WLF Prize in Literature 2022

kpjayan

Reader
It slipped my mind. Here we go.

I've read 2 books by each writer and here is my premature/current ranking.

1. Gerald Murnane - He stands out of the rest by far. His intellect, style, language and approach. Very personal/autobiographical feel to his writing. You are in awe, of his writing.

2. Javier Marias - Infatuations and All souls were good. I wanted to complete In your face tomorrow trilogy before deciding. I have a feeling that I haven't read the best of him.

3. Fleur Jaeggy - Discussed earlier. She has a very unique voice. Very detached way of writing, as an observer. Beautiful prose. Difficult choices to make between 3 writers.

Leseratte

Didn´t read as much of each as I wanted to but here is my ranking. My great difficulty was choosing between Murnane and Jaeggy.

1- Gerald Murnane- (Landscape with Landscape (1985); part of The Plains (1982); currently reading A Lifetime on Clouds(1976)).I think, he is certainly the most original and innovative of the three writers. Murnane has the talent of converting his personal obsessions into high literature. The one that is most apparent is the deep interest in landscapes of a writer, that paradoxically never cared about travelling, specially not outside Australia. More than real landscapes, his ones, even when based on minutely represented scenarios of his homeland are the territories and metaterritories of his imagination. Other obsessions I noted sex, booze, the confrontation with the act of writing itself.

Having read Landscape with Landscape, which seems to contain his major themes, my relationship with his writings was rather cerebral until I lit on A Lifetime on Clouds. It's his second book, a coming to age novel, which centers around a youthful sex maniac. The theme is developed with so much empathy and humor, that Adrian Sherd easily qualifies for the most cutest and innocent sex maniac ever. And one must remember that the book was written in the seventies, the years of the sexual revolution, so it´s straightforwardness at the time would be more unusual than today. It sheds also a light on the whole of Murnane´s writings. Failing as an writer must for him been equivalent to failing as a man, which explain much of the despair that permeates his fiction (greetings from uncle Freud).

2- Fleur Jaeggy ( Sweet Days of Discipline (1989); S. S. Proleterka (2001); some of the stories of I Am the Brother of XX (2014).
Fleur Jaeggy has a unique voice and a particular sensibility for presenting the loneliness and the voids of human relationships. Her protagonists, who never seem in want of money or material goods, seem to be steeped in a cold atmosphere, where their hunger for love and an own identity is never satisfied. This is still intensified as the author in several stories uses freely the vocabulary and the metaphors of dead and decay common to the German Expressionism, to illustrate the situation and the environment of her entombed characters.

In spite of interesting and moving with the general sadness that pervades it, I found her oeuvre somewhat uneven and repetitive (and I have read only part of it). SS Proleterka might have been a sequel to, or a chapter of Sweet Days of Discipline. And the author seems to achieve more profundity when she uses first person narrator.

3-Xavier Marias- Thus Bad Begins (2014). Didn´t click with him. My impressions are based on only one book. While recognizing his importance as an post war author who didn´t allow that the atrocities of the Spanish civilian war and the Franco period would be forgotten, the Spain conjured in Thus Bad Begins seems to my mind rather obsolete for an 2014 novel. On the other hand one can´t forget how intensely post war Spain resisted the modern trends, specially those coming from America. The portrayal of the social groups is also rather superficial and sexist.

Liam

Administrator
The portrayal of the social groups is also rather superficial and sexist.
The question I have is, how much of that perceived sexism is the narrator's, and how much (if at all) is it the author's? ?

Also, you have a quote from Murnane's Tamarisk Row in your signature, did you read that one, too?

tiganeasca

Just so no one think I'm ignoring this, I will not be voting. Why not? Very simple reason: try as I might, I simply could not finish a single book by Murnane and I tried three of them. And even put them down and returned later. I'd get in a few chapters and just bog down. In addition, I believe that--sad as it may be--we shouldn't be considering Marias. I have read several books by both Jaeggy and Marias and would rate Jaeggy higher, but under the circumstances, I am afraid that it simply wouldn't be right for me to vote.

Leseratte

The question I have is, how much of that perceived sexism is the narrator's, and how much (if at all) is it the author's? ?

Also, you have a quote from Murnane's Tamarisk Row in your signature, did you read that one, too?
@Liam
I have read only Thus Bad Begins by Marías, but it is very certainly the narrator's and very possibly also the author's. Anyway it irritated me. Even great authors as Saramago and Logo Antunes don´t escape from it. I interrupted Saramago´s aclaimed The Year of the Dead of Ricardo Reis because Ricardo Reis was shown as having the maid for his bed and the bourgeois girl as his fiancée.

I only had a look at Tamarisk Road and I found the sentence of the signature in the preface.

Ludus

Reader
it is very certainly the narrator's and very possibly also the author's

It's most certainly the author's too. Marías wrote a number of opinion pieces in his columns about the MeToo movement and feminism that would make Torquemada proud. You just have to Google "Javier Marías misoginia" to find lots of articles (written by women) responding to his views. Just one example:

Morbid Swither

1. Fleur Jaeggy - S.S. Proleterka, Last Vanities, Sweet Days of Discipline, I am the Brother of XX, The Water Statues
  2. Javier Marias - A Heart so White, The Infatuations, Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me, Thus Bad Begins, Berta Isla
  3. Gerald Murnane - Stream System, Border Districts: A Fiction, Barley Patch

Leseratte

It's most certainly the author's too. Marías wrote a number of opinion pieces in his columns about the MeToo movement and feminism that would make Torquemada proud. You just have to Google "Javier Marías misoginia" to find lots of articles (written by women) responding to his views. Just one example:

Thanks for the article, Ludus. In fact my opinion was also based on the exchange we had about Javier Marias last year. But you have read several books by him and were therefore in a much better position to evaluate him.

Leseratte

1. Fleur Jaeggy - S.S. Proleterka, Last Vanities, Sweet Days of Discipline, I am the Brother of XX, The Water Statues
  2. Javier Marias - A Heart so White, The Infatuations, Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me, Thus Bad Begins, Berta Isla
  3. Gerald Murnane - Stream System, Border Districts: A Fiction, Barley Patch
I voted differently, but I'm loving to see Jaeggy in the first position!

Morbid Swither

I voted differently, but I'm loving to see Jaeggy in the first position!
To be fair I had read all of these prior to our selection of these three for our little prize, with the exception of The Water Statues, but I read the others all again in ‘22 (I am the Brother of XX twice); honestly I’m obsessed!

There are many works by Gerald Murnane left to discover, though in my corner of the world, it’s not been easy to come by them! I do intend to try.

Three EXCEPTIONAL writers here.

OK, here I go.

1. Gerald Murnane. The plains and currently reading Stream System.
2. Fleur Jaeggy. I am the brother of XX, Water statues, La peur du ciel.
3. Javier Marías. Los enamoramientos.

 To be honest, my deliberation was only about Jaeggy and Murnane. When I tried to read Marías I found exactly what I hate most in a novel (a boring, superfluous narration mixed with rancid lucubrations and a pinch of misogyny), so I barely ended the reading and have no plans to try again.

On the other hand, I found an new obsession in the endless sentences of Gerald Murnane. The Plains were a syntactic adventure that I enjoyed in company of my comrade Ludus, and we were fascinated with every single point, not only because of the linguistic complexity of the novel, but also because of the delicious contemplative work, which has some Borgesian overtones. Before reading The plains I thought that Murnane was going uphill, because Jaeggy is one of my favourite prose writer, but after The plains she is the one who is loosing the race, and the gap is getting larger as long as I read Stream System. Between the reading of Murnane, I tried to level the balance by reading Water statues, but I were disconcerted by that strange experiment between novel and dramatic text. So I decided to put Jaeggy in a very honorfull second place.

Leseratte

OK, here I go.

 To be honest, my deliberation was only about Jaeggy and Murnane. When I tried to read Marías I found exactly what I hate most in a novel (a boring, superfluous narration mixed with rancid lucubrations and a pinch of misogyny), so I barely ended the reading and have no plans to try again.

On the other hand, I found an new obsession in the endless sentences of Gerald Murnane. The Plains were a syntactic adventure that I enjoyed in company of my comrade Ludus, and we were fascinated with every single point, not only because of the linguistic complexity of the novel, but also because of the delicious contemplative work, which has some Borgesian overtones. Before reading The plains I thought that Murnane was going uphill, because Jaeggy is one of my favourite prose writer, but after The plains she is the one who is loosing the race, and the gap is getting larger as long as I read Stream System. Between the reading of Murn ane, I tried to level the balance by reading Water statues, but I were disconcerted by that strange experiment between novel and dramatic text. So I decided to put Jaeggy in a very honorfull second place.
Welcome @The Crab Lord. A notable entrance with homework completely done!

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

OK, here I go.

On the other hand, I found an new obsession in the endless sentences of Gerald Murnane. The Plains were a syntactic adventure that I enjoyed in company of my comrade Ludus, and we were fascinated with every single point, not only because of the linguistic complexity of the novel, but also because of the delicious contemplative work, which has some Borgesian overtones. Before reading The plains I thought that Murnane was going uphill, because Jaeggy is one of my favourite prose writer, but after The plains she is the one who is loosing the race, and the gap is getting larger as long as I read Stream System. Between the reading of Murnane, I tried to level the balance by reading Water statues, but I were disconcerted by that strange experiment between novel and dramatic text. So I decided to put Jaeggy in a very honorfull second place.

Welcome to the forum, my friend. And I love your observations on the shortlisted writers.

I know the deadline for the prize is today, but when will it be announced? Later today, probably in the evening, or is it tomorrow?

Leseratte

Welcome to the forum, my friend. And I love your observations on the shortlisted writers.

I know the deadline for the prize is today, but when will it be announced? Later today, probably in the evening, or is it tomorrow?
I think Bartleby will write something to that effect later on.

Bartleby

So here we go...

We had 14 votes this year, and they were from:

1) Gerald Murnane
2) Fleur Jaeggy
3) Javier Marias
1 - Javier Marias
2 - Gerald Murnane
3 - Fleur Jaeggy
1) Javier Marías
2) Fleur Jaeggy
3) Gerald Murnane
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Javier Marías
3. Fleur Jaeggy
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Javier Marias
3. Fleur Jaeggy
1) Gerald Murnane
2) Javier Marias
3) Fleur Jaeggy
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Fleur Jaeggy
3. Javier Marías
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Fleur Jaeggy
3. Javier Marias
1. Fleur Jaeggy
2. Gerald Murnane
3. Javier Marias
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Fleur Jaeggy
3. Javier Marias
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Javier Marias
3. Fleur Jaeggy
1- Gerald Murnane
2- Fleur Jaeggy
3- Javier Marias
1. Fleur Jaeggy
2. Javier Marias
3. Gerald Murnane
1. Gerald Murnane
2. Fleur Jaeggy
3. Javier Marías

Applying the same rule as last year's, where each voter's first pick got 3 points, the second 2, and the third 1, here are the results:

Gerald Murnane (total= 36 pts)
1st 10 - 30pts
2nd 2 - 4pts
3rd 2 - 2pts

Fleur Jaeggy (total= 25 pts)
1st - 2 - 6pts
2nd - 7 - 14pts
3rd - 5 - 5pts

Javier Marías (total= 23 pts)
1st - 2 - 6pts
2nd - 5 - 10pts
3rd - 7 - 7pts

Therefore, the winner of the 2022 WLF Prize in Literature, and the one who takes his Wolfie home is clearly...

Gerald Murnane

b08911c85c03e219899e688e249fc0d43fb3378a.jpeg

Congratulations to the author! And thank you very much everyone who participated in these readings, the selection process, the general discussions, or anyone really just rooting for this project to work!

Let's now celebrate Murnane by writing him thoughtful citation, what do you think?

See you again next year!

Ben Jackson

Thank you so much my friends for your beautiful deliberations and insightful views and observations to the shortlisted writers.

I have already come up with a citation for Murnane.

Gerald Murnane "for writings of memory which, through verisimilitude of abstractions, elevates scope of narrative."

And nice picture of Murnane you guys posted. And like Bartleby ( I will refer him as the Chairman) said, see you guys next year.

When will members send their nominations for next year? I think if each member nominates five writers, four from literary sphere, (that's fiction, poetry, drama), and one from non-fiction (biographers, literary critic, nature/travel writers, historians, philosophers, diarists/memoirists), it would seem fair as every form of writing is represented. What do you guys think?

Thank you so much my friends for your beautiful deliberations and insightful views and observations to the shortlisted writers.

I have already come up with a citation for Murnane.

Gerald Murnane "for writings of memory which, through verisimilitude of abstractions, elevates scope of narrative."

And nice picture of Murnane you guys posted. And like Bartleby ( I will refer him as the Chairman) said, see you guys next year.

When will members send their nominations for next year? I think if each member nominates five writers, four from literary sphere, (that's fiction, poetry, drama), and one from non-fiction (biographers, literary critic, nature/travel writers, historians, philosophers, diarists/memoirists), it would seem fair as every form of writing is represented. What do you guys think?

I think we normally start the process at some point in October after the award. My personal preference would be to stick to the same rules as in previous years, albeit explicit allowance to vote for writers who you haven't necessarily read.

That being said, I get that it's a good idea to try and ensure the final shortlist doesn't necessarily cover just novelists. What the best way of doing that is, I don't know. Mandating that one nomination of the usual 3 is not a novelist? Probably needs a larger discussion on the 2023 dedicated thread.

However, lovely to see Murnane win - Marias is my darling, but I can't complain about Murnane trouncing him here at all - he's excellent.

Last edited: