New & Notable

Liam

Administrator
Apparently Colm Toibin has written a sequel to his beloved novel Brooklyn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I don't have a problem with writers returning to some of their finest previous material, I kind of thought that the story of Eilis Lacey ended perfectly where and when it did. Imagine if Jane Austen gave us a "20 Years Later" novel about how the marriage of Lizzie Bennett and Mr. Darcy unfolded? 🤭

tiganeasca

Apparently Colm Toibin has written a sequel to his beloved novel Brooklyn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I don't have a problem with writers returning to some of their finest previous material, I kind of thought that the story of Eilis Lacey ended perfectly where and when it did. Imagine if Jane Austen gave us a "20 Years Later" novel about how the marriage of Lizzie Bennett and Mr. Darcy unfolded? 🤭
As long as it was Jane Austen and not Michael Cunningham, I'd read it! Imagine all those cute, well-behaved little Darcy children and the trouble they could get into. Although if it were 20 years later, I guess they'd likely been teenagers. Hmmm. Maybe even better!

Liam

Administrator
^I just saw an advert on Youtube for Michael Cunningham's The Hours, which they've turned into an opera (playing at the Met). The great Renee Fleming is one of the voices!

Bartleby

I was listening to this podcast yesterday about the Brooklyn sequel, and there Toibin mentioned not particularly liking sequels but in this case he kept seeing images from the new book's opening scene, and he knew it involved Eilis and the people around her, and gradually a story formed in his mind.

It's funny he mentions, jokingly, as a potential sequel being precisely one about Lizzie Bennett's and Mr. Darcy' life some time in the future 🤭

Phil D

P.S. For those who don't know what Australian football ('footy' or 'Aussie rules') is, here's a short video that gives a pretty good explanation