Your favourite painting

You can see from my choices that I like circles. They are quite soothing.

Here are some pictures that employ stripes which are very energizing.

http://www.impressionist-art-gallery.com/images/bath.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tajWy9zWQhY/SbfQxaJ57YI/AAAAAAAAD6k/DGgO-FKbq44/s400/neel_self.jpg

The Origin of the World shows a foreshortened figure which is quite difficult to paint or draw as your mind doesn't want to paint what it sees but what it knows is there, the figure at its full length. Here is a famous foreshortened figure.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9uuG-FIJEw4/SSE4b6lSdWI/AAAAAAAAACE/9fJOnf4IIVY/s400/Edouard_Manet_073.jpg

For our resident medievalist, a little Bernstein.

YouTube - Candide - 07 Auto-da-f? (What a day)

What a day, what a day
For an auto-da-f?!
What a sunny summer sky!
What a day, what a day
For an auto-da-f?!
It's a lovely day for drinking
And for watching people fry!
Hurry, hurry, hurry,
Watch'em die!
Hurry, hurry, hurry,
Hang 'em high!

learna

Reader
Anyway... learna, the painting you've just posted is amazing, are you sure that's not a photo??

Loki, imagine my impression when I saw his paintings in Tretyakov Gallery.
This is the most famous painting by Aivazovsky:

The Ninth Wave:

When I say "impressionism" first of all I mean Monet:

I like pointillism by Georges Seurat and these are some paintings by Van Gogh:

Loki

Reader
I just know this one by Seurat:
seurat.jpg

miercuri

Reader
My favorite painter is Peter Bruegel, and I have a Hunters in the Snow print in my room.

Brueghel_the_elder_-_Hunters_in_the_snow.jpg

This is one of my favourite paintings as well. The Dutch Renaissance is mostly overlooked by museum goers, everyone flocks to see the Italian art.
This is my favourite Hieronymus Bosch painting, Christ Carrying the Cross:

Jheronimus_Bosch_or_follower_001.jpg

learna

Reader
As we're writing about impressionism I think it would we right to post the painting thanks to which the expression "impressionism" appeared.

Loki

Reader
Continuing on the same topic, this work of art by Renoir cannot be neglected:
impressionisti_4.jpg

Last summer I went to Paris and I decided to go to the Moulin de la Galette. I was really disappointed, since there was literally nothing I could see. If I had known this beforehand...

learna

Reader
Continuing on the same topic, this work of art by Renoir cannot be neglected:
impressionisti_4.jpg

Last summer I went to Paris and I decided to go to the Moulin de la Galette. I was really disappointed, since there was literally nothing I could see. If I had known this beforehand...

Fantastic shining.
Loki, I hope that this painting will perk up your mood :):
Camille Pissaro
Boulevard Montmartre in the morning, partly cloudy.

Have you visited Museum d'Orsay?

Last edited:

learna

Reader
Liam, this is another Madonna:

Sistine Madonna by Raphael ( I saw it in Dresden).

The angelets are so nice:

I like Madonnas by Leonardo as well.

And this icon by Andrei Rublov is a sum of hurmony:

Loki

Reader
Fantastic shining.
Loki, I hope that this painting perk up your mood :):
Have you visit Museum d'Orsay?

It does!

I went to Museum d'Orsay and I loved it, there were lots of great paintings, especially as impressionism is concerned.
There I finally saw, and admired, Millet's Angelus.

I also went to the Louvre and I saw La Gioconda, but I still can't understand its greatness, it's just a beautiful painting; but there are many others that are even better.

learna

Reader
It does!

I went to Museum d'Orsay and I loved it, there were lots of great paintings, especially as impressionism is concerned.
There I finally saw, and admired, Millet's Angelus.

I also went to the Louvre and I saw La Gioconda, but I still can't understand its greatness, it's just a beautiful painting; but there are many others that are even better.

The painting Angelus has an interesting patriotic story.
As for La Gioconda, unfortunately I've not seen it in the Louvre so I don't have a full feeling but my friend who saw it there agrees with you.

Loki

Reader
The painting Angelus has an interesting patriotic story.
As for La Gioconda, unfortunately I've not seen it in the Louvre so I don't have a full feeling but my friend who saw it there agrees with you.

I don't know anything about the story of the painting. I just like it. Anyway as soon as I have some time, I'll make some research.

bpop

I'm a big fan of T.F. Chen's work. While an undergraduate in the early '90's, I found a framed print of "City Gleaners" that has been on my wall ever since. To this day, the sight of the Twin Towers is the first thing I see when I walk in my door.

View attachment 67

Chen was born in Taiwan, but has lived most of his adult life in Paris and New York. Here is a link to a brief overview of his work, "Images of a Global Humanity" from the New World Art Center.

Last edited:
F

ferns_dad

i was recently very impressed with Barnaby Furnas' work

barbaby-furnas-hill.jpg

not something I'd want on my wall, but visually stunning and great craftmanship

aquablue

Reader
Anything by Jackson Pollock or Gustav Klimt. The latter being my all-time favorite painter.

klimpt.jpg

Absolutely beautiful - to the extreme. The fine details is furious.

Last edited:

Jayaprakash

Reader
I'm very fond of this wonderful, sombre painting by Caspar David Friedrich, but there are many other favourites, some of which others have mentioned in this thread:

Friedrich_Cloister_Cemetery_in_the_Snow_1817-19.jpg