Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 83959

Perhaps in response to that list, the odds changed a bit overnight:

Haruki Murakami 8.00 -> 10.00
Jamaica Kincaid 20.00 -> 10.00
Ko Un 16.00 -> 20.00
Amos Oz 20.00 -> 25.00

Ah yes, we should take stock in the people throwing money at Amos Oz who's been dead for two years :ROFLMAO:

I don't think any more than one or two Murakami books have been checked out in the Library for years. If he or Kincaid won we can basically discount the Library as an actual source going forward. Given how meh I was on his last novel and how hit or miss his last story collection was I have trouble seeing him winning now.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 83959

The thing about Isa's list is it seems he overlooked some authors, as we already saw Ulitskaya has books checked out.

Well right, this list is only representative of the exact time at which I was searching through the library - it was over a two or three day period. This list really only matters if you believe that the Academy is going to keep reading works by the winner up until the vote takes place and that someone in the selection is using the Library for selections. So if the winners books were to be checked out for the entire period of the deliberation/reading prior to the vote. I'm not sure we really have any evidence or past direct quotes from the Academy explaining when authors have been chosen well ahead of time and then not read over the summer.

If Ulitskaya wins it would imply to me that the Academy quickly accessed her works and then decided she would win well over a month before voting. It would also mean that she was shortlisted the year before, I don't remember her being heavily discussed last year, just mentioned a few times. Was she checked out frequently last year (I have no clue)?

On then other hand, it seems more likely to me if she once had a larger number of works checked out and didn't at the time I searched through the library that someone briefly went through her work, decided not to continue own with her, and then returned all the works.

With Tokarczuk for example every time I checked out her in the library between 2016 and shortly before the announcement of her win she had a significant number of works checked out. This was for easily 3+ years. With Ulitskaya I'm not sure we've seen that (have we? I honestly don't know). There were also works of hers with due dates much much later than a typical due date, books that had due dates months away as opposed to a few weeks. There were also numerous times I noted the Library placing orders to process new works by her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludus

Reader
Setting the speculation aside, are we going to discuss the announcement live? I want to know if I should caffeinate myself to be awake ?

Daniel del Real

What strikes me the most about Olson's answers was when he said "other kinds of writers, essayists for instance and also scientists".
He also makes an emphasis on trying to have a broad and universal perspective.

pinkunicorn

Reader
What strikes me the most about Olson's answers was when he said "other kinds of writers, essayists for instance and also scientists".
Yes, this is very obviously being made a point of. The question is if this is in preparation for the announcement of this year's prize or part of a concious drive to get people to nominate from a wider range of authors for coming years.

Daniel del Real

Yes, this is very obviously being made a point of. The question is if this is in preparation for the announcement of this year's prize or part of a concious drive to get people to nominate from a wider range of authors for coming years.
In last year's interview he was emphatic in having a more global perspective and more women contemplated. Then, they awarded two europeans.
I think this is for the near future but not for today.

D

Deleted member 83959

I'll be awake when it's announced but won't watch the stream itself. The last few times I've done that I've felt like I was about to have a panic attack (though this was probably because I was over-caffeinated and sleep-deprived). I still think it'll be someone off of that list I compiled and will still likely be Carson.

Other than maybe in 2016 have the tweets and Facebook posts ever actually been clues? The last 3 years they didn't seem to be. It seemed previously and this year like any of reading of these as clues has been very vague. Even with Dylan that year the posts could have been pointing to him but that may also just be us assuming they really were. Looking back the tweets were as follows, I'm at this point a bit less sure that they really meant anything as opposed to me/us just seeing things that really aren't there.

Posts that may be implying Dylan:

A post about The Beatles relating to medicine
Neruda discussing poetry
Faulkner (an American) discussing the "poet's voice"
Steinbeck (another American) stating that "literature is as old as human speech"
Toni Morrison (another American)
Tagore (a poet) with a post mentioning amongst other things that he wrote songs
A post about Kipling being the youngest winner so far (I mean, maybe if you want to stretch and say it's referencing that they're both English-language poets)

Posts that clearly weren't about Dylan:

Dario Fo memorial
Gunter Grass
A post showing all of the female winners
A post of Alexievich
Ranking of the most popular literature winners by vote

I feel like one of those crazy TV private investigators with lines of string connecting photos on a whiteboard.

Sisyphus

Reader

I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm not very enthusiastic about the Academy awarding "non-traditional" forms of literature. I feel sorry for the poor authors writing "traditional" literature who may never get the prize while a lyricist, a filmmaker or a scientist (people who are eligible for the Grammy's, Oscars or the Golden Globes) is awarded.

Last edited:
I'll be awake when it's announced but won't watch the stream itself. The last few times I've done that I've felt like I was about to have a panic attack (though this was probably because I was over-caffeinated and sleep-deprived). I still think it'll be someone off of that list I compiled and will still likely be Carson.

Other than maybe in 2016 have the tweets and Facebook posts ever actually been clues? The last 3 years they didn't seem to be. It seemed previously and this year like any of reading of these as clues has been very vague. Even with Dylan that year the posts could have been pointing to him but that may also just be us assuming they really were. Looking back the tweets were as follows, I'm at this point a bit less sure that they really meant anything as opposed to me/us just seeing things that really aren't there.

Posts that may be implying Dylan:

A post about The Beatles relating to medicine
Neruda discussing poetry
Faulkner (an American) discussing the "poet's voice"
Steinbeck (another American) stating that "literature is as old as human speech"
Toni Morrison (another American)
Tagore (a poet) with a post mentioning amongst other things that he wrote songs
A post about Kipling being the youngest winner so far (I mean, maybe if you want to stretch and say it's referencing that they're both English-language poets)

Posts that clearly weren't about Dylan:

Dario Fo memorial
Gunter Grass
A post showing all of the female winners
A post of Alexievich
Ranking of the most popular literature winners by vote

I feel like one of those crazy TV private investigators with lines of string connecting photos on a whiteboard.

Ha - to me analysing the posts feels like an episode of Only Connect (British quiz show), with the added complication of having to decide which tweets are just business as usual tweets (e.g. this year's Golding ones) and the ones which actually may (and only may) be hints. I'm undecided on whether they mean anything. They just point broadly to certain writers on the shortlist - the thing with that is that if it's not specific it's all too easy to see connections where there are none. But, like Only Connect, it's fun.

I'm not very enthusiastic about the Academy awarding "non-traditional" forms of literature. I feel sorry for the poor authors writing "traditional" literature who may never get the prize while a lyricist, a filmmaker or a scientist (people who are eligible for the Grammy's, Oscars or the Golden Globes) is awarded.
I agree with this entirely - those people have other prizes. I don't think it'll happen anyway I think this is all bluster. I think there was a tiny open door for Dylan because of a hard-core contingent of 60/70s Dylan devotees which some members influenced well to push him through. I don't think the same set of circumstances are likely to arise again.

Verkhovensky

I mean, even prior to Dylan poets who wrote lyrical poetry or were lyricists themselves won. Tagore wrote the lyrics to the National Anthems of India and Bangladesh, and wrote/influenced the the music and lyrics of the Sri Lankan National anthem.

Yes, but he was known in the West primarly as a poet through written translations of both his poetry and lyrics, wasn't he?

Bagharu

Reader
I mean, even prior to Dylan poets who wrote lyrical poetry or were lyricists themselves won. Tagore wrote the lyrics to the National Anthems of India and Bangladesh, and wrote/influenced the the music and lyrics of the Sri Lankan National anthem.

Just so you can see how Rabindranath differs from Dylan, here's the list of work Rabindranath penned/ published:

Collection of poetry: 52 books
No of Novels: 13
No of Short Stories: 95
No of plays: 38
Collection of Essays and other writings: 36 books
Collection of Letters: published under 19 volumes and 4 separate books

No of Lyrics: 2232

Also, he painted more than 2000 paintings in the last years of his life.

I really don't like it how people casually throw Rabindranath's name when it comes to Dylan.

Nirvrithi

Reader
Going by the tweet Dan referred, if Tagore is the first non-European awarded and if that really indicates something - three parameters - non-European, writer in a non-European language and then a poet - but at least two combining, then the possibilities are immense. But if you make the third factor - being a poet foremost - non-negotiable, then we are left with these proximate choices - all poets:

Listed in the order of most likely to least likely:

1. Antjie Krog _ South Africa - Gandhi had his initial anti- apartheid campaign in South Africa before he moved base to India and he was closely associated with Tagore although not politically. Apartheid is a major theme with Krog. Both South Africa and India have a similar history of colonization with the British being the major colonizing power.
2. Abdelattif Laabi - Morocco - eminently deserving although the Tagore connect can't be clearly established.
3. Adonis - Syria - Perennial favourite: Asian, like Tagore.
4. Raul Zurita - Chile - the closest in looks to Tagore ( I met him a few years ago in an art Biennale where he had an interesting installation set up)
5. Bei Dao - China - Asian, like Tagore and perhaps the most influential of modern poets in the continent next to Adonis.
6. Ida Vitale - Uruguay - Very deserving, should have won earlier, but if age is not a deterrence for SA, better late than never.
7. Saadi Youssef - Iraq - Remains one of the most influential living Arab poets after Adonis.
8. Circe Maia - Uruguay - The second best bet from Uruguay and if SA feels 90 is a cut off age barrier and for that reason Ida Vitale is left out, then Maia in her late 80s can be a sane choice.

I have speculated enough and I am gasping already...In my time zone, the announcement should be round 5 in the evening..Let me get ready to watch it live with a piping hot cup of tea to flavour the announcement....

Bartleby

This again points me to Can Xue. Not a poet, but very abstract like poetry, non-European, and a first Chinese woman, whose works are “truer than if they had really happened” and cast a lasting impression, in the end they “belong to you”, and is a different book to any reader due to different interpretations.

btw: 20 pages more than the 2017 thread already :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.