WLF Prize in Literature 2022

Bartleby

I believe it's time for us to start thinking about which writers to read and discuss next year, right?

Just refreshing our minds of the rules we were operating under last year:

1. We should nominate only living authors who haven't won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
2. Our nominations should consist of three writers, ranked.
3. The shortlist will consist of three writers*.
4. Members should have read at least one book by each shortlisted author before casting a final vote on who's the winner.
5. In order to be nominated at least one book by the writer should be readily available in English.

and from the recent comments on the 2021 thread:

6. Writers shortlisted on the previous year shouldn't be nominated again.

The nominations from the 2021 prize can be seen here.

*We had agreed on having three writers on the shortlist, but since Laszlo Krasznahorkai and Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o ended up in a tie, we eventually voted for them both to be included in our deliberations. Is three still our number?

I guess this covers all the basics; if anyone has any complaints/suggestions, please let us know. Otherwise we should start nominating (I think the 2021 method, using google forms, proved to be a good way to do this, since we couldn't be influenced by each others' nominations) :)

hayden

Sounds good.

I was actually cool with four shortlisted writers, but if we're going with three that's also fine (in lieu of another tie).

Now to go figure out who I'll nominate. I'll probably send a PM by this time next week.

Sounds good.

I was actually cool with four shortlisted writers, but if we're going with three that's also fine (in lieu of another tie).

Now to go figure out who I'll nominate. I'll probably send a PM by this time next week.

Yeh I actually quite liked four, over a year it was quite manageable though I know that may not have been the same for everyone.

I'm happy to nominate either by PM or by google forms.

Bartleby

Thanks! Since people seem to be more active on the forum on weekdays, let's wait till Monday to see if anyone else has any more opinions; then I think it's safe to start the nominations :)

Bartleby

ok, I’m sending you guys a simple google forms link so you can start nominating. This time, for the sake of control, besides the spot for naming your candidates, in a ranked manner (e.g. 1. J. K. Rowling, 2. Stephen King, 3. Lee Child), I’m requiring that you write down your usernames here on the forum (in my case, Bartleby, for example). Your nominations will be presented here anonymously. I have already filled in my answer so I’m not influenced by your picks.

I’m sending a private message to everyone who has participated last year, plus some new members who have shown interest. I apologise in advance if I’ve forgotten anyone. If you have not received a message and want to nominate, just contact me in private.

just two things:

Please remember to check the nominating rules on the first post of this thread above.

and

Feel encouraged to nominate even if you don’t intend to participate in the subsequent readings/discussions, or if you’re unsure of whether or not you’ll be able to join in.

The deadline for submitting your nominations is next Friday, 15 October.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I imagine we'll end up with something rather similar this year. I'm not sure the design of our process would ever result in many poets or obscurer novelist ending up on our list... By definition I think they'll be ones a number of us have already come across and read, which probably doesn't favour the less well known/read.

If we are so inclined we could perhaps try and tip the scales ever so slightly in favour of the more obscure by saying that one name of the 3 we nominate should be a person who we haven't personally read but are aware of with a good reputation (muddy, I know).

In a shameless attempt to tip the scales, I’ve noticed the names Fleur Jaeggy and Duong Thu Huong have come up repeatedly here. However, I’m not sure how many of us have read much by them. The little I’ve read of and about them has made me curious to read their work in more depth, and I’m planning on nominating them both (and encourage anyone else interested to also nominate them!)

Leseratte

ok, I’m sending you guys a simple google forms link so you can start nominating. This time, for the sake of control, besides the spot for naming your candidates, in a ranked manner (e.g. 1. J. K. Rowling, 2. Stephen King, 3. Lee Child), I’m requiring that you write down your usernames here on the forum (in my case, Bartleby, for example). Your nominations will be presented here anonymously. I have already filled in my answer so I’m not influenced by your picks.

I’m sending a private message to everyone who has participated last year, plus some new members who have shown interest. I apologise in advance if I’ve forgotten anyone. If you have not received a message and want to nominate, just contact me in private.

just two things:

Please remember to check the nominating rules on the first post of this thread above.

and

Feel encouraged to nominate even if you don’t intend to participate in the subsequent readings/discussions, or if you’re unsure of whether or not you’ll be able to join in.

The deadline for submitting your nominations is next Friday, 15 October.
And thanks for taking so good care of this, Bartleby!

tiganeasca

ok, I’m sending you guys a simple google forms link so you can start nominating. This time, for the sake of control, besides the spot for naming your candidates, in a ranked manner (e.g. 1. J. K. Rowling, 2. Stephen King, 3. Lee Child)....

HEY! NO FAIR. Those are the people I wanted to nominate!

(P.S. Kidding, people...kidding. ? )

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
In a shameless attempt to tip the scales, I’ve noticed the names Fleur Jaeggy and Duong Thu Huong have come up repeatedly here. However, I’m not sure how many of us have read much by them. The little I’ve read of and about them has made me curious to read their work in more depth, and I’m planning on nominating them both (and encourage anyone else interested to also nominate them!)

Speaking of campaigning, I'd love for everyone to read Miyamoto Teru. If anyone else feels like nominating him...

Leseratte

He seems to be interesting. And that he has only a single novel translated to Portuguese (PT-PT) indicates that he has great chances, specially with these additional encouragements.
It´s a pity I have already sent my nominations!;)