Your favourite painting

Jayaprakash

Reader
Zdzisław Beksiński is another of my favourite artists. This is my favourite work by him:

picture.php

titania7

Reader
Here's one of my favorite paintings. . . "The Fisherman and the Siren" by
Lord Frederic Leighton.

Enjoy.

Best,
Alexis

"I will not be triumphed over." ~Cleopatra~

Omo

Reader
I cannot name a favourite painter, for there are quite a few artists whose works I enjoy a lot, but I enjoy them from a layperson's perspective. I hardly know anything about painting, albeit one might argue that an extensive reading of literary fiction sharpens the aesthetical senses also for other realms of arts.

Some things I like: the paintings of Caravaggio, the views of Dresden in Carl Gustav Carus' works (someone who stands - unjustly as I think - in Caspar David Friedrich's shadow), quite a few people that have been mentioned already in this thread, like Monet, Renoir, Klimt, even Bosch at times.
Marc Chagall I've never really appreciated, but there is one painting that fascinates me: The Cloud. It's a view from a room with a window into a landscape, the window is open and a cloud enters the room, half still part of the landscape, half already maintaining its own existence.
Serov's "Girl with peaches" alone would make it worth for me to visit the Tretyakovskaya, I have loved it for many years.

learna

Reader
Learna those Ukrainian landscapes reminded me of the nineteenth century Luminist Movement in American painting.

http://blog.onlineposterprinting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/luminism.jpg

This blog features a number of Luminist works.

Stapleton Kearns: More luminist painting

Thank you for the links, Beelzebubble. "The Old hunting Grounds" reminded me the pictures by the maestro of the pine forest, Shishkin. It seems that we are in the cycle but aren't they similar a little? :)

Last edited:

learna

Reader
Serov's "Girl with peaches" alone would make it worth for me to visit the Tretyakovskaya, I have loved it for many years.

Omo, "Girl with peaches" by Serov is one of my favourite paintings and it was in my plans to post it here. Now I'll do it with a real pleasure.

Omo

Reader
Omo, "Girl with peaches" by Serov is one of my favourite paintings and it was in my plans to post it here. Now I'll do it with a real pleasure.

Thanks for posting it. Once again I have to marvel at it, the beauty is in its simplicity. Have you had a chance to see the original?

Some years ago I spent a summer in Peterburg and every weekend I would go either to the Russian Museum or to the Eremitage, and even though I was there for some weeks there was no chance for me to see the whole exhibitions. I would love to go there again.

Heteronym

Reader
I'm loving this thread so far. It's lead me to discover some interesting painters.

Now allow me to share some of my favorite paintings:

Giorgio de Chirico's The Red Tower

TheRedTower.jpg

Remedios Varo's Paradise of Cats

Parasodelosgatos.jpg

Dorothea Tanning's Birthday

Birthday.jpg

Odilon Redon's Angel in Chains

AngelinChains.jpg

Liam

Administrator
I like the doors opening on more doors. My sister and I used to paint and draw doors opening on other doors in our youth.
And I absolutely love, worship and adore Dorothea Tanning, so I have to thank Heteronym for posting this.

Janet, this particular painting is housed by the Museum of your very own hometown, where I had the pleasure of contemplating it for about half-an-hour last summer, when I came down to Philly to visit my best friend.

I'm not sure if you guys know this already (it becomes much more obvious when you're standing closer to the painting, which is rather largish), but the woman's dress is actually made up of rootlike protuberances that are penises, breasts and severed legs in disguise! I'm sure we noticed a couple of testicles in there somewhere as well. :p

dorothea-tanning-birthday-1942.jpg

Sorry, but I couldn't find a bigger image.

L.

learna

Reader
Thanks for posting it. Once again I have to marvel at it, the beauty is in its simplicity. Have you had a chance to see the original?

Some years ago I spent a summer in Peterburg and every weekend I would go either to the Russian Museum or to the Eremitage, and even though I was there for some weeks there was no chance for me to see the whole exhibitions. I would love to go there again.

I have not seen the original either. Really, we should have long lives to see all paintings we're interested in :). But I hope next time when you visit Russia you'll have a chance to see "Girl with peaches". When I visited Tretyakovskaya Gallery last time Kuindzhi's paintings had a first priority.
In 1880 he held an exhibition for one painting that was a great siccess. There is even a legend about it, they said Kuindzhi used a candle behind his work to achieve the tricks of lighting.

Last edited: