Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This again points me to Can Xue. Not a poet, but non-European, and a first Chinese woman, whose works are “truer than what really happened” and cast a lasting impression, in the end they “belong to you”, and is a different book to any reader due to different interpretations.

btw: 20 pages more than the 2017 thread already :)

Personally I'm interpreting it so far as: North American Poet in English, i.e. Anne Carson

Bartleby

Powerful and distinguished storyteller, first woman, Can Xue ?

On facebook there’s more:
"If there's a book you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it."
Morrison's works often depict difficult circumstances and the dark side of humanity, but still convey integrity and redemption. The way she reveals the stories of individual lives conveys insight into, understanding of, and empathy for her characters.

One hour to go!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 83959

Maybe it’s Woody Allen!

but seriously there’s no way any of these are clues at this point

Weejay

Ok like this...

Tagore > Non-European, writes in his own language > Winner not from Europe, writes in his/her own language
Hemingway > His non-fiction books Under Kilimanjaro, Green Hills of Africa > Winner from Africa, writes non-fiction
Morrison > Black > Winner is black

= Thiong'o
non-european, writes in his own language, from Africa, writes nonfiction, black

Bartleby

Ok like this...

Tagore > Non-European, writes in his own language > Winner not from Europe, writes in his/her own language
Hemingway > His non-fiction books Under Kilimanjaro, Green Hills of Africa > Winner from Africa, writes non-fiction
Morrison > Black > Winner is black

= Thiong'o
non-european, writes in his own language, from Africa, writes nonfiction, black
Getting psychologically prepared for that...

peter_d

Reader
Does anybody here know how Can Xue is pronounced? Or how a Swede would pronounce it? Just to prevent that we are like: 'Who?!' after the announcement?

D

Deleted member 83959

Just so you can see how Rabindranath differs from Dylan, here's the list of work Rabindranath penned/ published:

Collection of poetry: 52 books
No of Novels: 13
No of Short Stories: 95
No of plays: 38
Collection of Essays and other writings: 36 books
Collection of Letters: published under 19 volumes and 4 separate books

No of Lyrics: 2232

Also, he painted more than 2000 paintings in the last years of his life.

I really don't like it how people casually throw Rabindranath's name when it comes to Dylan.

What point are you trying to make? That he published more than Dylan did? That doesn’t mean they weren’t both awarded primarily as lyrical poets.

Tagore won according to the Academy “because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse.” I mean yes, he wrote a lot of other things but he primarily won because his poetry was popularized throughout Europe by other poets like Yeats.

He won mostly due to the reputation of his own translation of his own lyrics that he titled Song Offerings in English.

And the thing with the paintings, Dylan is a painter as well. That makes them even more comparable. Dylan currently has a painting exhibition open in Shanghai. He’s had other exhibitions in the past. He’s a sculptor as well.

Eynmisan

Woody Allen would be great actually!

No, it wouldn't. Besides it being controversial, I think he's very hit or miss and for every Manhattan there is a Magic in the Moonlight. I can't watch another creative, neurotic older man fall in love with an at best 20-year old again. It get's old and if it wasn't before, it's definitely creepy now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.