WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

juanje94

Today I have received all the books that I have purchased from our WLF nominees for this coming year. I share a photo of Lyudmila Ulitskaya's books (all translated into Spanish):

Liudmila Ulitskaya.jpeg

English titles (in order of appearance of the photo from left to right):
The Big Green Tent
Sonechka
Women's Lies

When I finish to read one of them I will publish here my impressions ;)

Regards,
Juanje

Phil D

Lyudmila Ulitskaya - Sóniechka (trans. Marta Rebón Rodríguez)

First time reading Ulitskaya. It took me a while to get a feel for this novella – for a while it just felt like "stuff happening", without any real development.
By the end, though, I was more able to appreciate it as a whole, and I feel like the story of Sonia will stay with me. She's a kind of anti-Madame Bovary, and I'm glad to have met her.

Leseratte

Lyudmila Ulitskaya - Sóniechka (trans. Marta Rebón Rodríguez)

First time reading Ulitskaya. It took me a while to get a feel for this novella – for a while it just felt like "stuff happening", without any real development.
By the end, though, I was more able to appreciate it as a whole, and I feel like the story of Sonia will stay with me. She's a kind of anti-Madame Bovary, and I'm glad to have met her.
Just reading Medea. It also took me a time to warm up (read about one third) but I´m liking it so far.

Leseratte

Today I have received all the books that I have purchased from our WLF nominees for this coming year. I share a photo of Lyudmila Ulitskaya's books (all translated into Spanish):

View attachment 2330

English titles (in order of appearance of the photo from left to right):
The Big Green Tent
Sonechka
Women's Lies

When I finish to read one of them I will publish here my impressions ;)

Regards,
Juanje
Beautiful covers!

Leseratte

??Medea and Her Children-The difficulty of writing about this novel is that every word about it is a spoiler. So I'll rather rather suggest what the novel isn´t. It is not a experimental novel, it is not panfletary and, most of all, it is most probably not what the reader is expecting unless he/she has read the editor´s blurb.

There is little plot in the beginning. In fact it´s composition seems to be the same as the one of The Big Green Tent in the description of The Common Reader (#8): "It moves from one individual to another and also lurches back and forth in time in a way that seems haphazard, indeed perverse, but that later begins to make sense." The story takes it´s time to build up. At the end I asked myself if there wasn´t too much plot for that story?

But like Dostoevsky, Lyudmila Ulitskaya makes one remember something, History tends to make one forget: how much generosity there can be in a Russian heart.

tiganeasca

Seeking a little guidance or advice for my next book by her. I recently finished a couple more of her stories and, just now, The Big Green Tent. After a less-than-happy experience with Sonechka, things have turned around quite significantly. So I need to find something else of hers to read. Would anyone care to offer some suggestions? (please)

Leseratte

Seeking a little guidance or advice for my next book by her. I recently finished a couple more of her stories and, just now, The Big Green Tent. After a less-than-happy experience with Sonechka, things have turned around quite significantly. So I need to find something else of hers to read. Would anyone care to offer some suggestions? (please)
Tiga, up to now I read only Medea and her Children but I recommend it warmly. It is considered her best novel. I loved it for the humanity with which she depicts her characters,

Bartleby

Tiga, up to now I read only Medea and her Children but I recommend it warmly. It is considered her best novel. I loved it for the humanity with which she depicts her characters,
I kinda started this one (ok, I've only read the first half a dozen pages), and it was a sequence of informational bits one after the other about the main character and those around her, without much characterisation, imagery, or plot, so the result, for me, was numbing, and I gave up, for the time being...

Could you, or anyone else, tell us if the story picks up the pace after a (hopefully short) while?

The Common Reader

I would recommend her novel, The Kukotsky Enigma.

wordeater

Ulitskaya is my favorite Russian novelist of the past half century. She's a Jewish biologist who grew up in the Soviet Union. Politics, religion, art and science are central themes in her work. Two of her novels stand out to me.

• The Kukotsky Enigma (2001): The first part of this novel follows a gynaecologist who advocates the legalization of abortion in the 1950s. The second part is one long hallucination of his bedridden wife. The third part jumps to their rebellious daughter.
  • The Big Green Tent (2010) : The death of Stalin in 1953 is the starting point of this novel. It describes the daily life of people in the Krushchev era, with a focus on artists and scientists. They got into trouble for possessing samizdat literature - the banned books in the USSR.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Ulitskaya is my favorite Russian novelist of the past half century. She's a Jewish biologist who grew up in the Soviet Union. Politics, religion, art and science are central themes in her work. Two of her novels stand out to me.

• The Kukotsky Enigma (2001): The first part of this novel follows a gynaecologist who advocates the legalization of abortion in the 1950s. The second part is one long hallucination of his bedridden wife. The third part jumps to their rebellious daughter.
  • The Big Green Tent (2010) : The death of Stalin in 1953 is the starting point of this novel. It describes the daily life of people in the Krushchev era, with a focus on artists and scientists. They got into trouble for possessing samizdat literature - the banned books in the USSR.

I love both books of Ulitskaya, but Big Green Tent's actually my favourite I have read from her thus far. I loved the scope of her three novels I have read (the two mentioned and Daniel Stein, Interpreter), her broad outlook. Her writings seems to trace the modern history of not just Russia but Eastern Europe at large. Big Green Tent covers nearly 60 years of Russian history, ending with the death of Joseph Brodsky. Such an accomplished work.

Leseratte

I kinda started this one (ok, I've only read the first half a dozen pages), and it was a sequence of informational bits one after the other about the main character and those around her, without much characterisation, imagery, or plot, so the result, for me, was numbing, and I gave up, for the time being...

Could you, or anyone else, tell us if the story picks up the pace after a (hopefully short) while?
Well, it is a family story. It is as if Medea opens the gate of her house to invite the reader to participate in the stories of the people that gather in that house. And yes, the greater part of the novel is slow paced. When the story finally developed a plot that is more incisive than the other family stories I had the feeling that it was a bit exaggerated.
The book won me because of its humanity and its poetic passages.

tiganeasca

I like to spend time—usually at least a few weeks, sometimes more—before I write up my little reviews because it gives me time to think about what I’ve read and also to ponder what I think about it. Waiting also gives me a chance to read what others say about the book and about the author. The downside is that I take notes and, on occasion, mislay them. So it is with Ulitskaya’s Big Green Tent. I read a lot about both the author and the book from all over the internet and then, just this morning, rediscovered some of my notes. Because I think what I found is particularly worthwhile (and because I forgot about these reviews when writing my own), I want to post them here for others.

The first quotation is by Ruth Wallach, a professor at the University of Southern California. She reviewed a collection of Ultiskaya’s stories in 1999 in the “Slavic and East European Journal” and said several things that I think are not only very perceptive but also helped me understand the author better:

“Her works are complex, often weaving several human stories…and layering historic events into the lives of gray, little people who lead a banal existence. As Ulitskaya explained…she is not interested in homo sovieticus, but in the outsiders in Soviet society…. Since Ulitskaya was born in Bashkiria, she brings to her stories a sensibility from the periphery, where the non-Russian and the Russian had to coexist.​
Ulitskaya's characters are sympathetic, be they religious, Jewish (lots of Jews in her stories), children, old; most of them are women. Like many of her contemporaries, Ulitskaya writes about the human body, about the senseless but historically rooted violence of Soviet society, about acts of intimacy which the fragile psyches populating her novels manage to transcend…. While the characters in all these stories occasionally inspire our pity, they manage to construct, and perhaps even control, their lives despite the odds.”​

Then, in a review of Jacob’s Ladder in the New York Times, Randy Rosenthal made this really acute observation: "[the book] dramatizes this Russian concept of sudba, the understanding of fate as a kind of prison we can never escape. But at a subtler level, it’s about the essence of life itself, particularly the essence of our ancestors that’s manifested through us.”

Last edited: