Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhi

A small part of me still wonders if some books last year had been checked out (or not checked out) just to sabotage the notion that insights could be gained by tracking the comings and goings of Nobel library books (though I also realize that such a thought gives us too much credit).
At least we did realize last year that they were considering authors from the African continent. I remember many African authors being checked out. But this year they're totally hiding it. It looks like the credit should be given to us ?

Abhi

Are we considering playwrights this year? I am listing Caryl Churchill, Botho Strauss, Wajdi Mouawad, Tom Lanoye, Dea Loher, Fernando Arrabal, Yasmina Reza, Tom Stoppard. Does any of them seem Nobel-worthy to you all? (I'm not very familiar with playwrights)

Ben Jackson

If I must give one name coming from my hart, that would be Laszlo KRATSNAHORKAI. I find this writer absolutely unbeliveble, you can read five books of this author, I garantee you that you will read five completely differents books, with five differets styles, and have the impression that you have read five differents authors...

Nothing to say more that : This writer really deserve the Nobel Prize!

Totally agree with you, my friend.

Ben Jackson

Are we considering playwrights this year? I am listing Caryl Churchill, Botho Strauss, Wajdi Mouawad, Tom Lanoye, Dea Loher, Fernando Arrabal, Yasmina Reza, Tom Stoppard. Does any of them seem Nobel-worthy to you all? (I'm not very familiar with playwrights)

I've not read Botho Strauss yet but reading his biography and reviews of some of his key works, I notice his style is quite close to Handke. I read Stoppard's classic Rosencrantz and Guildernstern three years ago and found the work great, his other works I've not read though.

Leseratte

I think they should be considered, yes!

redhead

Blahblahblah

Of those, I’ve only really read Botho Strauss. @Ben Jackson is right even if the SA thinks he’s Nobel material (and I’m not convinced he is), his work might be too similar to Handke’s.

Jon Fosse strikes me as the most likely playwright this year. Arguably, he deserves the prize for just his play or novel output. The main issues I see are that he’s Scandinavian and that if you’re not on his wavelength, I think his works can be almost unreadable.

Abhi

The main issues I see are that he’s Scandinavian and that if you’re not on his wavelength, I think his works can be almost unreadable.
I'm yet to read his works. Do you mean their linguistic or syntactical style might pose a challenge to readers outside Scandinavia? Or the pacing in his plot? Or the things he writes about are difficult to follow or relate to for readers outside due to lack of familiarity?

Liam

Administrator
if you’re not on his wavelength, I think his works can be almost unreadable
There are a handful of authors of whom this is decidedly true! I would also add Gerald Murnane, Robert Walser and Eliot Weinberger to this list.

I'm yet to read his works. Do you mean their linguistic or syntactical style might pose a challenge to readers outside Scandinavia? Or the pacing in his plot? Or the things he writes about are difficult to follow or relate to for readers outside due to lack of familiarity?

Trilogy, for instance, consists of three very simple novellas, written in a plain and unadorned style, with frequent use of repetition. It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Liam

Administrator
^I actually DID mean Robert Walser, with his "micro-fictions" and completely unclassifiable novels like Jakob von Gunten, etc, :)

He just doesn't fit into any of the preconceived notions of what literature is or "should" be.

I only read one book by Martin Walser: Runaway Horse. I think (if I remember correctly) that I liked it at the time.

Which of his plays would you recommend?

Benny Profane

^I actually DID mean Robert Walser, with his "micro-fictions" and completely unclassifiable novels like Jakob von Gunten, etc, :)

He just doesn't fit into any of the preconceived notions of what literature is or "should" be.

I only read one book by Martin Walser: Runaway Horse. I think (if I remember correctly) that I liked it at the time.

Which of his plays would you recommend?

Ah, OK! :)

I read two of his plays translated into Portuguese and I don't know whether they're translated into English.

Their names are (in approximate translation) "Conjugal Battle" and "Kids' Game".

Great plays!

And I read the "biography" about Goethe called "A Beloved Man".

Status
Not open for further replies.