WLF Prize 2023 - Scholastique Mukasonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Scholastique Mukasonga's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Feel free to share any links related to her, as well as ideas on where to start reading the author :)

Bartleby

I have no idea what to think of Mukasonga (other than seeing her name being recommended here and there), which is a good thing, a new (to me) author to discover ?

I think I'll start chronologically with Cockroaches (Inyenzi ou les cafards); also her works are quite short, thank goodness!

Ben Jackson

Haven't read this author yet, but I've pencilled down Barefoot Woman, Our Lady of the Nile. Hopefully will be reading her.

alik-vit

Reader
She was in my TBR list. Her "Our Lady of the Nile" is forthcoming here next month. I will read this one and try to buy some Archipelago's books.

hayden

Glad we have her as a nominee this year. I needed that extra little push to read Cockroaches (about two months ago), and this forum kinda gave me the motivation to open it. No regrets. Hoping it does the same for others.

I've read these works by her—
Cockroaches (recently)
The Barefoot Woman
Igifu
(recently)

And I plan on reading these—
Our Lady of The Nile
Kibogo
(her new one)

If Such a Beautiful Diploma! is translated into English this year, I'll get on that too.

Leemo

For those in the US, Archipelago Books has a sale on now, so you can buy some of Mukasonga's work for pretty decent prices directly from the publisher. Sadly even in neighbouring Canada the shipping costs are more expensive then the non-sale price of the book..

tiganeasca

I just finished Our Lady of the Nile and will admit to being enormously disappointed. I didn't find the writing anything special, I didn't find the plot or the "message" anything special, and overall I must say that I don't eagerly anticipate my next effort at her work. I will, without doubt, read more, because it's unwise and unfair to dismiss a writer based on a single work. That said, I am more than a little surprised at the reception this work has received. There is a blurb on the back of my edition saying that "Mukasonga writes in a luminous and penetrating language...." I have no idea who the author of that line is (Jérôme Garcin of Le Nouvel Observateur) but he must not read much. The prose, while clear and straightforward, is about as far as I can imagine from being either "luminous" or "penetrating." This is a simple story about girls at a prestigious Catholic boarding school in Rwanda; the civil war inevitably finds its way to the school. But that doesn't truly take place until the end of the book. The tangents (the visit from the Queen of Belgium, the stereotyped white "collector" of Tutsi girls) are not only tangential, but so clichéed as to have little or no impact. It's hard to care about these characters more generally because few of them are developed at all. I understand Mukasonga's desire to bear witness to what happened in Rwanda, but I am totally baffled that this won the Prix Renaudot or, quite honestly, any prize at all. I have read my share--possibly more than my share--of books recounting civil wars and of horrors and terrors very like this: this book doesn't compare to the best of those even remotely. Is it a story that far too few know much about? Without question. Is this the book to impress the horror on readers? Not in my opinion.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Not to be contrarian or to invalidate others' opinions regarding Mukasonga, but I had a more positive experience reading her. A lot must have been lost in English translation, so I'll quote her in French to avoid weakening her stuff in the same way. Sorry for the long post.

Let me point out that JG chose language instead of prose in his quote, because, at least in the little I've read of her work, Mukasonga's work mimics orality, giving us either the testimony/interiority of her characters or a folktale/fairy-tale/fable like narration.

She sprinkles pathos and irony at different places together with deadpan insights discretely dropped here and there.

You guys are right that the plot of Our Lady of the Nile is no big shakes. But this, I think, is intentional, the plot no more than scaffolding for Mukasonga's themes. Women as cattle, members of her ethnicity as vermin, her remembering that homo homini lupus and all.

Notice how the book starts ironically with a claim that the girls studying at Our Lady of the Nile know that they are more than cattle: they're also tradable assets in the relatives market. And how as soon as a girl begins to menstruate her mother, who's been spying on her for signs of menses, explains to her how, in order to be a real woman, she will have to marry and have many children, preferably sons, else she'd be useless.

As for pathos, see what the wise and bienveillante aunt, Skolastika, whispers in the ear of her niece, Virginia, a “longue litanie des souhaits : « Girumugabo, que tu aies un mari ! Girabana benshi, beaucoup d’enfants ! Girinka, que tu aies des vaches ! Gira amashyo, un grand troupeau ! Ramba, ramba, longue vie ! Gira amahoro, que la paix soit avec toi ! Kaze neza, sois la bienvenue ! ”
There's a certain sadness and beauty in the limits of womanly wishes being a husband, many children and cattle: a long, peaceful life.

I'll save the longest quote for the end of the post, the delightful one regarding Gorillas vs Rwandans in the eyes of white people. First I want to point out that J Garcin in a review of Mukasonga's Inyenzi called her prose Kafkian. This is a more accurate description, in the sense that both are simple in their vocabulary, clear in their syntax and that both carry a certain fairy/folktale flavor. Inyenzi's plot includes some brutality that would make de Sade proud.

In Mukasonga's defense, she makes her hellscapes enjoyable to read, to a certain extent, and differently than that other outstanding French provider of enfers fabuleux, Volodine, her guro creations are based upon facts.

Notice the strong sense of orality in this quote from one of her short stories, Fear (from L'Iguifou):

"À Nyamata, disait ma mère, il faut toujours avoir dans sa tête que, pour eux, nous sommes des Inyenzi, des cafards, des serpents, des êtres nuisibles. Quand tu rencontres un militaire, un milicien, un inconnu, rappelle-toi que son projet, c’est celui de te tuer, qu’il sait qu’un jour, ce sera lui ou un autre, il te tuera. Et s’il ne le fait pas aujourd’hui, il le fera bientôt, il se demande même pourquoi tu es encore en vie. Mais il est patient. Il sait que tu ne pourras lui échapper. Il sait que son devoir, c’est de te tuer. Il croit que c’est lui ou toi. C’est ce qu’on lui a appris. C’est ce qu’il entend à la radio. C’est ce qu’il chante. Il a même mis un chapelet autour du cou pour que le dieu des abapadri soit avec lui lorsqu’il viendra te tuer. Sois toujours sur tes gardes. Ne crois pas aux belles paroles même si celui qui te les adresse est sincère quand il te les dit, au fond de son cœur se tapit toujours le projet de te tuer. Ne te laisse pas surprendre, la mort est partout en embuscade. Tu dois être plus agile qu’elle, comme la gazelle qui s’enfuit au moindre frôlement dans les hautes herbes. Il faut que tu admires la mouche qui voit de tous les côtés. Et devant, et derrière. Il faut que tu aies les yeux de la mouche. Dis-toi que tu es une mouche. Et le chien, prends modèle sur le chien. Tu crois qu’il dort, le museau entre les pattes, qu’il dort si profondément que le tonnerre lui-même ne pourrait le réveiller. Mais une feuille tombe, et le voilà sur ses pattes ! Il faut apprendre à dormir comme le chien. Il est bon d’avoir peur. Car la peur nous tient éveillés. La peur nous fait entendre ce que les insouciants ne peuvent entendre. Tu sais ce que disent les abapadri au catéchisme, que chaque homme a un ange gardien qui veille sur lui, nous, notre ange gardien, c’est la peur."

I'd like to add a couple of quotes stolen from a Garcin review of L'Iguifou (Garcin might be a poor reader, but he's a quotable reviewer):

"How can one write so well about what has been cursed, so lightly about such a tragedy, and without hatred? Why this stubborn need to remember. Remembering means giving voice to the innocent victims, restoring the African bliss of the time before the end of the world, and, above all, not surrendering.

She restores her childhood experiences on this perfectly balanced book: the joy of living among cows while reading Malraux, Sartre and Camus on the sly. Out of hunger, she conjures a beast, an 'Iguifou', which gnaws at the belly and drives people mad. From death, who almost snatched her away as a starving girl, a dazzling light. From fear, a hunting shadow that, even at night, pursued the Tutsis even inside churches and sanctuaries. And from beauty, a malediction"

"When the Hutus, armed with machetes, were approaching the Tutsi villages, the women hastily dressed their children and put on their most elegant clothes: 'This desire for beauty,' writes Scholastique Mukasonga, 'was an act defiance against the killers and against death'."

As for intelligent insights hiding as uneducated ramblings and girls talk:

“On dirait à présent que les gorilles n’appartiennent qu’aux Bazungu. Il n’y a qu’eux qui peuvent les voir, les approcher. Ils sont amoureux des gorilles. Au Rwanda, il n’y a d’intéressant que les gorilles. Tous les Rwandais doivent être au service des gorilles, les boys des gorilles, ne se préoccuper que des gorilles, ne vivre que pour eux. Il y a même une femme blanche qui vit parmi eux. Elle déteste tous les hommes, surtout les Rwandais. Elle vit toute l’année avec les singes. Elle a construit sa maison au milieu d’eux. Elle a ouvert un centre de santé pour les gorilles. Tous les Blancs l’admirent. Elle reçoit beaucoup d’argent pour les gorilles. Moi je ne veux pas laisser les gorilles aux Blancs. Ils sont aussi des Rwandais. On ne peut pas les laisser aux étrangers. J’ai le devoir d’aller les voir. J’irai. Les professeurs disent que les singes sont nos ancêtres. Cela met le père Herménégilde en colère. Ce n’est pas ce que raconte ma mère. Elle dit que les gorilles, autrefois, c’étaient des hommes, ils se sont enfuis dans la forêt, elle ne sait pas pourquoi, ils ont oublié d’être des hommes, à force de vivre dans la forêt ils sont devenus des géants couverts de poils mais, quand ils voient une jeune fille vierge, ils se souviennent qu’ils ont été des hommes, ils cherchent à l’enlever, mais les femelles, qui sont leurs épouses légitimes et bien entendu jalouses, les en empêchent violemment.
— J’ai vu cela au cinéma, interrompit Veronica, un singe immense qui tenait une femme dans sa main…
— Ce n’est pas du cinéma ce que je vous dis, je l’ai entendu de la bouche de ma mère.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Thanks for the long and thoughtful post. In a nutshell, I find much to appreciate in what you write but I just don’t buy much of the explanation.

To take your points in order: “Mukasonga's work mimics orality, either the testimony/interiority of her characters or a folktale/fairy-tale/fable like narration.” First, I’m not sure that mimicking orality is a plus or a minus of itself. I think that orality has potential to contribute but it’s all in how it’s handled. And honestly, I don’t think it need be present at all. I have read many African (and other) novelists whose work is heavily redolent of orality, in some cases quite powerfully, and it generally contributes positively to the impact of the work. I honestly didn’t get a sense of an oral tradition informing this work. I obviously can’t speak to her short stories or anything else at this point but I would argue that there is little sense of orality in this novel. I am also more than willing to consider that the translation may be responsible for that absence.

(I thought a sense of orality came through impressively (to focus here only on African fiction) in the much of Tutuola or in the translation of Boubacar Boris Diop’s Doomi Golo (which, if my memory serves, is not even a direct translation from Wolof to English but of a translation originally from Wolof to French (?) and thence to English) or of Aniceti Kitereza’s Tanzanian epic Mr. Myombekere and His Wife Bugonoka… (translated by Gabriel Ruhumbika). It’s even quite present in Meja Mwangi’s funny and pathetic (as in pathos) Striving for the Wind. And as much as it contributed in each case, I think part of the value of the contribution is that I cannot imagine those works having the same power without it. I do not get that sense with Our Lady of the Nile.)

“She sprinkles pathos and irony at different places together with deadpan insights discretely dropped throughout.” I disagree. Pathos, yes. Irony, yes. But I saw very few insights of any kind. Sadly, this kind of tale is too frequent in the literatures of the world and I think she added little, if anything, by way of original commentary or perceptiveness. I think an enormously powerful work about the themes she raises exists. This isn’t it. The gorilla metaphor strikes me as one of the few highlights of the book. But I think she made far too little of it. There is no need to hit the reader over the head to make one’s point and, to her credit, she didn’t. But I thought this was one instance where she was actually on to something and didn’t sufficiently exploit the point.

“I must agree that the plot of Our Lady of the Nile is no big shakes.” I would have been entirely content with a relatively absent plot if there were something else in the novel to make an impression. Likewise, I have no objection whatever to her using plot as scaffolding for her themes, but her themes—again—are not original except for their particular Rwandan context. And she generally makes too little of them. “Women as cattle, members of her ethnicity as vermin, her remembering that homo homini lupus and all.” There are too many works with these themes in literatures from around the world to just reiterate this kind of material without adding something. At the end, I found that Mukasonga had little or nothing new to add to the “genre” of this kind of horror fiction. (And by calling it horror fiction, I certainly do not mean to make light; I mean it literally.) Coetzee, Pavese, Atiq Rahimi, Sinan Antoon, not to mention classics like Weisel or Kuznetsov or Ginzburg.

As to M. Garcin, I believe that he is confusing the subject with the messenger, which is what makes me wonder about his bona fides. The mere fact that Mukasonga—or anyone at all—is writing about “such a tragedy” doesn’t mean that because the subject is so important and so powerful that every work about it is as well. I think he gives himself away in the next sentence you quoted: “Remembering means giving voice to the innocent victims, restoring the African bliss of the time before the end of the world, and, above all, not surrendering.” Yes. All true. It would be hard to disagree with that. It’s simply true as a general matter. But simply because the subject is essential doesn’t mean the writing is good. My point remains and I stand by it: I found nothing at all exceptional, remarkable, or memorable about her prose. If anything, I found the ordinariness of her prose a possibly intentional choice to underscore the non-ordinariness of what she was ultimately depicting. But if she chooses to proceed that way, then the novel needs to rely on other devices to score an impact. And I felt virtually none. Certainly no visceral impact. I read news stories at the time that had far more impact on me than this novel, sadly.

All things considered, I stand by my original comments. I am entirely willing to believe that this may not be a representative work, but that decision will have to await more reading.

Leseratte

Finished Our Lady of the Nile. I have as yet read few African authors specially women authors.
On the whole I liked this girl coming of age novel, set in the Rwanda of the nineties in the specific context of the ethnic conflict between the Tutsis and the Hutus.
I had to understand better this issue about the Tutsis and the Hutus, why the discrimination was so open that it was seen as normal that the Tutsi girls of the boarding school were offended to their faces by their Hutu Classmates. According to this Wikipedia link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide, the Tutsis were initially considered the elite of Rwanda by the white colonizers (the Belgians at the time of the story) and got the best civil servant jobs available. This generated a revolt of the much more numerous Hutus( 84% of the population of the country). Where there initially wasn´t any separation at all, a deadly hate between the Hutus and the less numerous ethnic groups was generated in the course of colonization. As the most numerous group in the country, the Hutus managed to invert the situation in regard to the whites, establishing themselves as the new elite, while the Tutsis became the "cockroaches". And the hatred went further ending in the 1994 mass cruelty and genocide of Tutsis and Twas comited by the Hutus.

If the plot isn´t outstanding, to my understanding, the microcosms of the school represents well the major social and political tensions of Rwanda. The figures all seem to present social rather than personal traits. And, considering the high value placed on education by the African nations I consider it an interesting innovation the ironic depiction of the subject ( see Cleanthess, 12). Education here has merely the function of producing a diploma that makes the female elite of the country on the marriage market.

Something I also found interesting is that there are two forms of narrative: the official European/Catholic one which overlays maybe not always blending perfectly the oral mythical discourse, of the protectors of the shadow world. There is a moment when these two narratives blend poetically in what may be simultaneously be a calling on hidden forces and a catholic litany, conjuring the ideal female destiny. I was only aware of this when I saw the citation in French. So stealing from Cleanthess: « Girumugabo, que tu aies un mari ! Girabana benshi, beaucoup d’enfants ! Girinka, que tu aies des vaches ! Gira amashyo, un grand troupeau ! Ramba, ramba, longue vie ! Gira amahoro, que la paix soit avec toi ! Kaze neza, sois la bienvenue ! ”

Not having read enough African narratives I can´t even conjecture if the novel is Nobel level or not, but to me it seems very representative of Rwandas social conflicts.

alik-vit

Reader
Just finished "Our Lady of the Nile". And I'm more inclined towards tiga's restraint reaction. This novel is collection of more or less independent stories (chapters) about life of elite school for girls in Rwanda in the atmosphere of immense bloodbath. The range of Mukasonga's registers here is very broad - from comic to tragic, her style (in its Russian version, at least) plain and straightforward, but she tries to bring in this narrative some pinches of "traditional" mythic images. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't, but most part of this book is OK. Not Nobel level, I think, but OK.
For me main problem here was historical background. There is very strong temptation to read this book as a kind of literature of witnesses. And she herself in her interviews speaks about her project as consequence of this terrible atrocities - infamous genocide of tutsi. But it was the historical event. And historical event tends to have historical causes. You can't understand 1994, if you forget 1972, and all this complicated story of distribution and redistribution of power in this land, etc. In this novel we have one good side and one evil side. And this "evilness" becomes almost transcendental vice. Last chapter was a big disappointment and made of good average novel very shaky construction.
Maybe, at least partly, the reason is her own lack of understanding of what kind of novel she is writing: it's not psychological or Bildungsroman (there is no real development of characters), not social (lack of elaborated background), not satirical one. Maybe horror of this long situation demands some "technical" tools for its description: like "остранение" by Imre Kertesz, or suggestive and opaque images by Paul Celan or Nelly Sachs, or clear-sighted analytical narrator by Primo Levi. Mukasonga tends to distance herself from this dimension of literature. As a result, what we have is not historical witnesses, not advanced artobject. But, of course, I have more her books on my TBR list.

Leseratte

Just finished "Our Lady of the Nile". And I'm more inclined towards tiga's restraint reaction. This novel is collection of more or less independent stories (chapters) about life of elite school for girls in Rwanda in the atmosphere of immense bloodbath. The range of Mukasonga's registers here is very broad - from comic to tragic, her style (in its Russian version, at least) plain and straightforward, but she tries to bring in this narrative some pinches of "traditional" mythic images. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't, but most part of this book is OK. Not Nobel level, I think, but OK.
For me main problem here was historical background. There is very strong temptation to read this book as a kind of literature of witnesses. And she herself in her interviews speaks about her project as consequence of this terrible atrocities - infamous genocide of tutsi. But it was the historical event. And historical event tends to have historical causes. You can't understand 1994, if you forget 1972, and all this complicated story of distribution and redistribution of power in this land, etc. In this novel we have one good side and one evil side. And this "evilness" becomes almost transcendental vice. Last chapter was a big disappointment and made of good average novel very shaky construction.
Maybe, at least partly, the reason is her own lack of understanding of what kind of novel she is writing: it's not psychological or Bildungsroman (there is no real development of characters), not social (lack of elaborated background), not satirical one. Maybe horror of this long situation demands some "technical" tools for its description: like "остранение" by Imre Kertesz, or suggestive and opaque images by Paul Celan or Nelly Sachs, or clear-sighted analytical narrator by Primo Levi. Mukasonga tends to distance herself from this dimension of literature. As a result, what we have is not historical witnesses, not advanced artobject. But, of course, I have more her books on my TBR list.
On the whole I agree with Tiga and you Alik, but there is an uncomfortable question that creeps up every time I read a book by a younger country. When did the people of this country start to read and write (usually in the colonizer´s language). And aren´t we applying too European standards (which may vary in itself from country to country but are centuries old)to their cultural productions? How many centuries of literacy were necessary for the emergency of a Cervantes, a Dickens, a Dostoieski, a Joyce, a Balzac, etc. not to speak o the great poets? And in the case of the women the advent of literacy in the new countries was still later, as the access to school itself was often much later? So, eventually what may count as a good average novel according to general (European) standards may be considered outstanding on Rwandan terms?

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
So, eventually what may count as a good average novel according to general (European) standards may be considered outstanding on Rwandan terms?
Indeed, it's sensitive question. But I would say, we should make distinction between artistic and historical values of book. It can be novel of great importance for this national literature, but with very average artistic qualities. I will include it in my curriculum for class devoted to the history of this literature. But when we speak about "world literature" in our context... I would say, what I said: it's OK. On the other hand, I see inner vice of this statement, because it's Iike: "we make artobjects for art museums, "natives" make artifacts for museums of anthropology", which is shameful colonialistic perspective, of course. Where is solution?

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I'm beginning to wonder how this author managed to garner so many votes as to push out the likes of Anne Carson from our list, ?

On the subject of "young" literatures:

- absolutely ALL literary traditions, in their oral form at least, go back centuries if not millennia
- some nations do indeed arrive "late" at writing things down: compare and contrast, for example, Greeks with Estonians
- would you describe the author in question as "purely" Rwandan? or is she Rwandan-French at this point? doesn't she live in Paris?

Leseratte

Indeed, it's sensitive question. But I would say, we should make distinction between artistic and historical values of book. It can be novel of great importance for this national literature, but very average artistic qualities. I will include it in my curriculum for class devoted to the history of this literature.
You are right Alik, but this poses another difficulty: considering that art patterns change according to periods, what exactly is considered a work of art today or an exceptional book? What I have been noticing, specially at the concession of recent awards, is that the cherished values paired with or even above originality of language or experimentalism are inclusion and difference (of gender, of race, of cultural background).

On the other hand, I see inner vice of this statement, because it's Ike: "we make artobjects for art museums, "natives" make artifacts for museums of anthropology", which is shameful colonialistic perspective, of course. Where is solution?

I think I see what you mean, but what I think is that there are several perspectives, only some of them are more dominant than others in the international context. For example, if I use the word "native", I am usually speaking from a colonizer´s perspective. The "natives" would not use that word to describe themselves. The problem is that usually when we think about art, we automatically think about it from a dominant perspective as if it were the only one possible.

alik-vit

Reader
You are right Alik, but this poses another difficulty: considering that art patterns change according to periods, what exactly is considered a work of art today or an exceptional book? What I have been noticing, specially at the concession of recent awards, is that the cherished values paired with or even above originality of language or experimentalism are inclusion and difference (of gender, of race, of cultural background).

I think I see what you mean, but what I think is that there are several perspectives, only some of them are more dominant than others in the international context. For example, if I use the word "native", I am usually speaking from a colonizer´s perspective. The "natives" would not use that word to describe themselves. The problem is that usually when we think about art, we automatically think about it from a dominant perspective as if it were the only one possible.

Absolutely agree with last part of your post. That is why I wrote "natives". "Natives", "frontier", etc are parts of vocabulary of domination. But dichotomy of center vs periphery is too simplistic too. There is this concept of "contact zone" by Mary Louise Pratt with its "autoethnography" and "transculturation", which can be more useful. Literature is kind of contact zone with its immanent asymmetry of power relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.