WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Which of these writers should be on our shortlist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

juanje94

Although I was not finally able to participate in this year's WLF, as I did not have as much time to read as I would have liked due to my studies (finally finished, thank God), I am very proud of our WLF winner JON FOSSE (interestingly also the laureate Nobel Prize in Literature a few days later), as I loved his book Trilogy and I am enjoying his Septology (right now I am about the middle of Book 1).

This coming year I promise to really participate more in this beautiful and enriching prize, specially reading your comments about their books.

Last year I chose Adonis, Can Xue and Péter Nádas as my candidates, but as I don't like to repeat myself, this year I'm going with these three:

- Alejandro Zambra
- Han Kang
- Duong Thu Huong

The first one because he writes in Spanish (my mother tongue) and he is one of the most interesting authors in Latin American right now. The second one because I have read only a few books from Korea (only a beautiful poetry collection book from Ko Un translated into Spanish and some manhwas) and I am very interested about this country and their culture (I am fam of their cinema of the last 25 years). And the last one because she was the first writer that I remember to discover in this forum (in the section the Nobel Prize in Literature Speculation), so as a tribute to discovering you I would like to read her (even though sadly there are not many of her books translated into Spanish).

So as soon as the form is open I will submit them properly.

Best regards,
Juanje

Benny Profane

Do you know if Adriana Lisboa has been translated into English, Benny?
Yes.

According to wikipedia, Azul-Corvo [Crow Blue] and some novels was translated into English.

Novels[edit]​

• Todos os santos – Brazil, 2019. Publisher: Alfaguara.
  • Hanoi – Brazil, 2013. Publisher: Alfaguara.
  • Crow Blue – United Kingdom, 2013/USA, 2014. Original title: Azul corvo, 2010. Publisher: Bloomsbury.
  • Hut of Fallen Persimmons – USA, 2011. Original title: Rakushisha, 2007. Publisher: Texas Tech University Press
  • Um beijo de colombina – Brazil, 2003.
  • Symphony in White – USA, 2010. Original title: Sinfonia em branco, 2001. Publisher: Texas Tech University Press.
  • Os fios da memória – Brazil, 1999 (out of print)

Leseratte

Although I was not finally able to participate in this year's WLF, as I did not have as much time to read as I would have liked due to my studies (finally finished, thank God), I am very proud of our WLF winner JON FOSSE (interestingly also the laureate Nobel Prize in Literature a few days later), as I loved his book Trilogy and I am enjoying his Septology (right now I am about the middle of Book 1).

This coming year I promise to really participate more in this beautiful and enriching prize, specially reading your comments about their books.

Last year I chose Adonis, Can Xue and Péter Nádas as my candidates, but as I don't like to repeat myself, this year I'm going with these three:

- Alejandro Zambra
- Han Kang
- Duong Thu Huong

The first one because he writes in Spanish (my mother tongue) and he is one of the most interesting authors in Latin American right now. The second one because I have read only a few books from Korea (only a beautiful poetry collection book from Ko Un translated into Spanish and some manhwas) and I am very interested about this country and their culture (I am fam of their cinema of the last 25 years). And the last one because she was the first writer that I remember to discover in this forum (in the section the Nobel Prize in Literature Speculation), so as a tribute to discovering you I would like to read her (even though sadly there are not many of her books translated into Spanish).

So as soon as the form is open I will submit them properly.

Best regards,
Juanje
Han Kang, the only one I have read, seems a very good choice to me.

Verkhovensky

Taylor Swift, American songwriter - for a songwriter whose compositions exploring the nuances of emotion and memory, as well as the rich web of interpersonal relationships, have captured the attention and affection of listeners throughout the world.
Nothing about great American song tradition?

@everybody else

Why no love for Daniel Kehlmann? :confused:

Leemo

I'm mildly surprised how little intention there seems to be to vote for writers who they've nominated before. Do people who once voted for Ismail Kadare and Can Xue no longer like them as much? Or perhaps people just like to change things up?

hayden

I'm mildly surprised how little intention there seems to be to vote for writers who they've nominated before. Do people who once voted for Ismail Kadare and Can Xue no longer like them as much? Or perhaps people just like to change things up?

I imagine people just like to change things up.
I must admit, nominating Thiong'o came to mind, but I've decided otherwise. Too many writers. Would like to dive deep into a different bibliography.

Leseratte

Yes.

According to wikipedia, Azul-Corvo [Crow Blue] and some novels was translated into English.

Novels[edit]​

• Crow Blue – United Kingdom, 2013/USA, 2014. Original title: Azul corvo, 2010. Publisher: Bloomsbury.
  • Hut of Fallen Persimmons – USA, 2011. Original title: Rakushisha, 2007. Publisher: Texas Tech University Press
  • Symphony in White – USA, 2010. Original title: Sinfonia em branco, 2001. Publisher: Texas Tech University Press.
Thanks, Benny!:)So there are at least three novels in English.

nagisa

Spiky member
I'm changing things up, and I'm a previous Kadare and Can Xue voter. I love them, but I want other names in conversation

Leseratte

Nothing about great American song tradition?

@everybody else

Why no love for Daniel Kehlmann? :confused:
I like Daniel Kehlmann very much. It's just that I already have read several books by him and now want to read other authors. But if he is chosen, that is very much ok.

Leseratte

Yes.

Novels[edit]​

I just started to read Symphony in White (in Portuguese). She writes beautifully, but seems already to be half forgotten. That is what happens to the writer of this country.

Bartleby

Ok, so I believe we can start nominating!

First of all, please read the instructions carefully!

Here is the Google forms application to do that.

You will see two simple requests. One is to write your username here on the Forum (for instance, in my case, Bartleby), just for the sake of control.

Then you will nominate your three writers in preference order, something like this:

1) Javier Marías, 2) Hilary Mantel, 3) Milan Kundera

This is just an example, since they've already passed away, so as to not influence on the decision.

Remember they must be alive, and not having won the Nobel prize.

Also, since António Lobo Antunes and Scholastique Mukasonga were shortlisted last year, they are ineligible for this year; Krasznahorkai, Murnane, and Fosse too, for they've already won our prize.

Can Xue, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o, Ismail Kadare, and Fleur Jaeggy are eligible again, together with any other writer fitting the aforementioned criteria.

Also, remember to select someone who has at least one book readily available in English, so members can read it!

You can nominate even if you don't think you will be able to participate, so feel free to bring some names to the table!

I've voted already, so as not to get influenced by your picks :)

I believe one week is enough for everyone to submit their choices. Any problems or doubts, do let us know! see you soon with the results :)!