Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 83959

I have seen two Woody Allen films. Long before the sexual abuse allegations broke. I hated both of them.

Sisyphus

Reader
Let me post redhead's list again (so it is easier to find next year, after this thread is closed)

Charles Simic - 16
Louise Gluck - 13
Friederike Mayrocker - 12
Annie Ernaux - 11
Jon Fosse - 9
Michel Houellebecq - 9
Botho Strauß - 9
---

Ann Carson - 7
Can Xue - 7
Homero Aridjis - 6
Yu Hua - 6
Peter Nadas - 6
Marie Norin - 6
Ingela Strandberg - 6
Xi Xi - 6
David Grossman - 4
Yan Lianke - 3
Javier Marias - 2
Hilary Mantel - 1
Marilynne Robinson - 1

What is your final bet?

Bartleby

Let me post redhead's list again:

Charles Simic - 16
Louise Gluck - 13
Friederike Mayrocker - 12
Annie Ernaux - 11
Jon Fosse - 9
Michel Houellebecq - 9
Botho Strauß - 9
---

Ann Carson - 7
Can Xue - 7
Homero Aridjis - 6
Yu Hua - 6
Peter Nadas - 6
Marie Norin - 6
Ingela Strandberg - 6
Xi Xi - 6
David Grossman - 4
Yan Lianke - 3
Javier Marias - 2
Hilary Mantel - 1
Marilynne Robinson - 1

What is your final bet?
I stick to Can Xue :p

JFJS

Reader
I get way to anxious over this! My favorite time of the year. I fell like I'm waiting for an extremely important exam... ??

Thank You all for your insights! Yesterday I only slept after reading the entire topic.

I'm not nearly as smart or well read as you, but it's always I joy to read your comments! I'll try to catch up and participate more in here!

Btw, I'm pretty sure that some local newspapers came here for inspiration ?

D

Deleted member 83959

As with every year I’m usually sort of amazed when the European press starts pushing names as “contenders” that we’ve seen basically no evidence for in the Library or that none of us have really seemed to think he’d a chance.

Like Kincaid. Did anyone here really think she was a contender prior to like a week ago? (Serious, I don’t remember here ever being discussed at length). This just seems like the press pushing a narrative that I don’t think exists.

or Conde. She won the fake Nobel that was basically a rigged online vote where people spam nominated their favorite authors endlessly and then left some poor librarians to clean up the mess afterwards. But had she not been involved in that would anyone reply have thought her a likely winner? She hasn’t really won many of the type of awards we’d associate with the prize nor had she been involved in lots of “literary” type discussions in publications like Can Xue is.

This isn’t a comment on their worth as winners if they won, just sort of a bafflement that they’ve emerged as “possible contenders” when let’s say 2 years ago I’m not sure many would have been claiming them as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.