Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Common Reader

I purchased The Galley Slave a few years ago after someone from the Fictional Woods spoke highly of it but haven't read it. Also a Spanish translation of a novel titled "Zumbidos en la cabeza" (Must be Ringing in the Head) came out a few years ago as well.

I'm currently reading Hotel Iris. This is my third read from her, all of them happening this past few months. I'm still figuring out what she brings to contemporary Japanese literature. I found her narrative technique in Lectures from the Hostages quite refreshing, a sort of Decameron happening during the kidnapping of several people under one roof. Then The Tender Laments had a very promisory plot but was quite flat, way larger than it should have been IMO.
This third one seems to fall right in the middle, with a narrative much more fluid than the Laments but not as enticing as Lectures.
Also happen to have four more titles in my never-ending pile.
This sounds fascinating! I assume you read

• Lecturas de los rehenes [人質の朗読会]. Traducción de Juan Francisco González Sánchez. (Ed. Funambulista, 2016)
This hasn't appeared in English, so far as I know, and until you mentioned it I hadn't even heard of it. Thank you for the tip!

Daniel del Real

This sounds fascinating! I assume you read

• Lecturas de los rehenes [人質の朗読会]. Traducción de Juan Francisco González Sánchez. (Ed. Funambulista, 2016)
This hasn't appeared in English, so far as I know, and until you mentioned it I hadn't even heard of it. Thank you for the tip!

That's right, this house has published fifteen titles of her already. I think it's way more than what she has available in English translations.
Also The Memory Police has been recently published by one of the two brands of the duopoly.

The Common Reader

That's right, this house has published fifteen titles of her already. I think it's way more than what she has available in English translations.
Also The Memory Police has been recently published by one of the two brands of the duopoly.
I highly recommend it! That at least has been translated into English, very recently in fact. Here is an interesting review that gives a good sense of what Ogawa is grappling with in the novel without revealing too much of the plot: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-curse-of-memory-yoko-ogawas-the-memory-police/

Dante

Wild Reader
There’s something about The Stranger that keeps me coming back—it’s a classic, and I can understand why it’s a classic even if it’s not for me. Plus, it’s super short and I was doing reading challenges when I read it those times lol

I've had read The Stranger alone years ago and I quite liked it. I took it again right after reading The Myth of Sisyphus and it blew my mind.
That book is both a masterpiece and a literary compendium of Camus' philosophy.

nagisa

Spiky member
Also, thanks for bringing the subject of your favorite Nobel winners, so nice to check it for the 37th time.
The joys of being an old forum hand ?

Haha, I don't even finish books I don't like, let alone read them 3 times!

I do however have a big pile where I put "books I couldn't get on with first time around but that I suspect I may just not have been in the right brain-space for"; I keep it in the hope I'll get the chance one day to try some of them again, but so far that hasn't happened.
It's good to know when you're not vibing with a book or author, and good to revisit them down the line :giggle:

ministerpumpkin

It’s basically my Holy Grail lol ?

It’s actually one of five books that, if they were somehow all available in one place, all sorts of Dostoyevsky-ian horrors would ensue. I would have to have them!

I'd be fascinated to know what the other four are, especially since I've been on a Dostoevsky kick the last year or so!

Stevie B

Current Member
It’s basically my Holy Grail lol ?

It’s actually one of five books that, if they were somehow all available in one place, all sorts of Dostoyevsky-ian horrors would ensue. I would have to have them!
I know Dave (tiganeasca) is looking for it, too. He probably has a better chance finding it in Chicago than I do in the Twin Cities (unless I strike a bargain with Mephistopheles first). The sad thing is that I owned a like new copy of The Third Bank on the River years ago, but traded it away without really knowing how uncommon that book is. I once started a thread on great books we let slip through our fingers. At least I can console myself that it wasn't Backland.

Bartleby

Just stopping by to remind y'all (as many others have done before) to perhaps wait for Alison Entrekin's translation of Guimarães Rosa's novel, a more faithful one. It might take a while to see the light of day, but it should be worth it ;)

Stevie B

Current Member
Just stopping by to remind y'all (as many others have done before) to perhaps wait for Alison Entrekin's translation of Guimarães Rosa's novel, a more faithful one. It might take a while to see the light of day, but it should be worth it ;)

Interesting to read that the book is so challenging to translate that a day where 500 words are translated qualifies as great progress.

Morbid Swither

Thank you so much for sharing this, Bartleby !
I’ll add to the list of translations to keep an eye out for, just under The Children of the Dead by Elfriede Jelinek, Világló részletek (“Illuminating Parts”) by Peter Nádas, and Solenoid by Mircea Cărtărescu!

Last edited:

Martino

LOL

Almost Transparent Blue; Ryū Murakami
The Ship; Hans Henny Jahn
Tomb for 500,000 Soldiers; Pierre Guyotat
The Bicycle Rider in Beverly Hills; William Saroyan
and of course Devil to Pay…
What an interesting selection, dear Morbid! I heard Pierre Guyotat pens very graphic descriptions...João Gilberto Noll as well. Do you read him in Portuguese?

Morbid Swither

What an interesting selection, dear Morbid! I heard Pierre Guyotat pens very graphic descriptions...João Gilberto Noll as well. Do you read him in Portuguese?
Only in English, I can handle some French and German, as I took courses in these in college! The last French work I read was Si longue lettre by Mariama Bâ.

Morbid Swither

Especially now that Amos Oz has passed, there seems to be a consensus that David Grossman would be the premier Hebrew candidate. However, just to consider what other’s might think on the subject, are there any members familiar with contemporary Hebrew literature who feel differently? Other Hebrew authors I have enjoyed are Etgar Keret, Orly Castle-Bloom, Dror Burstein, Yoel Hoffman and A.B. Yehoshua.

Morbid Swither

One more thing, it surprises me/disappoints me that Native American literature has not had much love on this forum. And maybe that’s not true, perhaps it’s just that caught up in speculation, we obviously gravitate to the biggest names within the discussion. But it is a bit odd to me that such a vibrant literature has yet to produce a strongly advocated recipient for the Prize. Writers such as Erdrich seem like obvious choices, but surely Navarre Scott Momaday, Leslie Mormon Silko (perhaps she would be a controversial choice to some), Joy Harjo, or actually Sherman Alexie (who I think is an awesome writer) seem totally ignored.
No activity at the library for any of these, which I suppose explains that.
Update: Referring to Alexie’s Wikipedia entry, evidently he, too, has been accused by multiple women of sexual harassment. So never mind! I didn’t know anything about this prior to my post. Yet again, depressed and horrified that someone I admired just can’t keep his hands to himself.

Last edited:

Nirvrithi

Reader
Especially now that Amos Oz has passed, there seems to be a consensus that David Grossman would be the premier Hebrew candidate. However, just to consider what other’s might think on the subject, are there any members familiar with contemporary Hebrew literature who feel differently? Other Hebrew authors I have enjoyed are Etgar Keret, Orly Castle-Bloom, Dror Burstein, Yoel Hoffman and A.B. Yehoshua.
Now that Oz is out of reckoning, the toss should be between Grossman and Yehoshua (if Israel is in contention this year). I would go for Yehoshua if you evaluate both authors based on entire body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.