Active Members?

Stevie B

Current Member
Active members: 875? I don't think so. There are about 50 of us, no more, :rolleyes:.

This figure, it seems to me, reinforces the need to be friendlier and more welcoming to new members. I know I haven't always sent greetings to new members (perhaps because we have a lot of one-and-done posters), but I'll try harder in the future.

On a completely unrelated side note, I have completed 17 of 30 radiation treatments and 2 of 5 chemo treatments, and I'm still holding on to most of my hair. I have had a few rough days, but many good ones so I can't complain so far.

Liam

Administrator
Feel better, Stevie, and stay active, :). I, for one, appreciate your continued presence around here.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
On a completely unrelated side note, I have completed 17 of 30 radiation treatments and 2 of 5 chemo treatments, and I'm still holding on to most of my hair. I have had a few rough days, but many good ones so I can't complain so far.
I wish the best of luck Stevie. Even though I'm just a newbie here, I consider all the other fellow book-loving members of this forum as friends that I haven't personally met yet. And I'd like to thank you and all the other earlier members who have kept this Forum open and welcoming to others.

Flint

Reader
Stevie, keep the high spirits (and hold on to your hair and to your Zweig moustache) :)

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Thanks for the encouragement Liam, Cleanthess, and Flint (I'm impressed you ID'd my Zweig avatar). My treatment is impacting my vocal cords so doctors are recommending that I not return to teaching until spring term. This means I'll have plenty of time to lurk around here as well as catch up on those books I've been meaning to read for years.

Liam

Administrator
I hope they were all reported to the proper authorities, :). I don't know what whipped them into such hysteria this last month especially. I don't think we've ever encountered so many spammers before.

Stiffelio

Reader
So whatever happened to Eric? After the latest dispute (which was discussed on this thread but hence obliterated) he's been called to silence!!

Liam

Administrator
OK, it's been three days. I think he's just busy. I'm sure he'll be back on air shortly, :).

Daniel del Real

Thanks for the encouragement Liam, Cleanthess, and Flint (I'm impressed you ID'd my Zweig avatar). My treatment is impacting my vocal cords so doctors are recommending that I not return to teaching until spring term. This means I'll have plenty of time to lurk around here as well as catch up on those books I've been meaning to read for years.

Your students sure will be missing your knowledge and, on the other hand, we'll be enjoying it here. Thanks for being around and be an important part of this forum.

Daniel del Real

I hope they were all reported to the proper authorities, :). I don't know what whipped them into such hysteria this last month especially. I don't think we've ever encountered so many spammers before.

We have to group inactive members into some of these categories:

- Spammers 10%
- Lazy students who wants their homeworks to be done 10%
- Nobel enthusiasts that come for a week in early October and leave after the announcement. 20%
- People frighten off by Eric 60%

Elie

Reader
Yes, I've noticed a spike in activity since the Nobel speculation started. It will be interesting to see how many people stick around.

Not that I can talk, mind.

Hamlet

Reader
Active members is a strange term, it throws up an image of members doing star-jumps!

This 'one post and leave' effect is a curious aspect to this site, along with the number of spammers. I guess that's just the web?

Bubba

Reader
We have to group inactive members into some of these categories:

- Spammers 10%
- Lazy students who wants their homeworks to be done 10%
- Nobel enthusiasts that come for a week in early October and leave after the announcement. 20%
- People frighten off by Eric 60%

You are forgetting the 85% who are no longer active here because they're bored by WLF now that interesting posters like Paul Dorrell and, it seems, Eric have been driven away.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Great point Bubba. And since we're remembering the Titans that once grazed on these savannahs and graced this forum let me mention two more: Mirabell (mirabile dictu!) and titanic Titania.

Eric come back. Honest.

M

maidenhair

I have been seeing Eric here on each of the last few days, so I do not understand what you are actually talking about. He just has not posted the last few days.

Active Members are again up around 800, that did not help for very long. Spam sign-ups are appearing quicker than anyone can delete them :rolleyes: