WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

juanje94

Today I have received all the books that I have purchased from our WLF nominees for this coming year. I share a photo of Lyudmila Ulitskaya's books (all translated into Spanish):

Liudmila Ulitskaya.jpeg

English titles (in order of appearance of the photo from left to right):
The Big Green Tent
Sonechka
Women's Lies

When I finish to read one of them I will publish here my impressions ;)

Regards,
Juanje

Phil D

Lyudmila Ulitskaya - Sóniechka (trans. Marta Rebón Rodríguez)

First time reading Ulitskaya. It took me a while to get a feel for this novella – for a while it just felt like "stuff happening", without any real development.
By the end, though, I was more able to appreciate it as a whole, and I feel like the story of Sonia will stay with me. She's a kind of anti-Madame Bovary, and I'm glad to have met her.

Leseratte

Lyudmila Ulitskaya - Sóniechka (trans. Marta Rebón Rodríguez)

First time reading Ulitskaya. It took me a while to get a feel for this novella – for a while it just felt like "stuff happening", without any real development.
By the end, though, I was more able to appreciate it as a whole, and I feel like the story of Sonia will stay with me. She's a kind of anti-Madame Bovary, and I'm glad to have met her.
Just reading Medea. It also took me a time to warm up (read about one third) but I´m liking it so far.

Leseratte

Today I have received all the books that I have purchased from our WLF nominees for this coming year. I share a photo of Lyudmila Ulitskaya's books (all translated into Spanish):

View attachment 2330

English titles (in order of appearance of the photo from left to right):
The Big Green Tent
Sonechka
Women's Lies

When I finish to read one of them I will publish here my impressions ;)

Regards,
Juanje
Beautiful covers!

Leseratte

??Medea and Her Children-The difficulty of writing about this novel is that every word about it is a spoiler. So I'll rather rather suggest what the novel isn´t. It is not a experimental novel, it is not panfletary and, most of all, it is most probably not what the reader is expecting unless he/she has read the editor´s blurb.

There is little plot in the beginning. In fact it´s composition seems to be the same as the one of The Big Green Tent in the description of The Common Reader (#8): "It moves from one individual to another and also lurches back and forth in time in a way that seems haphazard, indeed perverse, but that later begins to make sense." The story takes it´s time to build up. At the end I asked myself if there wasn´t too much plot for that story?

But like Dostoevsky, Lyudmila Ulitskaya makes one remember something, History tends to make one forget: how much generosity there can be in a Russian heart.