shaw visited St. Isaac one time or two.

Thanks in advance!
I think "then over to" simply indicates the next destination. I don't think it necessarily indicates distance, though the context here makes it clear it was the same day (so not too far away). I could just as easily say, "I'll be visiting Paris for a few days before heading over to Rome."

Liam

Administrator
Grammatically, in this sentence at least, "over" is attached to "to," the sentence would mean the same if it read: "we took him to see the Kazan cathedral and then to St. Isaac's Cathedral." It's the way the English language works, you sometimes insert this "over" to indicate an additional action immediately following the first: "We had coffee at Starbucks and then I took him over to my apartment to meet my parents." In this sentence at least, it looks like Shaw only visited St. Isaac's ONCE, but maybe he visited it again on some other occasion, you'll have to check.