Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Daniel del Real

I watched the announcement this year. It looked like a purely bureaucratic event. No enthusiasm, not a single joke to warm up the atmosphere, SA was discharging an annual duty. It was very disappointing.
Yeah. Remember when there were exclamations of surprise & awe after they winner was announced?
Since they started allowing media only to the announcement it has become a total bore without any real emotions from the crowd.
Now if you add Mats Malm, well...you know the results.

Leseratte

Yeah. Remember when there were exclamations of surprise & awe after they winner was announced?
Since they started allowing media only to the announcement it has become a total bore without any real emotions from the crowd.
Now if you add Mats Malm, well...you know the results.
?

Benny Profane

No prize's announcement will reach the excitement of the crowd of the 2011's announcement.
There are a lot of things behind that, even a child crying. LOL!

I miss Englund as announcer so much...

Last edited:

Benny Profane

I watched again the announcement I and noticed that Malms was quite tense and nervous.
Is it my impression?

Last edited:

Mise Eire

Reader
I've searched on Youtube the announcements for years 2005-2017**. Cannot locate earlier ones and from 2018 onwards (M . Malm era) the audience was managed by invite only with no crowding around the lectern by reporters, fans and photographers. Two winners in particular elicit almost no audience response - those were Modiano in 2014 and Ishiguro in 2017. All others get a positive response, most enthusiastic I would say were Lessing, Pinter, Transtromer and Yan.

** 2008/Le Clezio - couldn't find realtime announcement with audience reaction.

The Common Reader

No prize's announcement will reach the excitement of the crowd of the 2011's announcement.
There are a lot of things behind that, even a child crying. LOL!

I miss Englund as announcer so much...
In terms of sheer excitement nothing will ever match the late great Sara Danius announcing the award in 2016. If you watch this, stay for the interview with her afterwards. It is heartbreaking that she is no longer with us, but her passion and intelligence remain.

Leseratte

In terms of sheer excitement nothing will ever match the late great Sara Danius announcing the award in 2016. If you watch this, stay for the interview with her afterwards. It is heartbreaking that she is no longer with us, but her passion and intelligence remain.
What happened to her, CR?

Hamishe22

Watch the Nobel Peace Prize announcement too. It's really moving and impactful. Of course, I'm biased because I really admire the winner. But it's very different.

Daniel del Real

That announcement did way more harm to the Nobel Prize than the later scandal in 2018.

By the way, did you see how she never uses the word "writer" or "poet" before Zimmerman's name? It says a lot.