World Literature

vijayraj

Hi guys

A bit of an urgent request:

I'm looking for novels/ short stories involving a forbidden love story of (preferably) the working class. Maybe one where the main characters are separated in spite of having a deep love for each other... But this part is not necessary.

Any suggestions?

Big thanks.

Stevie B

Current Member
Hi guys

A bit of an urgent request:

I'm looking for novels/ short stories involving a forbidden love story of (preferably) the working class. Maybe one where the main characters are separated in spite of having a deep love for each other... But this part is not necessary.

Any suggestions?

Big thanks.
Too Late the Phalarope by Alan Paton deals with miscegeneration laws and an apartheid era relationship between a black South African woman and a white police officer. I read this book many years ago and preferred it to Paton's better known novel Cry the Beloved Country.

Last edited:

BasmaB

I would recommend The Great Gatsby. Whilst close to all the book is focused on the upper, it follows a love that was forbidden because one of the characters was of the working class and society threw disdain to the rich who married the poor.

If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps A Thousand Splendid Suns. It follows an abusive man who is violent towards his wives, one of which was in love with another man prior to their marriage but had left to flee the war in Afghanistan.

Liam

Administrator
This is coming WAY too late (as it's been over a year!) but Jack London's Martin Eden (1909) fits the bill perfectly!

tiganeasca

Liam, why would you say that? Just because he posted on 7/22/20, visited one more time on 7/23, and never came back ever again? Surely he's seriously interested in our board...he's undoubtedly just waiting until something interests him again. I'm sure he's been busy writing his paper and simply hasn't had a chance to visit again and contribute! ;)