Recent content by Z--

1. Z--

Most Disappointing Reads of 2023

I'm afraid I felt this way as well. Disgraceful publishing of a glorified short-story into a novel. Worse yet, the central conceit - the character monologues reflecting their interiority and separation - had been better handled earlier (over 80 years ago, no less!) in Woolf's magnificent The...
  2. Z--

João Guimarães Rosa

Good news, folks. Alison Entrekin, who is release a new translation of Rosa's masterpiece, has provided an update. Knock on wood but it looks like it may come soon! I can't wait to read this. From the translator below: *Several things have changed ? , as this was still a work-in-progress when...
  3. Z--

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Glad to see someone mention Adonis. He has my vote, alongside Pynchon. Many close candidates for third.
  4. Z--

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Some thoughts, now that I have a moment of rest from work. Foremost, it's been a real pleasure engaging with you WLF folks in the 2023 thread. It's my first time engaging -- and hopefully -- not the last. Barring the disappointment of predictability, Fosse is a spectacular choice. I stand by...
  5. Z--

Top 5 Favorite Nobel Prize Winners?

Very wise choice to wait! Fosse may well be in mine as well, though it's very close...
  6. Z--

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

The first great choice of the 2020s. Septology is personally my favorite work of the 21st century (so far). Mesmerizing style -- genuinely felt like I was in a trance reading it. It greatly eclipses his other works, which range from good to very good. How devastating his musings are on loss.
  7. Z--

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Jon Fosse!!!! Great choice!
  8. Z--

I agree with this. Kind of pointless to fight here, as the thread will be gone shortly, so no benefits for posterity's sake.
  9. Z--

T-minus a few hours...wonder if the winner has received the call yet.
  10. Z--

My own two cents. Transparently, I've been quite unimpressed by the first three 2020 choices, especially compared to the first three in 2000 or 2010. While I read far less poetry than I do novels or theater, it's disheartening that Adonis -- whom I believe a far more deserving winner than most...
  11. Z--

Top 5 Favorite Nobel Prize Winners?

My favorite Nobel winners alongside my favorite works from each. I'm exploring a number of winners this year, so as expected, this list is subject to change. Beckett (Trilogy) Faulkner (Absalom, Absalom!) Mahfouz (Cairo Trilogy) Marquez (100 Years of Solitude) Mann (The Magic Mountain)
  12. Z--

Would love to get your thoughts on Gao Xingjian and Mo Yan.
  13. Z--

Edith Grossman (1936-2023)

While I cannot broadly speak to other translations (as I only compared the first pages from multiple translations), her rendition of Don Quixote in English is incredibly smooth and flows beautifully. Ben, your comparison to Wood is perfect. Rest in peace.
  14. Z--

Recently finished books?

Very happy to see this praise. Dazai is an absolute favorite of mine based on Setting Sun and No Longer Human, and I was wondering how he'd read in an even shorter format. Have you read No Longer Human? Curious if Flowers cleanly ties into it.
  15. Z--

Amen, Septularisen, amen. I've only read Kafka on the Shore, and it thought it was decent if not forgettable. I've certainly read worse. Would be a shame if he won, though. That said, I can think of a few worse options. Heaven forbid the committee ever selecting: (i) King (McDonalds in your...