WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Which of these writers should be on our shortlist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bartleby

So, I believe we can start thinking about our next year award project, right?

Just refreshing our minds of the rules we were operating under these past few years:

1. We should nominate only living authors who haven't won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
2. Our nominations should consist of three writers, ranked.
3. The shortlist will consist of three writers.
4. Members should have read at least one book by each shortlisted author before casting a final vote on who's the winner.
5. In order to be nominated at least one book by the writer should be readily available in English.
6. Writers shortlisted on the previous year cannot be nominated again.*

The nominations from the 2023 prize can be seen here.

Feel free to first of all give your opinions on what could be changed in the whole process this year, if anything. Otherwise, we can start nominating our next writers to read and discuss throughout the end of September 2024 :)

Just remembering that any member can participate, be it only by helping nominate the candidates, or going all the way through to deciding the winner.

*this mean Can Xue, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o, Ismail Kadare, and Fleur Jaeggy are eligible again, but not António Lobo Antunes or Scholastique Mukasonga (let alone Jon Fosse, Gerald Murnane or László Krasznahorkai, our previous winners).

hayden

Not quite sure who I'm going to nominate yet, but I'd like to say I have no qualms with the nomination process. Wouldn't change a thing. Just hoping we get as many nominations as possible :)

I'll give my 3 choices a think-over this weekend. I've always gone with poets, but none of my choices have ever made the final cut. Might toss in a novelist this time around.

Bartleby

Thanks, Bartleby. What is the deadline to submit the three names.?
If everyone's okay with the way we've been doing this, by the beginning of the week I'll send you all a Google forms link to submit your choices, and then maybe we can have our authors by the end of the week?

Btw, don't mean to influence anyone, or maybe I do (?), but let's have Carson this year, please!

nagisa

Spiky member
I think I'll go with:

Anne Carson
Dương Thu Hương
Ali Smith

Shitpost wildcard: Judith Butler

(The SA used to reward philosophers! Russell '50 being the last I think. I'm discounting Camus '57 and Sartre '64 since they had written bodies of fiction as well.)

Last edited:

Leseratte

If everyone's okay with the way we've been doing this, by the beginning of the week I'll send you all a Google forms link to submit your choices, and then maybe we can have our authors by the end of the week?

Btw, don't mean to influence anyone, or maybe I do (?), but let's have Carson this year, please!
Speaking about influence, are we all going to vote openly?

Bartleby

Speaking about influence, are we all going to vote openly?
You mean, the final voting to select the winner? If so, usually it's been done openly, yes. For the nominations, while anyone is free to advocate for their picks here, I kindly ask you to submit your choices in a google forms link I will post here tomorrow, just for the sake of organisation and control :)

Americanreader

1) Anne Carson
2) Adonis
3) Taylor Swift

I have citations too, in case that sways anyone:

Anne Carson, Canadian poet and essayist - for a poet who combines the ancient with the intensely modern to unveil new horizons in both the poem and the essay, thus creating a literary legacy all her own.

Adonis, Syrian poet - for a poet who introduced modernist techniques to the venerable tradition of Arabic language poetry, and whose prophetic work will similarly resound throughout the ages.

Taylor Swift, American songwriter - for a songwriter whose compositions exploring the nuances of emotion and memory, as well as the rich web of interpersonal relationships, have captured the attention and affection of listeners throughout the world. Her work has created new entries in the revered Great American Songbook.

Last edited: