WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Which of these writers should be on our shortlist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

errequatro

Reader
Firstly, I am sorry if I haven't been the most engaged contributor here of late but I am really busy at work and I had a lot of things thrown my way so that takes priority...
Even though I am gutted for ALA, I am ready for my picks :)

1) Ismail Kadaré
2) Paulina Chiziane (I have made sure she is translated, so there you go...)
3) Han Kang

Bartleby

Firstly, I am sorry if I haven't been the most engaged contributor here of late but I am really busy at work and I had a lot of things thrown my way so that takes priority...
Even though I am gutted for ALA, I am ready for my picks :)

1) Ismail Kadaré
2) Paulina Chiziane (I have made sure she is translated, so there you go...)
3) Han Kang

Thanks for your answers! Just make sure, please, to also submit your nominations on this google form application, just so I don't get lost in counting all the names, also in separating what's a mere suggestion from an actual nomination ?

Ok, so I believe we can start nominating!

First of all, please read the instructions carefully!

Here is the Google forms application to do that.

You will see two simple requests. One is to write your username here on the Forum (for instance, in my case, Bartleby), just for the sake of control.

Then you will nominate your three writers in preference order, something like this:

1) Javier Marías, 2) Hilary Mantel, 3) Milan Kundera

This is just an example, since they've already passed away, so as to not influence on the decision.

Remember they must be alive, and not having won the Nobel prize.

Also, since António Lobo Antunes and Scholastique Mukasonga were shortlisted last year, they are ineligible for this year; Krasznahorkai, Murnane, and Fosse too, for they've already won our prize.

Can Xue, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o, Ismail Kadare, and Fleur Jaeggy are eligible again, together with any other writer fitting the aforementioned criteria.

Also, remember to select someone who has at least one book readily available in English, so members can read it!

You can nominate even if you don't think you will be able to participate, so feel free to bring some names to the table!

I've voted already, so as not to get influenced by your picks :)

I believe one week is enough for everyone to submit their choices. Any problems or doubts, do let us know! see you soon with the results :)!

I'm mildly surprised how little intention there seems to be to vote for writers who they've nominated before. Do people who once voted for Ismail Kadare and Can Xue no longer like them as much? Or perhaps people just like to change things up?

Personally, I haven't voted for any of the previous "finalists" because it's just good to be thinking about some new writers. I'd possibly think about nominating previous finalists in a year or two.

I wouldn't be averse to something that says the runner up from the previous year was automatically included in the shortlist for the following year as a 4th name, just for consideration in the final vote in instances where people think "Well, the 3 people from this year are great/fine, but they don't compare to last year's second place person". I have however only thought about this for about 10 seconds so it may be an awful idea, on examination. It wouldn't necessarily add to the reading "burden" because you'd already have read them.

Liam

Administrator
My choices were (shamelessly hoping to influence other people into voting for at least ONE of these names, LOL):

Muldoon -- Byatt -- Mauvignier

But honestly the whole process of picking a list of three, and then reading their work, is so much fun, I almost don't care who wins. I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to nominate the likes of Stephanie Meyer, so... ?

Bartleby

If Kadare makes the cut again, can we have four finalists? ?‍♂️

jk, jk... kinda.

Glad to hear about the turnout. Hoping for a few surprises.
We can open a poll to decide that if something similar happens :)

Last edited:

tiganeasca

If Kadare makes the cut again, can we have four finalists? ?‍♂️

jk, jk... kinda.

Glad to hear about the turnout. Hoping for a few surprises.
Uh...because why? I don't understand why the list of finalists should be expanded if any particular author--whether Kadare, Jaeggy, Can Xue, Thiong'o, or anyone else that anyone names--makes it as a finalist?

hayden

Uh...because why? I don't understand why the list of finalists should be expanded if any particular author--whether Kadare, Jaeggy, Carson, or anyone else that anyone names--makes it as a finalist?

It was mostly a jest. I'm foreseeing him making the cut. (Or at least very close to it).
(Was just hoping for 3 fresh candidates ?— nothing against Kadare personally)

Last edited: