WLF Prize in Literature 2022

errequatro

Reader
Thank you so much my friends for your beautiful deliberations and insightful views and observations to the shortlisted writers.

I have already come up with a citation for Murnane.

Gerald Murnane "for writings of memory which, through verisimilitude of abstractions, elevates scope of narrative."

And nice picture of Murnane you guys posted. And like Bartleby ( I will refer him as the Chairman) said, see you guys next year.

When will members send their nominations for next year? I think if each member nominates five writers, four from literary sphere, (that's fiction, poetry, drama), and one from non-fiction (biographers, literary critic, nature/travel writers, historians, philosophers, diarists/memoirists), it would seem fair as every form of writing is represented. What do you guys think?
I would like to stick to same rules. 3 nominations. The genre is irrelevant. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to reach a consensus

Leseratte

Like @namelesshere, I also prefer the choice of the Wolfie award after the Noble, as it was last year. Its a way of continuing a bit with award activities.
Enjoyed the very typical picture you choose, @Bartleby . Now we must prepare his Wolfie certificate! Where is that cute certificate of last year?
And warm thanks for organizing this, @Bartleby !!

redhead

Blahblahblah
Nice to see Murnane win--I've had a feeling ever since our list was finalized that he'd be the winner.

I think we normally start the process at some point in October after the award. My personal preference would be to stick to the same rules as in previous years, albeit explicit allowance to vote for writers who you haven't necessarily read.

That being said, I get that it's a good idea to try and ensure the final shortlist doesn't necessarily cover just novelists. What the best way of doing that is, I don't know. Mandating that one nomination of the usual 3 is not a novelist? Probably needs a larger discussion on the 2023 dedicated thread.

However, lovely to see Murnane win - Marias is my darling, but I can't complain about Murnane trouncing him here at all - he's excellent.

I think it might get too confusing if we mandate that at least one of the shortlisted writers isn't a novelist. However, the first year we had four writers, and I wonder if we might want to do that again? I liked having the additional person, and that would make it more likely to have a non-novelist on the list.

Leemo

Many thanks for running this Bartleby, like last year it was great fun! And thanks to the voters for selecting 3 excellent candidates to choose from.

hayden

Well, I'll eat my words. Outcome was my exact choice :D

Obviously, no complaints. I think it's a great selection and a great outcome.

I'll whip up a similar bit of artwork for Murnane that I made for Krasznahorkai last year.

And thanks Bartleby, couldn't have been run smoother.

Bartleby

Like @namelesshere, I also prefer the choice of the Wolfie award after the Noble, as it was last year. Its a way of continuing a bit with award activities.
Enjoyed the very typical picture you choose, @Bartleby . Now we must prepare his Wolfie certificate! Where is that cute certificate of last year?
And warm thanks for organizing this, @Bartleby !!
Yes, I believe we should decide on next year's activities a bit after the Nobel announcement. Not only it will occupy our attention greatly for the next week, but imagine if we nominated this year's laureate? hehe
Loving your ideas guys, keep them in mind so we can later discuss any changes for the 2023 award :)

Stevie B

Current Member
Yes, I believe we should decide on next year's activities a bit after the Nobel announcement. Not only it will occupy our attention greatly for the next week, but imagine if we nominated this year's laureate? hehe
Loving your ideas guys, keep them in mind so we can later discuss any changes for the 2023 award :)
Thanks for your efforts and for another great job with this, Bartleby. You've certainly earned your paycheck. By the way, Liam has been paying you, hasn't he?

Bartleby

Personally, I will be nominating female writers only for the next one. It might be a good idea to balance things out.
the first year my three nominations were women, but that was accidental. I just thought Ernaux, Carson, and Can Xue were interesting writers to discuss and were potential Nobel candidates. I don't remember who I nominated this year LOL but I remember, I think, it was a predominantly male selection...
I think Lobo Antunes was in there... I really can't remember the three ?