Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Daniel del Real

I've searched on Youtube the announcements for years 2005-2017**. Cannot locate earlier ones and from 2018 onwards (M . Malm era) the audience was managed by invite only with no crowding around the lectern by reporters, fans and photographers. Two winners in particular elicit almost no audience response - those were Modiano in 2014 and Ishiguro in 2017. All others get a positive response, most enthusiastic I would say were Lessing, Pinter, Transtromer and Yan.

** 2008/Le Clezio - couldn't find realtime announcement with audience reaction.

Here's the announcement when Saramago won in 1998.

Ben Jackson

Yeah. Remember when there were exclamations of surprise & awe after they winner was announced?
Since they started allowing media only to the announcement it has become a total bore without any real emotions from the crowd.
Now if you add Mats Malm, well...you know the results.

Watching the announceements from years ago, I remembered the excitement of the journalists hearing Grass, Transtromer, Lessing been announced. The one that made me laugh was Le Clezio, a journalist once asked who he was, and Engdahl mentioned Revolution of Le Clesio as one of his best works. There was also excitement when Pamuk and Pinter was announced, somewhat confusion about Jelinek and Herta Muller, but the finest moments was the thrilling announcement of Transtromer (there was instant cheer and clappings from the crowd) and the air of suspense from Danius in announcing Dylan and Ishiguro. But now, with Malm, we're in the years of dryness.

I also missed the designed diplomas, the finest for me been Transtromer and Solzhenistyn. Now, the diploma is just like the current times: unadorned and uninspiring.

ministerpumpkin

I've searched on Youtube the announcements for years 2005-2017**. Cannot locate earlier ones and from 2018 onwards (M . Malm era) the audience was managed by invite only with no crowding around the lectern by reporters, fans and photographers. Two winners in particular elicit almost no audience response - those were Modiano in 2014 and Ishiguro in 2017. All others get a positive response, most enthusiastic I would say were Lessing, Pinter, Transtromer and Yan.

I found 2008 and a few pre-2005 announcements on the Nobel website. I didn't look past 1997, but 2000 seems to be the earliest*.

*Edit: Just saw that Daniel posted the 1998 announcement.

Ben Jackson

You can search on the Nobel Prize website, for example: Announcement of 2006 Nobel Literature Prize. The website has clips for 1998, 99, 00, 04---- till date. I haven't seen 2001--2003 and the years before 1998.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Poor Mats Malm! His announcements lack some of the excitement earlier ones had but I don’t think he’s all that bad

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
I think a lot of the austere solemnity we're seeing with Malm's announcements is a direct result of the Arnault affair. I'm sure the Nobel Fund wanted the announcements to seem more professional, hence the debriefing panel directly after, reminiscent of the science awards. The situation isn't helped, however, in that Malms is not very charismatic, but I don't think he's to blame for everything.

Papageno

They are simplifying things. The beautiful art work on the diplomas has disappeared too.
Yes, I agree with you and the others 100%. Just for the sake of systematization, I think we can list four distinct ways in which this phenomenon of simplification is manifesting:
(1) just boring unenthusiastic journalists in the audience; why can't we go? We'd create an atmosphere;
(2) Mats Malm, who looks permanently bored. I miss Sara Danius so much. Even though I disagree with the Dylan prize vehemently, one could see that she relishes the excitement she has generated, and that is the true spirit of the Nobel Prize. I also miss Peter Englund;
(3) very generic citations (this has started with Glück, I believe ("for her unmistakable poetic voice" - I mean, would they have given it to someone "for her generic poetic voice?")). what happened to "the cartography of power" or "the landscape of the dispossessed?";
(4) no art on the diplomas! I think it is nothing short of a scandal that they stopped including the artwork in the diplomas, and I wonder why journalists, ever so keen on bashing the Nobel committee, do not press them on that issue. I mean, look at Patrick Modiano's diploma: it is nothing short of a spectacular work of art, in the best tradition of livre d'artiste, an artistic vision inspired by Modiano's work, but which is a work of art in itself... Less than a decade later, his compatriote Annie Ernaux got the generic one-size-fits-all one. I think putting them one by one brings out the contrast.
1696816127405.png1696816133682.png

Leseratte

Yes, I agree with you and the others 100%. Just for the sake of systematization, I think we can list four distinct ways in which this phenomenon of simplification is manifesting:
(1) just boring unenthusiastic journalists in the audience; why can't we go? We'd create an atmosphere;
(2) Mats Malm, who looks permanently bored. I miss Sara Danius so much. Even though I disagree with the Dylan prize vehemently, one could see that she relishes the excitement she has generated, and that is the true spirit of the Nobel Prize. I also miss Peter Englund;
(3) very generic citations (this has started with Glück, I believe ("for her unmistakable poetic voice" - I mean, would they have given it to someone "for her generic poetic voice?")). what happened to "the cartography of power" or "the landscape of the dispossessed?";
(4) no art on the diplomas! I think it is nothing short of a scandal that they stopped including the artwork in the diplomas, and I wonder why journalists, ever so keen on bashing the Nobel committee, do not press them on that issue. I mean, look at Patrick Modiano's diploma: it is nothing short of a spectacular work of art, in the best tradition of livre d'artiste, an artistic vision inspired by Modiano's work, but which is a work of art in itself... Less than a decade later, his compatriote Annie Ernaux got the generic one-size-fits-all one. I think putting them one by one brings out the contrast.
View attachment 2289View attachment 2290
Ÿes. In short they took everything out of the prize that made for beauty and specifity.

Leseratte

I think a lot of the austere solemnity we're seeing with Malm's announcements is a direct result of the Arnault affair. I'm sure the Nobel Fund wanted the announcements to seem more professional, hence the debriefing panel directly after, reminiscent of the science awards. The situation isn't helped, however, in that Malms is not very charismatic, but I don't think he's to blame for everything.
That is not his fault but the announcer needn't be an actor of Hollywood but he might be better chosen.
Mÿ secret and pretentious hope is that someone important reads this thread and that they will improve on the announcement next year

Last edited:

Hamishe22

View attachment 2289View attachment 2290
Oh I had forgotten about Glück's citation. Yup, it's poetry. No mistaking it with a cartoon or a box of milk. It can only be poetry.

Benny Profane

Off-topic: well, for all those who are asking himself/herself about no women prize in Literature for this year, stay happy!
Claudia Goldin won the Nobel Prize in Economics alone (an unprecedent fact because she was the first woman who won the Nobel Prize alone).

I think she would win in 2021 alongside David Card for their studies on Labour Market and I also think this fault an absurdist event (unfairness is very common in Economic SA).

Her body of work includes gender gap, labor market for women, racism in the labour market, human capital, women trade-off between work, pills and babies and many peculiarities.

I do recommend her masterpiece written with her husband Lawrence Katz called The Race Between Education and Technology.

Benny Profane

About the lack of motivation on Nobel Prize in general, I notice that this phenomenon is generalized because the audience is dropping and the most of people don't care more about the Nobel event.

On the one hand, SA has been facing the complains and the allegations that the prize is Eurocentric and chauvinist. So, because of that,
we can constate that the Nobel week is a protocolar event with compromised choices.

On the other hand, normal and common people don't worth about Sciences and Literature in general because almost of them are entertained with screens and social media. Complex subjects are so much information for millennials in general and many of them like to have "likes" with useless discussions, plastic surgeries and poses in paradisiacal places. Gen Y and Gen Z don't have the suitable motivation to be scientists or writers.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I don't have proof, obviously, but I think part of the reason for the simplification of the diplomas might be the fact that they want them to look the same for everyone, sort of like the Oscar statuettes are the same: no one stands out as "unique" except for the fact that they got the award in the first place.

alik-vit

Reader
I don't have proof, obviously, but I think part of the reason for the simplification of the diplomas might be the fact that they want them to look the same for everyone, sort of like the Oscar statuettes are the same: no one stands out as "unique" except for the fact that they got the award in the first place.
But almost all of diplomas for scientists keep the paintings.

Weejay

^Wasn't there a guy from the radio in Sweden who used to attend the announcement and shout "At last!" when the name was read as a joke about how obscure the winner usually was?

Yeah, that was journalist, comedian and provocateur Gert Fylking (friend of Horace Engdahl)

A nice video of the two of them going through book recommendations for christmas in Sweden