Your favourite painting

Liam

Administrator
purgatory_2.jpg

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Liam, at the risk of sounding ignorant, which painting is that? It looks very familiar, it feels like a pastiche of several paintings by Bruegel and Bosch, like this one (The Triumph of Death):
bruegel-triumph-of-death-supersize.jpg

Hamlet

Reader
View attachment 486

View attachment 488

View attachment 487

Expand to enjoy. JMW Turner is fast becoming my favourite artist of all time. It's taken a while, but having watched a few documentaries recently, both on his life and work I'm amazed at his renderings of nature, but also the less well known "industrial paintings" that originally flowed from his initial interests and inspiration.

Last edited:

maxmilian

I know this is an obvious one, but my favorite painting is definitely Starry Night by Van Gogh. A lot of people dont know it, but there is actually more to the painting than just a cool looking landscape. Van Gogh was religious, and there is hidden meaning to Starry Night that is actually pretty cool. I grew up religious so for me its pretty interesting.

M

maidenhair

'The Ministry’ (2006), by Peter Milton
4031bcfb-fb02-478e-a4e1-879d060a0407.img

as it can be seen right now in the exhibition "Jumping for Joyce", Francis Kyle Gallery, London.

In 1922, after a Stravinsky soirée, Proust and Joyce shared a taxi – their only meeting. Joyce was half-blind and Proust couldn’t breathe; when the Irish writer opened the window to smoke, the Frenchman thought he was trying to kill him. Joyce, who had just published Ulysses , complained that Proust talked only of duchesses whereas he preferred chambermaids. All this and much more – Man Ray photographing both writers; Duchamp experimenting with his “Large Glass”; a girl, maybe Joyce’s/Homer’s Nausicaa, watching herself being watched in a mirror; the impenetrable façade of a looming building resonant of Kafka, who began The Castle in 1922 – is condensed in Peter Milton’s giant etching “The Ministry”. Playing with layers, transparencies, reflections, fragments, collapsed narratives, mythological figures, in a stunningly textured print which yields vista after vista, abundant detail within a perfectly considered composition, Milton gives visual form to our continuing vexed, intoxicated relationship with the modernist moment.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/de3efd74-df4d-11e2-a9f4-00144feab7de.html#axzz2Z72Jkggv

Check him out at http://www.petermilton.com/ he is marvelous
Hidden Cities II: Embarkation for Cythera, 2004
cat126_600w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

learna

Reader
Amazing watercolour by Joseph Zbukvic:

http://ru.forwallpaper.com/wallpaper/watercolor-joseph-zbukvic-city-venice-italy-morning-boat-119258.html

I guess I don’t have a favourite painting, but (although it may sound a bit odd or dull) I do love the work of Andy Warhol and Claude Monet ;) But there is one painting I guess, I still love the most… it is big painting with a big green frog on it my auntie made for me when I was 10 or so… a few months later she died because of breast cancer :/ but thanks to her painting, I will never forget the beautiful time we had together!