WLF Prize 2024 - Anne Carson

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Anne Carson's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Feel free to share any links related to her, as well as ideas on where to start reading the author :)

Benny Profane

Her books available in Portuguese:

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Her new poem (from @faulkner):

Her new book (from @alik-vit):

Last edited:

Phil D

My first encounter with Anne Carson was with the poem 'Merry Christmas from Hegel' anthologized in The Penguin Book of the Prose Poem (it's originally part of Nox).

Since then I've read The Beauty of the Husband, Autobiography of Red and Plainwater. Of those, maybe I'd suggest The Beauty of the Husband as the best one to start with?
1697325661538.png1697325736592.png

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Known for collage-like writings, I would say she's like Borges of Poetry in the sense that her writings isn't just poetry volumes alone but blends libretto, essay and criticism.
I would recommend as starting point either Plainview or Autobiography of Red, before one head towards Beauty of the Husband, Men in the Off Hours and Descreation. As a brilliant classicist, you can try her translations of Antigone and Sappho as well.

faulkner

Reader
Other than the price tag I would agree that Nox is an incredible starting point. Grounded in her personal experience and grief, it nonetheless shows her full capacities on display, as a thinker, a poet, and something of a visual collage artist. I don’t think it’s her strongest book, although I love it. But I do think it’s probably her most approachable (again other than the fact that it tends to be expensive and difficult to borrow from libraries).

Last edited:

Americanreader

Other than the price tag I would agree that Nox is an incredible starting point. Grounded in her personal experience and grief, it nonetheless shows her full capacities on display, as a thinker, a poet, and something of a visual collage artist. I don’t think it’s her strongest book, although I love it. But I do think it’s probably her most approachable (again other than the fact that it tends to be expensive and difficult to borrow from libraries).
I did get a really funny look when I Inter library loaned it myself.

Leseratte

Thanks, Benny!

Leseratte

Welcome back, faulkner.

Leemo

Would Beauty of the Husband be a bad place to start? It's the only work of hers I already own..

hayden

Would Beauty of the Husband be a bad place to start? It's the only work of hers I already own..

Yeah— that might be Carson at her Carson-y-est. You'd get a great sense of her style, and it isn't super lengthy.
Being said, no matter what you think of it (for better or worse), go into Autobiography of Red next. Essential.

Would love to get my hands on a copy of Float. Her most recent work (2016) doesn't seem to be discussed much (probably because it's difficult to get a hold of) but I'm very curios as to what it is and how it works.

Phil D

Would love to get my hands on a copy of Float. Her most recent work (2016) doesn't seem to be discussed much (probably because it's difficult to get a hold of) but I'm very curios as to what it is and how it works.
Plastic case, slightly smaller than A4 format, 22 chapbooks with no fixed reading order (I have no idea if they're still in the order they came in). Bought it months back but haven't got stuck in yet. Screenshot_20231016-113434~2.pngScreenshot_20231016-113441~2.pngScreenshot_20231016-113447~2.png

Bartleby

I've only read this one, so I wouldn't be able to compare, but I did not find it difficult, quite on the contrary, it was very straightforward, I felt ?

It paints these various scenes on the dissolution of a marriage, and they can be quite vivid and painful...

The first poem/essay/tango is quite striking, specially its ending:

I. I DEDICATE THIS BOOK TO KEATS (IS IT YOU WHO TOLD ME KEATS WAS A DOCTOR?) ON GROUNDS THAT A DEDICATION HAS TO BE FLAWED IF A BOOK IS TO REMAIN FREE AND FOR HIS GENERAL SURRENDER TO BEAUTY

A wound gives off its own light
surgeons say.
If all the lamps in the house were turned out
you could dress this wound
by what shines from it.

Fair reader I offer merely an analogy.

A delay.

“Use delay instead of picture or painting—
a delay in glass
as you would say a poem in prose or a spittoon in silver.”
So Duchamp
of The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors

which broke in eight pieces in transit from the Brooklyn Museum

to Connecticut (1912).

What is being delayed?
Marriage I guess.
That swaying place as my husband called it.
Look how the word
shines.

Leseratte

Vilma Arêas is another iconic professor from USP. Not acquainted with her translations though.

Last edited:

Phil D

any "Collected Poems" anthology available yet? Or some sort of anthology where I can find several of her books?
Not that I'm aware of. Closest thing to that would probably be Plainwater (1995), which includes some previously published work.
But she publishes in diverse formats (verse novels like The Beauty of the Husband, Autobiography of Red, boxes of chapbooks and scraps like like Nox and Float, comics, plays) in a way that doesn't really lend itself to anthologisation. Her Collected Works would have to come in a suitcase or something.