Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Benny Profane

Our citations are better:

@Ben Jackson: "for outstanding productions which with musical flow and clear-sightenedness illuminate the essence of reality and being."
@nagisa: "for his sparse and haunting images and rhythms that express the essence of human experience"

And the diploma by @hayden:

Thank you, guys, for this incredible and delightful moment!

Marba

Reader
Fosse interviewed by Norwegian TV:

I was surprised, but I know I've been in the speculations for about 10 years so I was a bit ready for it. It is an acknowledgement of the more than 50 works I have published for 40 years. I don't compete with my earlier writings, I am just happy to write and that people enjoy my writings. It is a good timing to receive the award now when I have published all of the Septology. On receiving a greater audience now I am more happy to write and be published and do not care that much about that a lot more people will read me now. I do not think the Nobel will affect my writing process as I have my customs since long time.

Papageno

I am happy for Jon Fosse! Out of the things I read, I really liked Det er Ales.

I am looking forward to reading the Septology in due course.

I am also so happy that they mentioned Tarjei Vesaas in the announcement (as being a part of the tradition which includes Fosse), although it is a shame that Vesaas never got the prize.

Having read a number of his works, I'm pleased to see it go to him, although I'm always hoping to be "Gurnah'd" again.

If I'm counting right (never guaranteed) he's the fourth Norwegian winner. I presume he's the first one who writes in Nynorsk though?

Z--

The first great choice of the 2020s.

Septology is personally my favorite work of the 21st century (so far). Mesmerizing style -- genuinely felt like I was in a trance reading it. It greatly eclipses his other works, which range from good to very good.

How devastating his musings are on loss.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Having read a number of his works, I'm pleased to see it go to him, although I'm always hoping to be "Gurnah'd" again.

If I'm counting right (never guaranteed) he's the fourth Norwegian winner. I presume he's the first one who writes in Nynorsk though?

Yeah he's the fourth, after Bjornson, Hamsun and Undset, and the first in almost a century

Ben Jackson

Our citations are better:

@Ben Jackson: "for outstanding productions which with musical flow and clear-sightenedness illuminate the essence of reality and being."
@nagisa: "for his sparse and haunting images and rhythms that express the essence of human experience"

And the diploma by @hayden:

Thank you, guys, for this incredible and delightful moment!

There's something I have observed concerning Nobel citations these days. Let's look at some winners

"Who in wide-cultural perspective and poetic overtones fashion drama of existence" on Soyinka

"Epicist of female experience who with fiery and visionary fire" on Doris Lessing

Bringing these two citations, one could see the insight and originality from the jury. But now:

"Innovative plays and prose which gives voice to the unsayable" Fosse
"Austere beauty which gives voice universal" Gluck.

Final thought: Nobel Committee has declined in providing quality and citation and going for common speech. The Nobel Committee should take a cue from us and consider us external experts.

Edit: I thought the official citation for Wolfie/Nobel Laureate Jon Fosse was the one brought up by Nagisa?

Marba

Reader
I guess I'll have to give it a try to the Septology, because so far Aliss at the Fire and Trilogy didn't do the trick.

On the other hand, here it goes another prize to Europe from Europe. This prize is far from being really "universal".

From the critics in the TV studio as good starting points one suggested Morning and Evening or a short-story collection, the second suggested Closed Guitar, and the third suggested the Septology.

It was actually brought up in the TV studio that it was brave of the SA to dare to award someone from a neighbouring country. On universality I think Fosse is among the most performed playwrights in the world, but I see your point.