Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Jackson

Agreed. I think Gurnah may have pulled the biggest shock this century.

Wasn't expecting this thread to be up for another two or so months. I don't mind (I look forward to the thread, and it usually gives me plenty of recommendations), but I haven't quite starting thinking on this year's potential winner. My list probably looks somewhat bland/boring/usual-suspects...

I'm leaning towards a European or Asian writer (who strays from English), which led me to boil it down to these ten—
??László Krasznahorkai
??/?? Dubravka Ugrešić
?? Annie Ernaux
?? Yu Hua
?? Ana Blandiana
?? Haruki Murakami (and, yes, I'm being serious)
?? Jon Fosse
????Milan Kundera (and, yes, I'm being serious)
??/?? Hélène Cixous
(with a left-field who's that/what just happened??? twist of)—
?? Kim Hyesoon
(and, breaking form for one second)—
?? Frankétienne

I won't rule out a Caribbean winner, but I don't believe this will be the year for an English-language writer, or an African (which rules out two of my top picks, Carson and Thiong'o). For some reason (even though it has absolutely no justification) I'm not seeing a South American writer winning this year either. Apart from Aira, I'm honestly in the dark to who they would vouch for.

I know this is a boring/typical list of authors we have seen mentioned year-after-year, but I believe the SA will play it somewhat safe this year and award an author many people who watch the prize are familiar with. I am leaning strongly towards one of those first four, particularly Krasznahorkai (and not just because he won our inaugural WLF award). This year or the next, it's his time.

I'll also add, while I truly don't think it'll be an English writer for three years in a row, Michael Ondaatje has some excellent cards on the table.

Thank you for mentioning Kraszhnarhokai, my friend. I was looking outside Europe that I forgot to mention him.

To be honest, I love Ernaux's work. I remember reading The Years and A Simple Passion and loving them, and of course Kundera, but I feel their advanced ages will hinder them from being awarded. As for Murakami, I loved Norweigan Wood, but I tried reading 1Q84 but couldn't get past the first fifteen to twenty pages. I got frustrated. But for the rest in your shortlist, I'll try and read one or two books of theirs.

Abhi

But she was really, in my opinion, an American heiress to Faulkner or even someone like Virginia Woolf, who was really pushing at the boundaries of what a novel might do or tell or show.
This I totally agree with! Even though I personally feel one doesn't need to read her every single work (not that she doesn't deserve it) to understand her greatness in terms of scope, she really created a whole new arena of what can be told in fiction, and how.

Speaking of Morrison, there's a mild scope of comparison between her and Salman Rushdie here. Morrison's greatness exemplified by her first 4 or 5 novels is enough to vouch for her Nobel-worthy status. Since many arguably think the same about Rushdie, if he hasn't won in the 2000s, he never will IMO. So that discards him from anglophone contenders.

But I'll feel really weird if an anglophone author wins this year. Three winners in the same language in a row would be a massive letdown.

Last edited:

Leseratte

Uh, Toni Morrison is definitely a writer who deserves to be read in full. Her books are wildly different from each other in content and she was constantly experimenting with form (see: The Bluest Eye vs Beloved vs Jazz vs Love), granted most people seem to hear her name and think of her incredibly singular gifts for stylized language. But she was really, in my opinion, an American heiress to Faulkner or even someone like Virginia Woolf, who was really pushing at the boundaries of what a novel might do or tell or show.

In that way I would say she was a very different writer with a very different overall project from someone like Gurnah who I agree is sort of re-engaging and reworking the same thematic/ontological territory in book after book, albeit with cumulatively revelatory results,ut also asbsome have pointed out. He's not really out here trying to remake the wheel.
Just reading "The Bluest Eye". I´m impressed not only with the content, but with the use of language. Even if she hadn´t written anything else she would have been a great writer.

Ben Jackson

This I totally agree with! Even though I personally feel one doesn't need to read her every single work (not that she doesn't deserve it) to understand her greatness in terms of scope, she really created a whole new arena of what can be told in fiction, and how.

Speaking of Morrison, there's a mild scope of comparison between her and Salman Rushdie here. Morrison's greatness exemplified by her first 4 or 5 novels is enough to vouch for her Nobel-worthy status. Since many arguably think the same about Rushdie, if he hasn't won in the 2000s, he never will IMO. So that discards him from anglophone contenders.

But I'll feel really weird if an anglophone author wins this year. Three winners in the same language in a row would be a massive letdown.

It happened between 1948-1950 when Eliot, Faulkner and Bertrand Russell won the Nobel. It might happen who knows.

hayden

As for Murakami, I loved Norweigan Wood, but I tried reading 1Q84 but couldn't get past the first fifteen to twenty pages. I got frustrated. But for the rest in your shortlist, I'll try and read one or two books of theirs.

I mean, I didn't say those were my personal choices :whistle:
(although, I do like most of them quite a bit)

I'm also fond of Norwegian Wood— and Dance Dance Dance— but Murakami's been hit-or-miss for me.

I think as long as Kundera's alive, he's got a shot. The fact he hasn't won is almost weird.

And if there's any writer on that list you want a recommended work from, I'm sure the forum has lots to say :p

Morbid Swither

Agreed. I think Gurnah may have pulled the biggest shock this century.

Wasn't expecting this thread to be up for another two or so months. I don't mind (I look forward to the thread, and it usually gives me plenty of recommendations), but I haven't quite starting thinking on this year's potential winner. My list probably looks somewhat bland/boring/usual-suspects...

I'm leaning towards a European or Asian writer (who strays from English), which led me to boil it down to these ten—
??László Krasznahorkai
??/?? Dubravka Ugrešić
?? Annie Ernaux
?? Yu Hua
?? Ana Blandiana
?? Haruki Murakami (and, yes, I'm being serious)
?? Jon Fosse
????Milan Kundera (and, yes, I'm being serious)
??/?? Hélène Cixous
(with a left-field who's that/what just happened??? twist of)—
?? Kim Hyesoon
(and, breaking form for one second)—
?? Frankétienne

I won't rule out a Caribbean winner, but I don't believe this will be the year for an English-language writer, or an African (which rules out two of my top picks, Carson and Thiong'o). For some reason (even though it has absolutely no justification) I'm not seeing a South American writer winning this year either. Apart from Aira, I'm honestly in the dark to who they would vouch for.

I know this is a boring/typical list of authors we have seen mentioned year-after-year, but I believe the SA will play it somewhat safe this year and award an author many people who watch the prize are familiar with. I am leaning strongly towards one of those first four, particularly Krasznahorkai (and not just because he won our inaugural WLF award). This year or the next, it's his time.

I'll also add, while I truly don't think it'll be an English writer for three years in a row, Michael Ondaatje has some excellent cards on the table.

There are definitely a lot of authors on your list here that stand out to me as well.

Ana Blandiana, Kim Hyesoon — poets that I’ve really become obsessed with and was thankful to have read more of their work this past year.

And along these lines, I’ve been extremely absorbed in Serhiy Zhadan and Carmen Boullosa, who I am “nominating” for 2022.

Benny Profane

If one thinks on what might be SA´s guidelines this year:

1-The necessity to surprise (I think that is a general guideline of SA. If they become too predicable they will become boring and people, including a certain WLF won´t be spending months and months any more trying to guess the winner.

2-Europe is particularly affected by the Ukraine war and its implications in its boundaries, its economics and social capacities. "This war is not fought in some distant continent and the refugees are not coming to us over the sea in fragile ships. They are our next door neighbors, their fate may be our fate tomorrow. In this sense, we are all Ukraine".

3-Sweden is feeling particularly affected by this war. I hadn´t realized until the conflict began, that Sweden and Russia are close neighbors. Now, the usually neutral Sweden is battling for her own security.

So, up to now it seems that the chosen author will be nearly or distantly somehow related to this conflict. On a first glance there seems to me to be little chance for any authors outside Europe.
Great post, my darling!

I have some impressions about your post and I'd like to do a reflection about the Prize in Literature.

Based on my perceptions about the Nobel Prize in Economics, the Prize for Gurnah last year and the horrible scenario that we've been living in nowadays, I've noticed that an aleatory event (in Economics we call it as "exogenous shock") could impact on the choice of the prize, but the committee prefers to wait or could analyse a previous event that has a relation with a current event. I could notice this based on my analysis of the previous prizes.

That's not an imediate stuff and not necessarily an external event has been occuring in any year impacts on the same choice by the committee.

The SA doesn't base itself in actual political events to decide a prize for someone. But these external events could impact in the future.
I find very difficult that 2022 Prize in Literature goes to a ukranian writer, but could be for a balkanian, a kurdish, a filipino, a vietnamese or a lybian, for example.

Therefore, my picks are:

- Balkans (because of the conflict occured in 90's):

?? Dubravka Ugrešić, Slavenka Drakulić or a croatian writer that we don't know (maybe @Verkhovensky might list some names that we don't know and could be a potential nobelist);
?? Aleksandar Hemon or a bosnian writer that we don't know;
?? Drago Jančar or a slovenian writer that we don't know;
Or a serbian or a montenegrin writer and pacifist;

- Czech and Slovakia (pacifism and "the Velvet Revolution"):

?? Jáchym Topol (a complete writer);
?? Mila Haugová

- Asia (Vietnam War):

?? Dương Thu Hương, Bảo Ninh or a vietnamese writer that we don't know;

- Africa (Libya's Civil War):

?? Ibrahim Al-Koni or a libyan writer that we don't know;

- Kurdistan (Europe and Asia):

Firat Cewerî;
Salim Barakat;
Jan Dost;
Bachtyar Ali;
Rafiq Sabir or another kurdish writer that we don't know.

- Bonus (Brazil's bad politics for indigenous people):

?? Daniel Munduruku (an indigenous writer) and Milton Hatoum (he lives in Amazon).

Last edited:

Leseratte

Thanks, Benny,

I think I see what you mean and, anyway thanks for the list of writers "That we don´t know". That list looks very interesting and I will take a closer look at it. Form all this writers, only Al-Koni is on my reading list. I am also very interested in Daniel Mundukuru. He has an English Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Munduruku, and two of his books have been translated to English. Seems a bit early to put him on a Nobel list, but after Bob Dylan everything is possible.

What I mean with the influence of the Ukrainian war on Nobel 2022, doesn´t mean that they will necessarily chose an Ukrainian author or a Russian that supports Ukraine. It means, that Europa´s perspective and sense of security has changed. They are becoming more conscious of their own boundaries. And that there possibly will be little room for taking a look at the other continents.

All this, very vagely expressed, may influence this years choice.

Liam

Administrator
I doubt another poet will win so soon after Louise Glück, but as usual, I am keeping my hopes up for Paul Muldoon.

?? Tomas Venclova also fits the bill: a tremendously gifted poet, Soviet dissident, forced into exile, writes primarily in Lithuanian, despite living in the US since the late 1970s.

?? If a Ukrainian writer has a chance at all (and I wouldn't put it past the Academy to award a Ukrainian this year), I think Yurii Andrukhovych has more chances than any.

?? With Zagajewski's death, I think that Ryszard Krynicki has become Poland's main hope for the Nobel as far as the world of poetry is concerned. A Polish writer might not win for a long time, however, since Olga Tokarczuk was awarded fairly recently.

I am glad to see that Krynicki's Selected Poems is available in English (translated by veteran translator Clare Cavanagh!)

The following two names don't stand a chance (at least in my opinion), but their names have never been mentioned before, so I'll add them for "educational" purposes (both writers have strong pacifist leanings, which is always welcome):

?? Llorenç Vidal Vidal (poet, writes in both Spanish and Catalan)
?? Zorica Jevremović (playwright and feminist theorist, also a theater director and literary historian)

I say they stand no chance only because I don't think they measure up to contemporary "giants" of world literature, but it's always fun to throw new names into the mix, :)

Benny Profane

?? If a Ukrainian writer has a chance at all (and I wouldn't put it past the Academy to award a Ukrainian this year), I think Yurii Andrukhovych has more chances than any.

I say they stand no chance only because I don't think they measure up to contemporary "giants" of world literature, but it's always fun to throw new names into the mix, :)
Many new names, @Liam. Thank you!

I'm very interested to read something by him. :)

Verkhovensky

(maybe @Verkhovensky might list some names that we don't know and could be a potential nobelist);
Maybe Miljenko Jergović could have a really long shot. According to his personal site, five of his books are translated in English, twelve in German, fourteen in Italian, six in French... he is translated into 25 languages, mostly with his first and most known book, Sarajevo Marlboro, a short story collection about life of common people during Siege of Sarajevo. His main problem with getting biggest awards is I think is the fact that he is very prolific, which often results in many mediocre works. He has published around 50 books in the last 30-ish years, including 17 novels (rest are short story collections, poetry, essays etc.). Count him as a Bosnian writer too since he is originally from Sarajevo.

Serbia - unfortunately for them (and for the literature), Danilo Kiš died young (at 54 years old in 1989), I believe he would have had a real shot in the 90s. Similarlly lesser known Borislav Pekić (died at 62 in 1992) and Mirko Kovač (died at 74 in 2013 - he later "emigrated" to Croatian literature in protest against the wars of the 1990s). They were part of so-called "Belgrade Quartet", a grouping of writers that were close friends (but not some "school" of writing - Kiš and Filip David were/are chiefly influenced by Borges and Schulz, Kovač was a classic narrator in the vein of Ivo Andrić and Pekić was very diverse and prolific, ranging from novels about totalitarianism, historical fiction, and pic narratives to horror and science fiction) . Fourth member is the least prolificient and the only still living, Filip David (1940). I don't think he has chances.

Also for Slavenka Drakulić - she lives in Stockholm (her husband is a Swedish historian and long time correspondent of Svenska Dagbladet) so I guess that means that at least some of the members of the Academy heard of her.

Abhi

Any hint from the Nobel library website yet? Or have they stopped public viewing of checked out books (because we are obsessed with the library)?

Stevie B

Current Member
Any hint from the Nobel library website yet? Or have they stopped public viewing of checked out books (because we are obsessed with the library)?
A small part of me still wonders if some books last year had been checked out (or not checked out) just to sabotage the notion that insights could be gained by tracking the comings and goings of Nobel library books (though I also realize that such a thought gives us too much credit).

Nice to see my favorite forum back this year again...
So, this year the target will be to really try to find the winner... At least, to write once his name during all this forum?
Let's go to speculate!...

If I must give one name coming from my hart, that would be Laszlo KRATSNAHORKAI. I find this writer absolutely unbeliveble, you can read five books of this author, I garantee you that you will read five completely differents books, with five differets styles, and have the impression that you have read five differents authors...

Nothing to say more that : This writer really deserve the Nobel Prize!

2-Europe is particularly affected by the Ukraine war and its implications in its boundaries, its economics and social capacities. "This war is not fought in some distant continent and the refugees are not coming to us over the sea in fragile ships. They are our next door neighbors, their fate may be our fate tomorrow. In this sense, we are all Ukraine".
3-Sweden is feeling particularly affected by this war. I hadn´t realized until the conflict began, that Sweden and Russia are close neighbors. Now, the usually neutral Sweden is battling for her own security.
So, up to now it seems that the chosen author will be nearly or distantly somehow related to this conflict. On a first glance there seems to me to be little chance for any authors outside Europe.
I agree with this.
In this case a good choise from the SA will be Lioudmila OULITSKAÏA

Status
Not open for further replies.