WLF Prize 2024 - Dương Thu Hương

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Dương Thu Hương's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Feel free to share any links related to her, as well as ideas on where to start reading the author :)

Leseratte

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Dương Thu Hương's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Feel free to share any links related to her, as well as ideas on where to start reading the author :)
She is admirable. Sharing this article because I encountered a paywall. No problem when googling the article. If there is any problem in posting it here I beg the staff to remove it again.

"PARIS, July 9 - Wearing an elegant tweed jacket and sipping fruit juice in a Left Bank cafe here, the writer Duong Thu Huong hardly cuts a threatening figure. But Ms. Huong, 58, evidently does in her native Vietnam, where she has spent time in jail, has seen her books banned and for 11 years was denied a passport to travel abroad.

Her sins, it seems, are many. Her novels dissecting life under one of the last Communist regimes are published and well received in the West. She is a former Communist Party member who was expelled as a traitor. And above all, she is a dissident -- a "dissident whore," one party leader said -- who refused to be silenced even after spending eight months in prison in 1991.
Now, for the second time, she has been allowed to travel to Europe. But in a sense, Vietnam has traveled here with her. She is willing to talk about her life and to discuss her five novels, including her latest, "No Man's Land," published in the United States in April. But her priority is to denounce the Hanoi government as irremediably corrupt and abusive.

"It is my mission to do so on behalf of those who have died under this shameful regime," she said, speaking fluent but heavily accented French. "Because I have a small reputation abroad, I have to say these things. I have to empty what is inside me to feel my conscience is clear. The people have lost the power to react, to reflect, to think. Perhaps I will give people courage."

She feels her message is more urgent than ever. Thirty years after the Vietnam War, she sees the regime gaining acceptance abroad by opening up its economy to foreigners under a communism-with-capitalism strategy. She also noted with alarm that Vietnam's prime minister, Phan Van Khai, was received by President Bush at the White House last month.

"It is a brutal and ignoble regime that does lots of things to fool foreigners," she said during a long conversation. "If Bush supports this regime, it will be engaging in another war that will drive the people into the mud. This time, instead of using B-52 bombers, it will be using the hands of native turncoats."
Until now, she went on, the Vietnam War served to justify the government's grip on power.
"All its propaganda is designed to feed the myth of the war, to flatter and threaten the people," she said. "It tells them: 'You are a heroic people. You should be proud of your history. But never forget that it was the party that led the people to victory.' It deceives the people with blind pride."

Ms. Huong's life, too, was inevitably shaped by the war.
As a child, she said, she was refused a good education because she belonged to neither the peasantry nor the proletariat class: her grandmother was a landowner who in the mid-1950's moved to South Vietnam. But, at 16, Duong Thu Huong (pronounced zung tu hung) was allowed to join a nomadic theater troupe and, showing talent, was then sent to a college training actors, dancers and singers for popular entertainment.

There she again did well and in 1968 was offered the chance to study in the Soviet Union, East Germany or Bulgaria. "But I chose to go to the front because our country was at war and my ancestors have always fought for our country," she said. "I joined a group of young artists performing for the troops and victims of the war. The slogan was: 'Our songs are louder than the bombing.' We would silence the screams with songs."

But even then, she recalled, she noticed that party members enjoyed special privileges. A bigger shock followed when South Vietnamese prisoners arrived in her zone. "I discovered the truth that we were also fighting Vietnamese," she said. "Yes, we were being bombed all the time by the Americans, but they were high in the sky and I never saw them. I only saw Vietnamese."

She kept her thoughts to herself, as she did after the war when she met up with relatives in Ho Chi Minh City (as Saigon was renamed) and realized that the defeated were better off than the victors. By then, she was organizing artistic events in the city of Hue. When she was 30, she returned to Hanoi to work in the government's movie industry. "I wrote five screenplays which were made into bad films," she said, "but I couldn't live off my salary."

One freelance job proved to be another eye-opener. Working for a group of army generals, she ghost wrote a history of the Vietnam War. "The generals would discuss among themselves how to correct my text to suit their interests," she said. "They wanted to increase the number of Vietnamese who died to show that no sacrifice was too great for the people."

Ms. Huong said she was invited to join the Communist Party in 1979 and did so reluctantly in 1985 at the urging of friends who hoped she could help them. That was also the year that her first novel, "Beyond Illusions," was published in Vietnam to popular acclaim, selling 100,000 copies. But two years later, she said, with the publication of "Paradise of the Blind," another best seller, her problems began.

"The party's general secretary, Nguyen Van Linh, offered me a house of the kind reserved for ministers if I would remain silent," she said. "I told him, 'I fight for democracy, I place myself on the side of the people and would never agree to be like a minister.' My principle is that you can lose everything, even your life, but never your honor."

Soon afterward, she said, she evaded two assassination plots. She wrote a speech for the 1989 Congress of Vietnamese Writers called "The Party Should Thank the People" and was duly drummed out of the party. In 1991 she was jailed for selling secret documents to foreigners, the "secrets" being her manuscripts. Unsurprisingly, her next three books -- "Novel Without a Name," "Memories of a Pure Spring" and "No Man's Land" -- have not been published in Vietnam.

But all her novels have been published in several foreign languages. And thanks to Will Schwalbe, then at William Morrow and now editor in chief at Hyperion, they have also appeared in English. "I first heard about her when she was in prison," Mr. Schwalbe said in a telephone interview from New York. "I read 30 or 40 pages of 'Paradise of the Blind' and was blown away. It was the first Vietnamese novel ever published in the United States in translation."

Ms. Huong's novels are not openly political, but their leitmotif is the disillusionment of people trapped by a fate beyond their control. Reviewing "Memories of a Pure Spring" in The New York Times in 2000, Richard Bernstein wrote: "One reads it certainly for its politics, but even more for the depth and complexity of its characters who strive to define themselves in a world that still puts everything and everybody in one or another category of ideology and national aspiration."
In 1994, through the intervention of Danielle Mitterrand, France's first lady at that time, Ms. Huong was allowed to come to France to receive an award. She was offered political asylum. "I said, 'Thank you, but in my country fear crushes everything, brave soldiers have become cowardly civilians,"' she recalled. "'That's why I have to return. I return to do one thing: to spit in the face of the regime."'

This time, the Italian Embassy in Vietnam obtained her passport, but after a few weeks in Italy and France, she again intends to return to Hanoi, where her two children and four grandchildren live. (Ms. Huong was divorced in 1982.) And once there, if the government has no other plans, she says she will continue writing. "I am an idealist," she said, before adding with a mischievous smile, "and an imbecile, too."

A version of this article appears in print on July 11, 2005, Section E, Page 1 of the National edition with the headline: Vietnamese Writer Won't Be Silenced. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/10/20/books/new-paperbacks-mukherjee.html

Last edited:

hayden

I've only read one novel by Dương Thu Hương (Paradise of The Blind), but I have nothing but praise for it. Hoping to get around to at least two of these this year—

Novel Without A Name
No Man's Land
Memories of A Pure Spring

I think it's excellent we've selected her as a finalist. Looking forward to a deeper dive.

nagisa

Spiky member
I'm very glad she's on the shortlist, and I'm really looking forward to what people will think of her works.

Reposting from the general thread, if useful:

Does Duong Thu Huong have a work in English that could be considered representative?
I would go for Paradise of the Blind, or if you're up to the doorstopper challenge, The Zenith. (Novel Without a Name is also highly regarded)

From the blurbs: Paradise of the Blind is 'a devastating portrait of three women fighting to maintain their dignity in a society that expects ever greater sacrifices from them. [...] a rich, sensuous journey through a Vietnam never seen before. In images of astonishing grace and power, and through her unforgettable gallery of women, Duong Thu Huong dazzles the reader with her ability to evoke the colors, the foods, the smells, and the age-old rituals of her country.
At the center of the novel is Hang, a young woman forced to grow up too fast in the slums of Hanoi and the turbulence of modern Vietnam. Duong Thu Huong brilliantly captures Hang's rebellion against her mother and the loneliness of her search for self. There is Hang's mother, who watches, powerless, as her life is shattered by a fanatical political campaign led by her own brother. And there is the mysterious Aunt Tam, who has accumulated wealth and bitterness in equal parts and seeks to pass on both to her niece, Hang.
The intoxicating beauty of the Vietnamese countryside, the hunger, the pride, the endurance of ordinary Vietnamese people confronted with the hypocrisy and corruption that surround them - all are here in this moving and lyrical novel."

And "The Zenith imagines the final months in the life of Ho Chi Minh—president of North Vietnam from 1945 until his death in 1969—at an isolated mountain compound where he is imprisoned both physically and emotionally.
Complex, daring, and elegiac, Duong Thu Huong's novel weaves Ho Chi Minh's story together with narratives of members of his inner circle and a village elder, illuminating the personal costs of political struggle, the addictive quality of power and influence, and how a tragedy can threaten to engulf not just one individual but an entire nation. Most radically, it is a multidimensional portrait of Ho Chi Minh himself; a man who is often painted as a saint, martyr, or puppet, but whom Huong portrays as a real person whose life encapsulated humanity's capacity for vision, greed, pain, love, and fallibility.
An epic masterpiece that is both a gripping political thriller and a haunting excavation of the human heart, The Zenith is an unforgettable novel that leaves readers unsettled, transformed, and closer to life's fundamental mysteries."

I also know that Beyond Illusions, her second book, really launched her career and was very widely popular and sold, but I've not read it yet.

Anyone reading French (where she is more translated than in English) can also check out her recent doorstopper diptych Sanctuaire du cœur and Les collines d'eucalyptus. Stemming from her real life experience of having a 16 year-old nephew of her cousin run away, she imagines two versions of the story of what could have pushed an adolescent to do so and what becomes of him, with as backdrops a rapidly changing Vietnam.

juanje94

Today I have received all the books that I have purchased from our WLF nominees for this coming year. I share a photo of Duong Thu Huong's books (all translated into Spanish):

Duong Thu Huong.jpeg

English titles (in order of appearance of the photo from left to right):
No Man's Land
Memories of a Pure Spring
Paradise of the Blind
Novel Without a Name

When I finish to read one of them I will publish here my impressions.

Regards,
Juanje

lucasdiniz

Reader
Novel without a name was one of the most depressing things I've read in my life. That's a compliment, by the way. I bought Paradise of the blind some time ago but never got around to reading it.
I remember watching an interview where she talked about hunger and having to eat whatever she found during wartime and she had tears in her eyes. I could feel her pain. And I think she's really good at conveying her pain into art.

Elie

Reader
I just finished reading Novel Without A Name and liked it a lot. I thought she did an excellent job of describing the horrors of the Vietnam War without ever descending into gratuitousness as many writers do in an attempt to shock. We see it all through the eyes of an ordinary soldier, who is a flawed but basically good person, and a believable protagonist. My only complaint - and this could be a reflection on me as a reader rather than the book - is that towards the end I found that the plot lost its way a bit and I struggled to work out what was in the past and what was in the present. Her descriptive prose is great and I love the way she pulls out little details to really bring a scene to life.

Paradise of the Blind up next!

tiganeasca

Which reminds me that I should probably cross-post this review in this thread as well.

Duong Thu Huong, Novel Without A Name ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Quan, who enlists to fight for his country as an idealistic 18-year-old, has now fought for North Vietnam for a decade. Those ten years have taught him, if nothing else, the costs of idealism. Even as he tries to balance his patriotism with his cynicism, Quan turns to old memories for solace. Given the chance to return home, he seizes on the chance to make the physically and psychologically demanding journey. That journey forces him to confront his past, among other things: his father, his childhood sweetheart, his boyhood friends now maimed or dead, and ultimately to recognize that his innocence and his idealism came at an enormous price. How should he handle his disillusionment with the Communist Party? A quiet, emotionally charged book, this often reads like the stories of an old man looking back on his life. That it is, instead, the reflections of a 28-year-old veteran, told mostly through a series of vignettes, illustrates the power of the book. Indeed, the collection of loosely connected “stories” really can be seen as almost a mythic quest by a hero toward (self-)knowledge.

Elie

Reader
I liked Paradise of the Blind a lot as well. It was a pretty tough read just because of the relentless doom and gloom of it all, but again I loved the details of every day life she uses to bring the story to life. I'm gonna be keen to see what else is available of hers in English.