Academic jobs in the US

errequatro

Reader
Dears,

I have just applied for an academic job in the US.
But it's not the most obvious of places:

Notre Dame University, Indiana.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of cost of living, salary, etc...

Can anyone fill me in, even if just a little?

(this is all theorectical of course, I don't even know if I'll make it to the interview stage).

Leseratte

Dears,

I have just applied for an academic job in the US.
But it's not the most obvious of places:

Notre Dame University, Indiana.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of cost of living, salary, etc...

Can anyone fill me in, even if just a little?

(this is all theorectical of course, I don't even know if I'll make it to the interview stage).
Good Luck, R4! Good English will be an asset I believe and being specialized in your area, which of course you are.

errequatro

Reader
I have never worked there, but the Euro and the Dollar seem to be more or less aligned at present.
either way, better than the PLN (zloty, currency I am currently pais in)... and I bet any money that the salary is higher than the 975 euros I make a month as an Assistant Professor...

errequatro

Reader
Here's a link you might find helpful:

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I have seen lots of articles about the topic, but all of them quite dry... This one is great because of its human element. ;)

Liam

Administrator
In terms of how to "behave": remember to pretend to enjoy American football, be able to make small talk (many Europeans struggle with this and find it a disingenuous part of American culture), never share anything too personal that can be used against you (I'm afraid many of our fellow academics can be quite nasty and enjoy getting people fired over nothing), and be prepared to be a slave to the university for the first few years, LOL. That being said, Notre Dame is a VERY good school and I almost ended up applying to it myself because of their excellent Irish Studies program (at the time, not sure if they still offer it). Good luck, and I hope you get the position! :)

Leseratte

either way, better than the PLN (zloty, currency I am currently pais in)... and I bet any money that the salary is higher than the 975 euros I make a month as an Assistant Professor...
In Brazil the last I knew, but this is years ago, is that a "professor concursado" of a state university made about the double of this.

errequatro

Reader
In Brazil the last I knew, but this is years ago, is that a "professor concursado" of a state university made about the double of this.
yeah, I know... Poland is ridiculous in the treatment they give to teachers (of all levels)... Just to put things in perspective, my partner is about to start her first(!) job in a corporation. She hasn't finished her PhD yet but she is not considering pursuing an academic career. Her salary will be 5500 PLN. Mine, and bear in mind I am nearly an Associate Professor, is 5450 PLN.
And I don't mean this in any demeaning way... I have no problem with my partner earning more than I do, whatsoever.... It's just that being a teacher or an academic in Poland is an act of masochism...

Last edited:

errequatro

Reader
yeah, I know... Poland is ridiculous in the treatment they give to teachers (of all levels)... Just to put things in perspective, my partner is about to start her first(!) job in a corporation. She hasn't finished her PhD yet but she is not considering pursuing an academic career. Her salary will be 5500 PLN. Mine, and bear in mind I am nearly an Associate Professor, is 5450 PLN.
this is one of the reasons why I want to move out of Poland. My partner is Polish and that's the only thing "holding me back" at the moment... But I had enough of working two jobs and since inflation has been in double digits for a while now, life has become quite expensive (on top of the crazy government).

Leseratte

And I don't mean this in any demeaning way... I have no problem with my partner earning more than I do, whatsoever.... It's just that being a teacher or an academic in Poland is an act of masochism...
Poland? I thought you were based in Portugal, mainly because of ALA. Maybe, if Indiana doesn´t come of, you should keep a look out for opportunities in European universities.

errequatro

Reader
Poland? I thought you were based in Portugal, mainly because of ALA. Maybe, if Indiana doesn´t come of, you should keep a look out for opportunities in European universities.
I wish I was based in Portugal... to be fair, I am keeping an eye out for oportunities in Portugal too... and in the rest of Europe. I wouldn't even mind moving back to the UK (even though it's a nightmare at the moment)... But hey, the field I am in is... rather small....

Leseratte

I wish I was based in Portugal... to be fair, I am keeping an eye out for oportunities in Portugal too... and in the rest of Europe. I wouldn't even mind moving back to the UK (even though it's a nightmare at the moment)... But hey, the field I am in is... rather small....
That the field is rather small I can understand. I suppose it would be a bit easier if you were a Portuguese Language Professor. But, on the other hand, you are an EU citizen. And you have UK experience.

Benny Profane

R4, forgive me for the question, but I'd like to know...
Are you Portuguese or British with Portuguese ancestry?

Well, if you are Portuguese, Brazil has some programs of reciprocity and exchange with Portugal and Portuguese researchers.
I known some Brazilian cities are ultra-violent but other cities are calm and have high quality of life such as Maringá, Blumenau, Joinville, Londrina, Toledo and Curitiba.
Since your wife is Polish, many of these cities I've cited have great communities of people with Polish heritage and your wife will be welcome.

About the salary, you can gain double or triple (in many cases) what your earns in Polish and your wife will work from home.

Leseratte

R4, forgive me for the question, but I'd like to know...
Are you Portuguese or British with Portuguese ancestry?

Well, if you are Portuguese, Brazil has some programs of reciprocity and exchange with Portugal and Portuguese researchers.
I known some Brazilian cities are ultra-violent but other cities are calm and have high quality of life such as Maringá, Blumenau, Joinville, Londrina, Toledo and Curitiba.
Since your wife is Polish, many of these cities I've cited have great communities of people with Polish heritage and your wife will be welcome.

About the salary, you can gain double or triple (in many cases) what your earns in Polish and your wife will work from home.
But I think you would need a university with a Portuguese Literature Department, where you could lecture either as a visiting professor from Europe or as a "concursado". USP here in São Paulo has this kind of Department but I don´t know about the other universities: https://dlcv.fflch.usp.br/

Benny Profane

But I think you would need a university with a Portuguese Literature Department, where you could lecture either as a visiting professor from Europe or as a "concursado". USP here in São Paulo has this kind of Department but I don´t know about the other universities: https://dlcv.fflch.usp.br/
To be a full employee ("professor concursado") requires a lot of free time for the preparation because the exames ("concursos") are competitive, irregular and seasonal.
And São Paulo (capital) is a chaotic city with high cost of living. I don't know if @errequatro will enjoyed the experience.

But he could apply for medium and small cities of São Paulo. Maybe Campinas (UNICAMP), São José do Rio Preto (UNESP), São Carlos (UFSCAR) and many other cities. You know more than me.

He could apply for Lecturer ("Professor Substituto") and after for "Professor Assistente" (Assistant Professor).

I cited those cities above because they are characterized for having high inputs of Polish imigrants and many people with Polish heritage.

Last edited: